JLpaulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
20180810_172837.jpg

There's probably better options now but I loved the cot. Fits perfect with the passenger seat all the way forward.
Looks like a great solution as the cot looks relatively flat. Are the seats folded down or removed? If seats are in, does it work with the front cot legs folded up and cot platform sits directly on top of the folded down seat?
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I did a simple setup in the back of my JLU for Utah trips. I put down a piece of plywood to flatten out the slope of the rear seats, I added a 4" thick folding mattress I bought from Amazon, and I put my sleeping bag on top of it. I also made a simple shelf to sit in the back to hold some of my gear while I'm sleeping. I put my food and cooking gear in 2 cardboard boxes and they can set on top of the shelf as well as my folding chairs and folding table. When driving I would normally put the chairs and table on top of the mattress. The shelf fits around the rear rollbars so it doesn't move sideways or front to back, and you can see the little lip I put on the front of the shelf to keep the boxes from sliding off. Elsewhere in the back I had my stove, water jug, ice chest and suitcase. I made some quick screens to fit over the tops of the rear doors so I could roll the windows down a bit and keep out the bugs. It's a little cozy but worked well. I used this setup so I could sit up in the back and read at night. I spent 6 nights in the back and it worked well.
I expected to make several trips this way last year but only made 1 because my other trips had other people along so we used a tent. Before my next trip I'll build a better shelf in the back without the legs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_4251b

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_4253b

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_4262b

Last edited:

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Tried sleeping in the rear of my 4Runner and never made it more than 90 min or so. Just couldn't get comfortable. So it was never a consideration when I bought my jeep and I got the 2 dr. I love it. I use a Coleman 4 person pop up tent with an expensive Nebo air mattress. I sleep better with this set up than I do at home.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
venture4WD
Chris has lived in his Rubicon for over 5 years. Rooftop tent.

Most of his videos are amazing.

j.stotts

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I sleep comfortably inside my Jeep with an 80lb German Shepherd. I just use my hammock sleeping pad and a jacket that I stuff in the Grand Canyon of a crack that’s created when you drop your seats.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? F0415E8C-562C-4A6F-ADA2-868567499CC8
Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? 19311E7E-EA75-448B-9FBF-EB9A24E46D75

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and a jacket that I stuff in the Grand Canyon of a crack that’s created when you drop your seats
You can buy a 2' x 4' piece of 1/2" plywood at your local Lowes or Home Depot to lay over that uneven area.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've slept in the back of my JLUR a frew times. Find a mostly kevel spot. Slide the passenger front seat all the way forward, Lay down the back seats. Put in my thermarest, pillow and sleeping bag.
Mine has the cover between the cargo area and seats..

randeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JL Willys
I've slept in my 2dr. Deepsleep mattress, foam pad cut to fit, sheets and a couple of blankets. I made some custom screens for the windows to keep bugs out. Comfortable and toasty warm!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? deepslee
are you 5 feet tall?! I don't see any way this could work for someone 6ft

I've slept in the back of a JLU, along with a surfboard and backpack while doing a PCH surf road trip. did a week and a half up and back, San Diego to Santa Cruz.

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I've slept a few times in my JLU, Deepsleep setup. It's one of the reasons I'm sticking with a 4 door.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Here's a video of our setup. It is quite a bit like WildBlue's.
I enjoyed watching your build! Well Done. Was nice to see your design and thoughts particularly on the drawer.. I’m still using my original platform design. I have debated about mounting a drawer under it like you did….but I carry perhaps a bit more gear than you and most of my under the platform space including the little cubby is devoted to equipment (tools, repair gear, recovery gear, tire deflation/ inflation stuff, and so it’s generally things I don’t need every day but I still want to have with me and easy access to. So all my cooking gear, food, water, and boots go into 4 $15 rain “proof” containers that stack neatly during travel and are set outside for camping. Great to see someone putting their design skills to work.
71A0C44B-E8A1-49F3-9623-BAC0661581B3.jpeg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you remove the back seat or build over it?
How do you get in or out? Do you use a side door or use the rear gate? I found that the side doors are much more convenient but require a little more room inside. I would open the side door and back myself in, sit down on the platform and slide the rest of the way in then I could close the side door. I could take my shoes off then swing my legs around. I was sleeping with my feet against the tailgate.
Sponsored