Sponsored

Sleeping in your JL/JLU?

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
You definitely want to make sure you’re on a flat surface. I found I’d slip down a little during the night and my feet would end up on the door.
I have a tip for this as I also spent a terrible night where the campsite had no level ground. I went through a few options and ended up with these Camco Tri Levelers.

Here they are in use:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_0604
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I have a tip for this as I also spent a terrible night where the campsite had no level ground. I went through a few options and ended up with these Camco Tri Levelers.

Here they are in use:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_0604
That’s a great idea! If I do plan on sleeping in it again I’ll have to remember that. Thanks.

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I haven't slept on them yet, but I cut a foam pool noodle to fill the crevice when the back seats are folded down. Can't hurt, cheap. I expect my sleeping pad to bridge that. Stow it in the tote with compressor/toiletry/recovery gear.

20230311_115347.jpg

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Have been on a few different camping trips in my jeep. I’ve tried a few different options. For reference I’m 5’9.
1) 1st several day trip from AZ to Utah I put the seats down and built a small platform to lay across the gap. Put an inflatable air mattress that fit across the back inside. It worked decently well. Issues I ran into was getting in and out with the raised height of the mattress. Other issue…to put in the mattress I had to take everything out of the back of the jeep. Not a problem if you’re a minimalist. But on a multi-day trip I had a several different items and all had to be unpacked nightly.
my friend has the deep sleep. She loved sleeping on it. She also found it frustrating having to daily pack/unpack everything in the back. Also found it a challenge having to climb into the jeep with it inflated since it’s so high. She did say it was very comfortable.

2) next trip—I tried just using half the back of the jeep for sleeping. I stored and organized everything on one side and put down my sleeping pad on the other. This time around I used a 3” memory foam pad plus a sleeping bag on top. The first night I didn’t put anything in the gap. I still could feel the gap. The second night I stuffed something in the gap and that really helped and made it very comfortable. I found it easier to sleep with my head towards the tailgate than by the door. You definitely want to make sure you’re on a flat surface. I found I’d slip down a little during the night and my feet would end up on the door. With my height I barely fit and that’s with moving the passenger seat up. Unfortunately, if I did sleep with my head at the tailgate then I can’t put a shelf across the back which would be helpful.

3) next few day camping trip…with sporadic rain. Having a canopy did help. But still…annoying to have to unload the entire jeep to sleep in the back. Then reload it again when it was time to leave. With the rain it was also annoying having to make sure everything was covered outside the jeep.

4) the final camping trip was up to Utah with unexpected lows in the 20’s. I ended up sleeping in the jeep instead of the tent I’d brought. (Had borrowed it and turns out it was for summer camping). This time around I knew to put something down in the gap. I moved my pad and sleeping gear inside with my portable heater. The heat helped to get the chill out of the air. I was able to pile a lot of the items to one side and only two bins outside. This wasn’t nearly as cumbersome. And I stayed very warm and toasty and slept well. (Compliments to the sleeping bag).

after all this—-I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d rather use a tent vs sleeping in the back of the jeep. I just purchased an instant tent which is super easy and quick to put up. I can set up my sleeping stuff and keep my belongings inside the jeep without having to continually load/unload.
I’d say it can vary greatly depending on the person and the length of trip.
This is true, it's quite a bit of storage tetrix, I basically take my cooler, and all of my stuff except my clothes and put it outside. I've got it down to a bit of a science, but I could see moving to a tent at some point especially as quick as the setup/breakdown now.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
This is true, it's quite a bit of storage tetrix, I basically take my cooler, and all of my stuff except my clothes and put it outside. I've got it down to a bit of a science, but I could see moving to a tent at some point especially as quick as the setup/breakdown now.
Exactly. It’s not hard just one extra thing to have to do daily for setup/breakdown. And if you’re off exploring for the day you still have to reload it all.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Im done with my overlanding mod.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_2208[2].JPG
Any chance you've got a link to that sleeping pad? I've tried a few but they're all 72"+ on Amazon, and I need 71" to actually fit the slot. This looks like it fits perfectly lengthwise.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Has anyone tried sleeping in the back of your JL/JLU? was wondering how it is and wanted to see some peoples setups.
I take out the rear seat and the passenger seat. Roll down windows enough to get fresh air in/out or you will have about a quart of water splashed around the inside of your Jeep, which is about how much water you lose overnight while sleeping.

Be sure to install a extended exhaust tip to route exhaust out side of the cab to prevent pooling of exhaust fumes.

Get a subscription to Sirrus radio for overnight tunes anywhere you go, Engine will idle all night and provide AX/HEAT.

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I've slept a few times in my JLU, Deepsleep setup. It's one of the reasons I'm sticking with a 4 door.
I bought a Deep Sleep solo. I also have a tailgate table that shortens the area by about 3". This is the only time I wish I was 5'6". I added some cheap gym mats under the Deep Sleep to fill in the trench and level things out a little. I've thought about the Goose Gear 60% platform, but my dog likes to look out the window in our daily life so I need a rear seat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_6376

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_6377

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in your JL/JLU? IMG_6375

Last edited:

gt5426c

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I bought a Deep Sleep solo. I also have a tailgate table that shortens the area by about 3". This is the only time I wish I was 5'6". I added some cheap gym mats under the Deep Sleep to fill in the trench and level things out a little. I've thought about the Goose Gear 60% platform, but my dog likes to look out the window in our daily life so I need a rear seat.

View attachment 725783

Recovery boards can do a nice job of leveling out the dip at the back of the jeep.
Sponsored