Sponsored

Sleeping in the back

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
All
How much room is there for sleeping in the back of a JLU? My slight 6'2 frame just barely fits in the back of the JKU diagonally with my head mashed up in the back of the front passenger seat., but there's not quite enough room to stretch all the way out
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
All
How much room is there for sleeping in the back of a JLU? My slight 6'2 frame just barely fits in the back of the JKU diagonally with my head mashed up in the back of the front passenger seat., but there's not quite enough room to stretch all the way out
Quadratec sell a mattress that fits back there. It is 66in long. 5'6" says it fits both JK and JL so both are the same I guess.

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'2 and sleep in the rear diagonally with no issues. That is with the seat pushed all the way forward.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
6'1 and use deepsleep. The dimensions are 72" tall X 52" wide (between doors) so I need to be on a slight angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back 20200626_164610

OP
OP

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Thanks, dudes. With the head rests folding forward as opposed to rearwards in the JK, it looks like there should be enough room for me. Just slide the passenger seat forwards a bit. I have a thermarest trail pro (i think that's the model) and it just barely fits and I sleep pretty well back there now. Its tapered so the foot end slides well in the corner. I also have a giant exped mat as well, but that's square and pretty wide and wont fit diagonally. That guy is for tenting only

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

All
its gonna be the same. im 6'0 and had to sleep diagonally the once i slept in the back

imwazn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I use a deepsleep mattress as well. It's comfortable if I'm diagonal or I can stick my feet over the center console.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
I have a two door so this is not an option, but wondering where do you put all your stuff when you're sleeping?

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I have a two door so this is not an option, but wondering where do you put all your stuff when you're sleeping?
I have a 2-door and I’ve slept in the back. Legs fully stretched out. Here’s how: move all your gear to the driver side, fold forward the passenger seat to use as a back rest, put something soft/pillowy in “rear” footwell. Boom. True, you’re not laying flat, but it was pretty comfortable. I’m 6-foot.
I had a 45qt hard side cooler that I moved to sit long ways down the driver side and put everything on top or behind it. Cheers!

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
I have a 2-door and I’ve slept in the back. Legs fully stretched out. Here’s how: move all your gear to the driver side, fold forward the passenger seat to use as a back rest, put something soft/pillowy in “rear” footwell. Boom. True, you’re not laying flat, but it was pretty comfortable. I’m 6-foot.
I had a 45qt hard side cooler that I moved to sit long ways down the driver side and put everything on top or behind it. Cheers!
I’ve done the same thing on hunting trips in my 2 door and it worked out ok but I’m 6’4 so it took a few beers to get comfortable haha.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I’ve done the same thing on hunting trips in my 2 door and it worked out ok but I’m 6’4 so it took a few beers to get comfortable haha.
I saw a 2-door rigged for 2 people to sleep in ("I am Jake" I think on youtube). He built an elevated platform that could extend over the back of the front seat.

I'm planning on sleeping in the back of my JLU on short trips, a week max. My plan is to remove the back seats, push the passenger front seat all the way forward, build a narrow platform to fit over the missing rear seat, and sleep diagonally. My travel plans have to wait until about March next year so I haven't started the building yet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A few months old, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

If it's not raining, just sleep on the ground or on a cot under the stars. It's really a great sight to see all those stars anyway. Get a canvas bedroll (sleeping bag and pad cover), slip in a comfy pad, your sleeping bag, and a pillow and roll it up. I slept on the ground many nights in a bedroll on horse camping trips and hunting trips. But if you're worried about things crawling into your bag, put it all on a lightweight folding cot. Don't be a wuss, you'll miss out on a great experience of the outdoors. And it's way more comfortable than a closed up, cramped vehicle.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
https://jkloud.us/collections/hammo...eep-wrangler-jl-2-door?variant=32298035937342

This is something ive been looking at for 2 door lightweight sleep options. Got no responses in the camping section so not sure how many here have used it, but I'm going to get it over the summer and will post impressions. Best part is you can keep all your stuff underneath you, and it can be used as a sunshade or cargo cover when its not in hammock mode.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that this was a bump until after I posted, lol.
Sponsored