Sleeping in Jeep without removing seats

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Saw a couple threads where people made cool platforms or used the deep sleep, however, all of them had the rear seat removed. Has anybody come up with a solution with leaving the seats in? It’s a JLUR and I’m just shy of 6’1”.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Saw a couple threads where people made cool platforms or used the deep sleep, however, all of them had the rear seat removed. Has anybody come up with a solution with leaving the seats in? It’s a JLUR and I’m just shy of 6’1”.
Yes, there are mattreses specifically made to fit in back of JL.
Google "sleeping in back JLWranglerforum" and you will find a bunch of threads.

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS
I have/use the DeepSleepForJeep air mattress. The rear seats in the Jeep do NOT have to be removed...simply folded down flat.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
I've done it, and it works, but that gap is so damn miserable. It's not flat, and it just sucks night after night. I finally bit the bullet for the Goose gear platform and couldn't be happier. Nice and flat.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

https://cheaperjeepertv.com/jeep-camping-sleeping-platform-2/

This is what I plan to build soon. I did sleep in the back of the Jeep a couple weeks ago without it, just one of those newer roll-up air mattresses, and it was nice. The platform above would just be slightly nicer and give me more storage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AndrewHW

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I have/use the DeepSleepForJeep air mattress. The rear seats in the Jeep do NOT have to be removed...simply folded down flat.
Do you find that they lay flat enough? I put laid them down and it seems half my body will be elevated and the other half won't be. Not sure if they need to settle a little more and then they will lay flatter.

I've done it, and it works, but that gap is so damn miserable. It's not flat, and it just sucks night after night. I finally bit the bullet for the Goose gear platform and couldn't be happier. Nice and flat.
This would be my desire too but I put 2-3 kids in the backseat several times a week. Maybe in the future.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Do you find that they lay flat enough? I put laid them down and it seems half my body will be elevated and the other half won't be. Not sure if they need to settle a little more and then they will lay flatter.
Do you have the 4xe? If so, the rear seats do not fold flat because of the batteries under the rear seats.

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS

This would be my desire too but I put 2-3 kids in the backseat several times a week. Maybe in the future.
i have a diesel and i assume the other models are the same (except for the 4xe which i don’t know about) but the seats when folded down are fairly flat but not completely. There is a slight elevation/incline near the front seats. I don’t think this negatively impacts the lay at all and i think in some cases it’s even desisted for head elevation like you’d get in a hammock or with a pillow. I doubt it would bother kids when sleeping imo.

the mattress is very comfortable btw and i store i under the center of the rear seat at all times so it’s always in the Jeep.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have that fitted Jeep sleeping mat and tbh if I did it again I'd save $200 and go with an inflatable mattress or something like that. I don't find it very comfortable and it's not as compact as I'd like it to be. It does stay warm which is nice.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The DeepSleep mattress is pretty thick so it doesn't really matter if the rear seats are completely flat or not. Unless you're like that princess and the pea character, you won't be able to feel the seats. 🤣

I find this sleeping arrangement more than adequate for a couple of nights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in Jeep without removing seats IMG_3226

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I found that my soft cooler fit into the gap perfectly. You can also try sleeping the other direction, with your feet over the gap instead of your head.
I’m a few inches taller than you and just did two nights using a standard backpacking air mattress. It worked pretty well, but the length is a bit of a problem. Sleeping at an angle fixed most of it.

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
We have used our DeepSleep for 1 year now, and we just fold down the seats.

As much as we liked the idea of the DeepSleep, it’s not a great solution, in a pinch it will work.

We got it because we wanted a cost effective way to try camping and have some security instead of being on the ground, before splurging on a RRT.

What we didn’t like about sleeping in the Jeep:
- The windows would condensate like crazy, even though we cracked the windows

- It would either be too hot or too cold

- Too cold because we had our windows cracked, in the colder nights the cold sucks out all of the heat from the Jeep, your feet touch the tailgate and it’s cold. We use good sleeping bags/fleece insulation bag and an insulated blanket. We would be cold and our friends in RRT would be comfortable

- Too hot too sleep if it was a hot day and a warmer night

- Having to put our coolers on the roof of the Jeep before bed because of wildlife

- The DeepSleep feels like a waterbed

-Not a lot of headroom

- For 2 adults and a small dog, it’s a bit tight

- If your Jeep is muddy, good chance you’ll get mud on yourself while setting up/getting in and out of the Jeep

-You’ll wake up with the sun, unless you get blackout curtain, but then you might get more condensation
Sponsored