Sponsored

Sleeping in Jeep/RTT how to stay warm in cold weather?

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Any tips on Jeep or RTT sleeping in cold climates? I’m talking sub zero temps

I have a good cold weather sleeping bag, clothes.

I also use an electric blanket inside the sleeping bag, powered by a jackery battery pack. That works great but shuts off after about a 1/2 hour. So the typical night goes: sleep for a couple hours, wake up cold then turn the blanket on again

I know that buddy heaters can technically be used inside but I’ve yet to try that.

anyone have any ideas or tips?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Insulated tent with a zero-degree bag. The interior temp of the tent shouldn't get to freezing, so you should be toasty. I sleep naked, in a down bag with an insulated (air/down mix) pad. I haven't slept sub-zero, but haven't felt the need to heat the tent down to 18-degrees. Never wake up during the night. I'd suggest a base layer that is well-wicking and I can't imagine being cold.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Diesel heater is the optimum setup; dry heat.

That being said, I sleep well into freezing temps in a hammock with a good under quilt and top quilt. You’d probably be fine with layering as opposed to heating the tent.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Heavy wool blanket inside your sleeping bag.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MILT

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Thanks for the quick replies. I may just pick up a better bag. I may try the buddy heater too—it would be nice to not have to melt frozen water to make coffee in the morning

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Body heat loss is a function of evaporation. A mild, but not complete, evaporative barrier will keep you from losing too much body heat. You've heard this before but knew it as layers. It works with heat or cold. Never air seal your sleeping environment and never have any heating device with you in a sealed or partially sealed sleeping environment. Except another warm body. :)

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think melting water is a given. If you're in sub-zero temps you won't keep water from freezing. I'm not trying to be rude, but sub-zero can be fine if you have the gear, but water is what it is, keeping it over 30-degrees warmer than the ambient air outside probably won't happen, and it certainly won't happen in a RTT. Again, not trying to be rude, or sound like a know-it-all, but if you meant sub-freezing, instead of sub-zero in your original post, there is quite a difference. I've camped in temps, often-ish, in the mid-teens. It's cold, but there's no such thing as bad conditions, just bad gear (meaning proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance). You'll be fine, but your water will freeze when you pour it into the coffee pot or into a cup to drink. Assuming your really talking about in the car or a RTT.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nick Jar is spot-on, but you have to make sure your bottle is water-tight. They aren't all built the same. I use Nalgene 32oz/1-liter bottles as they have water-tight lids. They also make different colored lids, which I use to denote water or pee bottles.

I like to make a bottle of strong tea and throw it in the bottom of my bag 15 minutes before I go to bed. It's usually too hot at first, but is still warm by morning (with the right climate bag).

Sponsored

OP
OP
MILT

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Ha; I always did this when younger.
can’t believe I forgot about this. I’m getting too hung up on where stuff “belongs” in my Jeep and not think enough about the camping aspect

:headbang: Thanks for the reminder

OP
OP
MILT

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I think melting water is a given. If you're in sub-zero temps you won't keep water from freezing. I'm not trying to be rude, but sub-zero can be fine if you have the gear, but water is what it is, keeping it over 30-degrees warmer than the ambient air outside probably won't happen, and it certainly won't happen in a RTT. Again, not trying to be rude, or sound like a know-it-all, but if you meant sub-freezing, instead of sub-zero in your original post, there is quite a difference. I've camped in temps, often-ish, in the mid-teens. It's cold, but there's no such thing as bad conditions, just bad gear (meaning proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance). You'll be fine, but your water will freeze when you pour it into the coffee pot or into a cup to drink. Assuming your really talking about in the car or a RTT.
Sub zero as in negative temps. i appreciate all the input. I’ve been too used to glamping and now I’m trying to remember what I used to do when I was younger, while trying to add a little comfort/convenience.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Make sure you have a good sleeping pad with an R Value of at least 4. It won't matter how warm your bag is, if you have a shit sleeping pad you will loose the heat that the bag is trapping. I use the REI inflatable camp bed which has an R Value of 7.6. I've used that with a 0 degree bag in temps in the single digits and have been pretty toasty with appropriate clothing when I sleep inside my Jeep which is colder than an insulted RTT.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Only have camped in the 30’s a few times but my childhood bedroom often had frost on windows (inside). A good hat and warm wool socks help. They are also helpful when you unzip the bag and step out into the morning cold.

Sponsored