Sponsored

SL or XL Load Rating Tires ok? 285/70-17

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Considering SL or XL rated tires instead of C since they are quite a bit lighter. Anyone have experience with these on 17" wheels? Been looking AT Toyo ATIII and Nitto Terra Grappler G2's.

I'm coming off 255/70-18's on a Sahara. No mods now or planned to add much weight. I drive on pavement and light duty forest service and gravel roads occasionally. Concerned if the lighter duty tires would feel too squirmy as far as cornering on pavement.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'd think twice. For us old guys those would be 4 ply car tires. Translated means thin sidewalls and a face that does not like rocks (or potholes). They pretty much have to be inflated to their max sidewall psi. If you will go to load range C (6ply) you will have a much more robust tire that can be aired down for ride comfort. Just my opinion, I'm no tire engineer, just an old guy with a bunch of miles.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The answer is "no". They are lighter because there is less material in the tire. If you really wanted to save a bunch of weight, you could make them out of paper mache, but it too wouldn't be a good idea...although, again, you'd save a bunch of weight. The minimum load range for your vehicle should be a "C"

OP
OP
df007

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
The answer is "no". They are lighter because there is less material in the tire. If you really wanted to save a bunch of weight, you could make them out of paper mache, but it too wouldn't be a good idea...although, again, you'd save a bunch of weight. The minimum load range for your vehicle should be a "C"
Thanks. Yeah I hear you..... Toyo's info actually has a higher load rating on the SL and still has the tire listed under their light truck category. If you use their tool to find a tire for a "sport" JL they list SL tires, but if you pick a Sahara or Rubicon they return C load tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL SL or XL Load Rating Tires ok? 285/70-17 1631628627592

Jeep Wrangler JL SL or XL Load Rating Tires ok? 285/70-17 1631628674800

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The max air pressure for a SL or XL is lower, so the load rating may or may not be higher, but there is no wiggle room, it's at max pressure. So, practically what's this mean, that you're more likely to damage the tire (especially the sidewall) off road.
Sponsored