Skyjacker 3.5-4 inch lift kit

DedonnoN

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler JKU
so I’m fairly new to the JL I had previously owned a JK with my 37 inch BFG Ko2’s and I saved the tires but sold the jeep because I wanted and upgrade I wanted to keep the lift kit cost under $1000 and I found the skyjacker kit with the black max shocks I know everyone hates on skyjacker but I’m looking for advice on this kit from owners who have experienced it I need answers to questions like how is the quality of the kit? What kind of flex were you able to get out of it without breaking anything?(pictures would be appreciated ) and how does this kit look on your jeep?
Sponsored

OP
OP

DedonnoN

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler JKU
And if all else fails and this kit really is awful like a lot of people say any 3 inch lift kit recommendations under $1000 or close to that would be greatly appreciated

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I like the lift and have had no issues with it. I didn't use the lift in out of box form however. I installed rancho geo brackets up front instead of the supplied cambolts, and adjustable arms in the rear. Adjustable arms aren't necessary but I'm running 40s so I adjusted the axle back a bit more.

I'm thinking about adding a high steer kit as well. This is not kit related, as my steering wasn't great stock. At this height many people add high steer. Seems even stock people are adding new tie rods and drag links due to the poor stock steering.

BFG ko2s measure out to about 35 inches tall under the jeep. I think the 3.5 kit is too much lift for them. The kit provided 5 inches up front, and 4.5 inches in the rear of my jeep. These numbers are with steel front bumper, steel rear bumper with tire carrier, 40 inch spare, and steel side armor.

I would advise going with their 2.5 kit and adding either geo brackets up front or lower arms to adjust caster. The provided cam bolts will work fine, I'm just not a fan. You won't need arms in the rear or a high steer kit at this height. I don't remember if the 2.5 inch kit includes a front track bar, if not I would probably add one. Rough Country makes one of the best ones on the market and it is only $130. Odd because most rough country products aren't great.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I like the lift and have had no issues with it. I didn't use the lift in out of box form however. I installed rancho geo brackets up front instead of the supplied cambolts, and adjustable arms in the rear. Adjustable arms aren't necessary but I'm running 40s so I adjusted the axle back a bit more.

I'm thinking about adding a high steer kit as well. This is not kit related, as my steering wasn't great stock. At this height many people add high steer. Seems even stock people are adding new tie rods and drag links due to the poor stock steering.

BFG ko2s measure out to about 35 inches tall under the jeep. I think the 3.5 kit is too much lift for them. The kit provided 5 inches up front, and 4.5 inches in the rear of my jeep. These numbers are with steel front bumper, steel rear bumper with tire carrier, 40 inch spare, and steel side armor.

I would advise going with their 2.5 kit and adding either geo brackets up front or lower arms to adjust caster. The provided cam bolts will work fine, I'm just not a fan. You won't need arms in the rear or a high steer kit at this height. I don't remember if the 2.5 inch kit includes a front track bar, if not I would probably add one. Rough Country makes one of the best ones on the market and it is only $130. Odd because most rough country products aren't great.
I always heard to stay away from RC for that very reason.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I always heard to stay away from RC for that very reason.
They did a great job on their trackbars for the JK and JL. They are on vehicle adjustable and super beefy. The only one that is more heavy duty is the Steer Smarts but it is about $120 more. Both are great choices.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon

Im coming from a JKU... JL rubi owners need to realize they sit 1 inch higher fender clearance.

Id argue my JK sport stock fenders had more clearance than my JL sport does. I dont think a 2.5 inch lift is enought for sports, I really think they need 3-3.5 inches with 35's to look appropriate

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Im coming from a JKU... JL rubi owners need to realize they sit 1 inch higher fender clearance.

Id argue my JK sport stock fenders had more clearance than my JL sport does. I dont think a 2.5 inch lift is enought for sports, I really think they need 3-3.5 inches with 35's to look appropriate
I’d have to disagree, sport vs sport the JL seems to have more clearance
I test fitted my 35’s with no lift on the JL and they would clear, might have issues at full lock due to my offset tho.
My JK and JLU for reference
I also jacked the Jeep up to a nominal 2.5” and looks good in my opinion. I’ve got a RK 2.5 lift on order, sports are supposed to see .7 of an inch higher over the 2.5 but will be running a heavy winch so should put me back to the 2.5

A2B6F40D-ECA4-4DD6-B413-691E395EB33E.jpeg

0B9789EF-3012-4807-A165-D65414734091.jpeg

A428E22C-128D-48FC-9961-70833BB6A09D.jpeg

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
I’d have to disagree, sport vs sport the JL seems to have more clearance
I test fitted my 35’s with no lift on the JL and they would clear, might have issues at full lock due to my offset tho.
My JK and JLU for reference
I also jacked the Jeep up to a nominal 2.5” and looks good in my opinion. I’ve got a RK 2.5 lift on order, sports are supposed to see .7 of an inch higher over the 2.5 but will be running a heavy winch so should put me back to the 2.5

A2B6F40D-ECA4-4DD6-B413-691E395EB33E.jpeg

0B9789EF-3012-4807-A165-D65414734091.jpeg

A428E22C-128D-48FC-9961-70833BB6A09D.jpeg
i like the bigger gap u have with the flat fenders which is probably another 1 inch of gap. My 35s fit on my jk before a lift, but it looked better with a 3.5 inch lift and flat fenders

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I really hate about Skyjacker is they always stuff a page of bible in their products, like WTF. I know this is going to be a minor opinion here since most Jeepers I know are pretty conservative.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
so I’m fairly new to the JL I had previously owned a JK with my 37 inch BFG Ko2’s and I saved the tires but sold the jeep because I wanted and upgrade I wanted to keep the lift kit cost under $1000 and I found the skyjacker kit with the black max shocks I know everyone hates on skyjacker but I’m looking for advice on this kit from owners who have experienced it I need answers to questions like how is the quality of the kit? What kind of flex were you able to get out of it without breaking anything?(pictures would be appreciated ) and how does this kit look on your jeep?
Remember that you get what you pay for. Any lift under $1000 is going to have compromises over the more expensive kits, especially when your talking 3.5-4" in height. You need to ask yourself how much are you willing to sacrifice in ride quality to get that kind of lift, for that kind of money.

That being said, You can probably find a Mopar lift kit (its closer to 3" than 2") for around $1,000 and the only things I would suggest you add are front control arms to correct caster and front and rear track bars if you don't want the wonky axles. I've seen a few here used so far, extending that price savings a little more.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
You need to ask yourself how much are you willing to sacrifice in ride quality to get that kind of lift, for that kind of money.
I see a lot of bashing of brands that are not the very top tier, and or, popular brands. I've owned many jeeps over the years. I always went with the top tier kits from the popular brands. I was never really satisfied with them. There always seemed to be some sort of issue: severe rusting, noisy, issues with the joints, extremely firm springs etc.

A couple years ago I decided to do an experiment and go with a low price kit. According to the forums my jeep would be undriveable and all parts would break. Guess what? The jeep drove nicer, and the parts held up better than those expensive top tier kits.

Skyjacker, Rancho, Zone are well priced kits that have held up for me and had much better ride quality than those top tier kits.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of bashing of brands that are not the very top tier, and or, popular brands. I've owned many jeeps over the years. I always went with the top tier kits from the popular brands. I was never really satisfied with them. There always seemed to be some sort of issue: severe rusting, noisy, issues with the joints, extremely firm springs etc.

A couple years ago I decided to do an experiment and go with a low price kit. According to the forums my jeep would be undriveable and all parts would break. Guess what? The jeep drove nicer, and the parts held up better than those expensive top tier kits.

Skyjacker, Rancho, Zone are well priced kits that have held up for me and had much better ride quality than those top tier kits.
Never said anything negative. I'm just saying in my experience without the proper parts my JL drove like crap. I remedied it by spending $100's more on control arms and track bars.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Never said anything negative. I'm just saying in my experience without the proper parts my JL drove like crap. I remedied it by spending $100's more on control arms and track bars.
I didn't mean you were the one bashing, I was speaking in general while addressing the ride quality comment. I agree if you throw a half assed kit on a jeep it will ride poorly.

aven2rus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door

Working in the industry for 15 years I can shed a little light on this for you. The Skyjacker kits were priced to provide an affordable option close to the price driven brands. To accomplish this they are sold at less margin, making less money looking and making it up in volume. There is also the volume buying power of larger companies that helps in pricing.

Nothing was shortcut, same US made high quality coil springs and the one box kits include everything you need. Yes you can upgrade to lower arms over cam bolts but the base kit will go in and perform without issue. Fact is the Dual Rate coil springs are a higher tinsel strength steel than what some references as "High End" kits.
Sponsored

Last edited: