Skyjacker 2.5 to Metal Cloak

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Thought I would share for others currently in the research stage.

I have a 19' Rubicon Unlimited running 37" Cooper STT Pros. Within a couple weeks of buying the jeep I found a Skyjacker 2.5" in stock at a local shop so I bought it and installed it that weekend just to get the tires under the rig and the jeep out on the trail.

I probably made a dozen or so trips offroad and about 2000 miles on the on hwy as well. I felt like the Skyjacker did well for the money but without the Control Arms and Track Bars the handling was "flighty" compared to stock. Offroad it performed surprisingly well with the basic shock package and it got me into and out of the mountains numerous times.

The Metal Cloak GC 3.5" (Rocksport Shocks) was installed on Tuesday and we gave it a hard run up the mountain Thursday Night. Overall I am very impressed with the suspension. On road the handling is better than stock. Tracks straight and true and the ride is very stable/compliant albeit slightly firmer that the SJ kit. Offroad the suspension is superior no doubt but I feel like the Rocksports start to buck a little at higher speeds. Articulation and lower speed bump compliance is amazing.

All in all The extra $2000 or so for the MC GC was money well spent for my intended uses. I would like to pick up a set of 2.5 shocks once the reviews start to more readily come in.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I had the Skyjacker 3.5/4" kit on my previous jeep. This kit came with a front track bar and rear track bar bracket. I also added geo brackets. It actually corrected the steering issues the jeep had stock. It was a firm ride but handled very well.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

I have a 19' Rubicon Unlimited running 37" Cooper STT Pros. Within a couple weeks of buying the jeep I found a Skyjacker 2.5" in stock at a local shop so I bought it and installed it that weekend just to get the tires under the rig and the jeep out on the trail.

I probably made a dozen or so trips offroad and about 2000 miles on the on hwy as well. I felt like the Skyjacker did well for the money but without the Control Arms and Track Bars the handling was "flighty" compared to stock. Offroad it performed surprisingly well with the basic shock package and it got me into and out of the mountains numerous times.

The Metal Cloak GC 3.5" (Rocksport Shocks) was installed on Tuesday and we gave it a hard run up the mountain Thursday Night. Overall I am very impressed with the suspension. On road the handling is better than stock. Tracks straight and true and the ride is very stable/compliant albeit slightly firmer that the SJ kit. Offroad the suspension is superior no doubt but I feel like the Rocksports start to buck a little at higher speeds. Articulation and lower speed bump compliance is amazing.

All in all The extra $2000 or so for the MC GC was money well spent for my intended uses. I would like to pick up a set of 2.5 shocks once the reviews start to more readily come in.
For 2.5” shocks there is beginning to be some serious player finally. The fox 2.5s are nice, we have the radflo 2.5 resi on my wifes JL tuned for the RK springs and then the kings are out too. The fox and kings are priced very similar at 2600-2800ish and the radflos are less than 2k

Glad you’re liking the MC GC. We install a ton of those and they are my favorite

Brett

badgundog

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018, JK 2008
Vehicle Showcase

Remmy,

You said the MC GC buckles at high speed. Can you give me some more details about what you mean. I had MC on my JK and it was stiff, but very secure feeling at all times. I am about to order the MC GC for my JL. When it buckles is this on trail or on HWY? Do you mean the springs are bowing like the Mopar had a reputation for doing? Are there unique situations that cause buckling, i.e. pulling a camper at high speeds, or in high speed turns, or in turns to the left only or right only? Can you describe what parts you believe are failing to cause the buckle? When it buckles does it feel unsafe?

Thank You.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Remmy,

You said the MC GC buckles at high speed. Can you give me some more details about what you mean. I had MC on my JK and it was stiff, but very secure feeling at all times. I am about to order the MC GC for my JL. When it buckles is this on trail or on HWY? Do you mean the springs are bowing like the Mopar had a reputation for doing? Are there unique situations that cause buckling, i.e. pulling a camper at high speeds, or in high speed turns, or in turns to the left only or right only? Can you describe what parts you believe are failing to cause the buckle? When it buckles does it feel unsafe?

Thank You.
He said bucks, not buckles. Meaning the shocks are stiff at speed.

Sponsored

Dirt Tiger

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon
Remmy what wheels are you running with your 37’s? Did you have to add spacers when you changed to the MC? What kind of height difference did you get out of the 3.5 game changer? Thanks for the info as I am in the research stage as well. Now just trying to nail down the final details like 2.5 or 3.5. And either same stock wheels with 37 or aftermarket and which ones?

OP
OP
Remmy

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Sorry for the late response, been off the forums for a while. In regard to the "bucking" I'm referring to the shocks not "keeping up" when traveling through the whoops offroad at speed. Great on road performance just not going to win any baja races with those shocks.

I'm running the Mopar Beadlock Capable wheels and they fit just fine. I tried running the 37s on the stock wheels (Skyjacker kit) and the stance was just to narrow for my liking. I think you would need spacers with stock wheels to run the MC setup especially with its height. The MC is noticeably taller than the 2.5 Skyjacker suspension. I would guess a true 3.5-4 inches of lift over stock.

Sorry if my response is to late.
Sponsored