Wbino

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I've seen Jeeps w/the rear window in the up position driving locally..
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Don't forget there is the after market power top option. It looks like a set of actuators that you attach to the existing soft top.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Don't forget there is the after market power top option. It looks like a set of actuators that you attach to the existing soft top.
Yea, I've seen one of those in person and was not impressed. The auto opening and closing is cool enough, but the fit was terrible. Approaching the Jeep, I said to myself "what is wrong with his soft top?" I looked like someone had put a normal soft top back on, but didn't fasten any of the plastic flaps. Like the rear side windows were just kind of hanging there and drooping. Maybe it was an early version or something, but it did not look good at all.

Last edited:

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Hi Everyone - GOOD NEWS for all you out there that have been looking for a Roof Rack for your Sky Touch roofs. THULE is very close to rolling out an entirely new roof rack system for new JL Wranglers with "Sky Touch" retractable roof systems.

Back in Oct. of 2019 when I first purchased my 2020 4D Rubicon, I quickly noticed the "product gap" in THULE, YAKIMA, and other roof rack systems that were not yet designed for the Sky Touch tops. Desperate for a functional roof rack system to care bikes, plywood, 2X4s, etc., at the time I installed my old standard 8" high 300R THULE gutter mount footers the classic Thule "square" bars. I used them for years on an old Ford F-150 XLT and they worked fine but had truly deafening wind noise at 62+ mph. Interstate driving was not so much fun....

In late 2019, I posted a long e-mail on the THULE website basically pleading with them to design a roof rack system for the new Wrangler JLs with Sky Touch roofs. All they needed to do was design a new set of 8" high 300R gutter mount footers that could adapt to or fit with the new generation Aeroblade and Wingbar EVO load bars. THULE's customer service is stellar. Not more than 1 month after posting the initial e-mail on their website, one of their technical support reps called me in Jan. of 2020 and said they had a plan to develop a new system for JL Sky Touch roofs. Their initial product roll out was supposed to occur in April of 2020. Then COVID hit in mid-March and it was delayed until October. After the supply chain issues started happening last fall, they went silent. Crickets.

Well, miraculously another one of their service reps (a really nice guy) reached out to me last week and offered me the chance to "product test" their newly developed 8" and 11" high standard 300R Rapid Gutter Mount Foot pack + Wingbar EVO load bars. He sent an entire system to me yesterday, all for no cost to keep, and I have mounted them on the 2020 RUBI. The 8" footers easily clear the Sky Touch roof when it retracts. The 11" high mounts are not necessary and actually look very odd.

After installing the new 8" high footers + Wingbar EVO load bars earlier today, I could barely hear the noise while driving the Jeep on the Interstate at 72-76 mph (note: I have stock 33" Bridgestone KO2s, not the larger 35" or 37" tires so my RUBI is reasonably quiet anyway). It was an utterly astonishing improvement, easily a 90%+ reduction in wind noise over the THULE square bars due to the smooth aerodynamics of the Wingbar Evo bars. Once I tightened the knob tension to 5-6 newton meters (Nm), the bars are rock solid. They make no noises or creaking of any kind when I pull in and out of the driveway, hit bumps or curbs, or turn the truck.

THULE is very close to a formal roll out of the new 8" and 11" 300R mounts. The current estimate is July of 2021. So tickle your calendars to check their website in July. The new 8" and 11" 300R gutter mounts will fit either the THULE Aeroblade load bars or the THULE Wingbar EVO load bars. I have tried both and they do work with either, which is another nice feature of the new design.

I will post pictures on this thread tomorrow. At any rate, I hope this new industry color helps and many of you can enjoy the new THULE system when it comes out. In the meantime, get back outdoors and enjoy your Jeep!
Has Thule rolled out the Sky One Touch Roof Rack system yet? I looked and didnt find anything.

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I like my SOT. I debated between the tan premium soft top for my snazzberry JLU Willys and the SOT. I liked the looks on both. I finally drove a Sahara with the SOT before I ordered and was sold. I realized that I didn't put the top all the way down on my '18 Sport S as much as I really wanted too due to the time and hassle (granted it's super easy to put the top down/ up.) I work as a Location Manager in TV & film and spend a lot of time driving around (scouting) and an equal amount of time on the phone while driving (love bluetooth and Apple CarPlay.) That meant I couldn't have the top down as much. I also realized that in reality, when driving with the soft top down, you only really notice it directly above you. The SOT solves the phone use problems: quick touch of the button while driving under the limit and things get quite a minute later. With the side rear windows out, the SOT top back and the door windows down it feels just like the soft top. (Haven't had doors off yet... soon...)
As far as wind noise, etc. I came from a soft top on each of the three Wranglers I had before this one... ANYTHING is quieter than the soft top when closed up.
Get what you want and enjoy it.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Has Thule rolled out the Sky One Touch Roof Rack system yet? I looked and didnt find anything.
Are you looking for something that would allow the SOT to open / close with the roof rack installed?

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Love my Sky Touch roof!

My previous 2018 JLU Sahara had the soft top. The SOT is a lot quieter and much more comfortable/convenient.

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
How much more clearance do you need? I have the Low Foot Pack for my JKU. Would the low work on a JLU with SOT, as long as you don't plan to open the top with the rack installed?

Looking at Thule's site, they now have the Low = 5" of clearance. High = 8" and Super High = 11"

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
How much more clearance do you need? I have the Low Foot Pack for my JKU. Would the low work on a JLU with SOT, as long as you don't plan to open the top with the rack installed?

Looking at Thule's site, they now have the Low = 5" of clearance. High = 8" and Super High = 11"
I havevread 8" ok but 11" better. Forbthe SOT.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
For me the convenience factor is what ended up convincing me to order the Sky top this time around. Noise isn't an issue as I bought the 392, so yeah lol. It does look a little odd with no doors and panels off... but I think it'll look "OK" with my half doors. We'll see.