First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I’ll have no winch, so the only cranking I’ll do is on the volume to cancel any road noise.....🗽☕😎
Would any headliner give the Sky touch motor more work and possible warranty issues?
Sponsored

RubiconIsland

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0
I’ll have no winch, so the only cranking I’ll do is on the volume to cancel any road noise.....🗽☕😎
Would any headliner give the Sky touch motor more work and possible warranty issues?
Don't think so, there's no difference in opening/closing speed between when standing or at 50mph. So the motor must be pretty strong

Gotcoffee

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited JL Willys
I love the convenience of it. My 2 other cars are manual roofs and you just don't put it down as much during shoulder seasons.

I didn't know you could get a headline for the SOT until you post. Did you find it made a big difference?
Anyone else with the headliner added?
It made a pretty big difference in road and wind noise for me. Plus it looks really good. Will see what it does heat wise during the summer. I am very happy with the Headliner.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with this option have any tips, notes, comments?
Congrats !! I have the Sky Power Top on my 2019 Sahara. I have not had any leak issues but I never run Jeep through auto washers. I always hand wash mine. The top is Bestops Premium Twill Fabric.
material. I asked Jeep when I first got it to find out at that time.

The Best Protectant is this one here. It's made for that special Twill Fabric.

Makes Bird Poop just wipe right off. No sticking.

Love the ease of opening and closing the top. Found out quick in Texas parked in 100 degrees heat it's hot inside. But in winter it's warmer by far.

Little more road noise but not bad.

Get you these Vicious Off-road doors and it really opens up more. I have ordered these for my Rubicon.

I went with the Hardtop for my new Rubicon. It will open up more with Hardtop off than the Sky Top.

20210324_172804.jpg

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

20210319_105627.jpg

Sponsored

fsusp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher, Golf Coach
I had a '19 with the 3 piece top and took off the panels maybe 4x total. Now i have a '21 with sky roof and i open it every single day. Love it, it's one of the coolest features on my jeep.
Truth! So easy. I posted in the Willy Thread but it is so damn easy to open the Jeep all the way up. I’m also lazy. 🤷‍♂️
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky Touch roof...... E28B31BB-EA45-446B-B5B7-5471762E4ED7

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Sky one touch for over a year. Here’s the thing. Most people aren’t going to remove their hard top and deal with storing it. The soft top sucks with the plastic windows, the rear is a pain with the plastic window in place, and you have to pull over if it rains. Oh and zero security.
sky one touch lacks really all those downsides. Easy open and close. Pretty secure. Close/open while driving.

the only downsides are cost and reliability (I’ve had no issues).

Sponsored

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
2yrs, 14k miles, no issues. Sky one-touch and LED headlights were the only two must have features when I was shopping. No regrets. I had dual tops on my JkUR and the soft top got used once, hard top off twice maybe. I get way more sunshine with 1 touch.

OP
OP
Wbino

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Congrats !! I have the Sky Power Top on my 2019 Sahara. I have not had any leak issues but I never run Jeep through auto washers. I always hand wash mine. The top is Bestops Premium Twill Fabric.
material. I asked Jeep when I first got it to find out at that time.

The Best Protectant is this one here. It's made for that special Twill Fabric.

Makes Bird Poop just wipe right off. No sticking.

Love the ease of opening and closing the top. Found out quick in Texas parked in 100 degrees heat it's hot inside. But in winter it's warmer by far.

Little more road noise but not bad.

Get you these Vicious Off-road doors and it really opens up more. I have ordered these for my Rubicon.

I went with the Hardtop for my new Rubicon. It will open up more with Hardtop off than the Sky Top.

I picked this up. Thanks.
Love birds....hate being a target in my own driveway.....🤕🗽

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
All excellent points, and add to that if you were to get the Sunrider top it has an MSRP of $750.
On a Sport, it also comes in the Sun & Sound package. The price difference when you compare it to a black hardtop with unpackaged sound is only $600.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Hi Everyone - GOOD NEWS for all you out there that have been looking for a Roof Rack for your Sky Touch roofs. THULE is very close to rolling out an entirely new roof rack system for new JL Wranglers with "Sky Touch" retractable roof systems.

Back in Oct. of 2019 when I first purchased my 2020 4D Rubicon, I quickly noticed the "product gap" in THULE, YAKIMA, and other roof rack systems that were not yet designed for the Sky Touch tops. Desperate for a functional roof rack system to care bikes, plywood, 2X4s, etc., at the time I installed my old standard 8" high 300R THULE gutter mount footers the classic Thule "square" bars. I used them for years on an old Ford F-150 XLT and they worked fine but had truly deafening wind noise at 62+ mph. Interstate driving was not so much fun....

In late 2019, I posted a long e-mail on the THULE website basically pleading with them to design a roof rack system for the new Wrangler JLs with Sky Touch roofs. All they needed to do was design a new set of 8" high 300R gutter mount footers that could adapt to or fit with the new generation Aeroblade and Wingbar EVO load bars. THULE's customer service is stellar. Not more than 1 month after posting the initial e-mail on their website, one of their technical support reps called me in Jan. of 2020 and said they had a plan to develop a new system for JL Sky Touch roofs. Their initial product roll out was supposed to occur in April of 2020. Then COVID hit in mid-March and it was delayed until October. After the supply chain issues started happening last fall, they went silent. Crickets.

Well, miraculously another one of their service reps (a really nice guy) reached out to me last week and offered me the chance to "product test" their newly developed 8" and 11" high standard 300R Rapid Gutter Mount Foot pack + Wingbar EVO load bars. He sent an entire system to me yesterday, all for no cost to keep, and I have mounted them on the 2020 RUBI. The 8" footers easily clear the Sky Touch roof when it retracts. The 11" high mounts are not necessary and actually look very odd.

After installing the new 8" high footers + Wingbar EVO load bars earlier today, I could barely hear the noise while driving the Jeep on the Interstate at 72-76 mph (note: I have stock 33" Bridgestone KO2s, not the larger 35" or 37" tires so my RUBI is reasonably quiet anyway). It was an utterly astonishing improvement, easily a 90%+ reduction in wind noise over the THULE square bars due to the smooth aerodynamics of the Wingbar Evo bars. Once I tightened the knob tension to 5-6 newton meters (Nm), the bars are rock solid. They make no noises or creaking of any kind when I pull in and out of the driveway, hit bumps or curbs, or turn the truck.

THULE is very close to a formal roll out of the new 8" and 11" 300R mounts. The current estimate is July of 2021. So tickle your calendars to check their website in July. The new 8" and 11" 300R gutter mounts will fit either the THULE Aeroblade load bars or the THULE Wingbar EVO load bars. I have tried both and they do work with either, which is another nice feature of the new design.

I will post pictures on this thread tomorrow. At any rate, I hope this new industry color helps and many of you can enjoy the new THULE system when it comes out. In the meantime, get back outdoors and enjoy your Jeep!
Sponsored