Sponsored

Sky Power Top removal question

• Thread starter Deleted member 23917
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Deleted member 23917

I have a 2019 JLUR with the sky power top. I have decided I still want to remove the entire top in the summer.
Except this will be harder than a normal top. There are long bolts that hold the top to the rollcage.
I am searching for instructions on how to safely remove and then reinstall. My biggest concern is how tight to torque these bolts when I reinstall after summer. Too loose and the top will rattle, too tight and I could strip/ break the bolts. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on where to get instructions. It won't be the dealer, at least not where I live. They don't have a clue.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have a 2019 JLUR with the sky power top. I have decided I still want to remove the entire top in the summer.
Except this will be harder than a normal top. There are long bolts that hold the top to the rollcage.
I am searching for instructions on how to safely remove and then reinstall. My biggest concern is how tight to torque these bolts when I reinstall after summer. Too loose and the top will rattle, too tight and I could strip/ break the bolts. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on where to get instructions. It won't be the dealer, at least not where I live. They don't have a clue.
It wasn't meant to come off.

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
I would check out this thread and maybe reach out tot the op, they successfully installed it on a non power top model... should have all the info you need!

DaVikes

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Red JLUR
Bolt have a maximum torque value based on their size and grade. You can figure that out here. But I wouldn't go to the max right away. I would start out with snug and see if it rattles. There are two things I wonder about. 1) Are you compressing a gasket when tightening the top down? If so, the gasket is providing the tension that keeps the top from rattling, not the bolt stretching at it's torque rating. So that would mean start with snug. 2)Do the bolts penetrate the hollow roll bar? If so are there sleeves in those holes that prevent the roll bar from crushing? If there are no sleeves, again, definitely start at snug first.

i don't think the wiring will be hard. I think it all goes through the harness in the left rear corner of the top. A fun fact is that JLU's without the sky power top still have the fuses (2 20amp) for it, and it looks like the wiring for it. There are 20 some wires in the hardtop harness in a JLU, so I think some must be for the sky power top. I've been wondering how easy it would be to use them for something else. But I think the must be tied into the accy power setting.

When I was a kid, I would take apart all sorts of things that weren't supposed to be taken apart. I took apart my dad's watch once. That wasn't such a good idea, but I was pretty successful with everything else. Good luck with your project, I'm sure you can pull it off.

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a video where a guy regularly removes his just like the standard hard top but I cannot find it again. I have the SOT and worry about it leaking and squeaking if I remove it and reinstall it.

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
OP
OP

Deleted member 23917

I continue to be amazed at how helpful everybody here is; with all this excellent advice, I am sure I will sort this out.
I actually didn't explain everything in my first post. Now think I should as it may help others.

My Jeep was in a small accident where the rear quarter was scuffed. Not major at all but needed to be painted.
I lived with it for a while no problems, and then finally took it in. To get a clean paint line, the body shop (Jeep shop) unbolted and lifted the Sky Power top. When I picked it up, it had a new loud rattle whenever I went over any bump. Sounded like the top was shifting on top of the rollcage (This top bolts to the rollcage) So I took it back. They listened and agreed "That's not right" So they just tightened up all the bolts. Problem was completely solved and I was happy. For about a week..... Then the same noise came back even worse than before.

I am not going back to them again. My plan as in my original post is to completely remove the top this spring. Then I will reinstall it with new rubber cushions. And correct torque, Loctite, etc.

All of your advice is excellent, especially word302 who said the top is not supposed to come off. So true!

Thank you everyone, Eric

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I continue to be amazed at how helpful everybody here is; with all this excellent advice, I am sure I will sort this out.
I actually didn't explain everything in my first post. Now think I should as it may help others.

My Jeep was in a small accident where the rear quarter was scuffed. Not major at all but needed to be painted.
I lived with it for a while no problems, and then finally took it in. To get a clean paint line, the body shop (Jeep shop) unbolted and lifted the Sky Power top. When I picked it up, it had a new loud rattle whenever I went over any bump. Sounded like the top was shifting on top of the rollcage (This top bolts to the rollcage) So I took it back. They listened and agreed "That's not right" So they just tightened up all the bolts. Problem was completely solved and I was happy. For about a week..... Then the same noise came back even worse than before.

I am not going back to them again. My plan as in my original post is to completely remove the top this spring. Then I will reinstall it with new rubber cushions. And correct torque, Loctite, etc.

All of your advice is excellent, especially word302 who said the top is not supposed to come off. So true!

Thank you everyone, Eric
I would strongly advise you not remove the top.

Friend of mine has the sky one and removed it last spring - it has not functioned correctly since he reinstalled it(noises etc).

You stated that the top now rattles after the dealership removed/installed it. I strongly advise you have the dealer work on it again. They will warranty there work.

That top was engineered to be a permanent install. Reinstalling it is extremely difficult.

Good luck
Sponsored