Sponsored

Sky One Touch vs. Sunroof

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Long time car guy (had Jeeps too), but am likely consolidating to a single vehicle on this next round.
Obviously, taking a test drive is a little more difficult right now. I've pretty much set on what to do.
Advantages of a Jeep aside (off-roading, mods, etc).
IS THE SKY ONE TOUCH TOP REALLY ANY DIFFERENT THAN A STANDARD SUNROOF (for the driver).
Yes, great for the back seat, but is there a real feeling of being more open and air to the driver vs a sunroof? I likely would not be removing the doors often, if at all.
Sponsored

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I purchased a JLUR with Sky One Touch only because it was one of the last 2019 JLURs on the lot and a great deal. I didn’t think I’d really use it much, but I really like the convenience at a push of a bottom and rolling down all the windows. Just my .02 cents.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Never had a sunroof that was essentially full body width.

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
You will likely get two opinions in response to your question.

1. I didn't get the sky touch, so it must be complete crap, not worth the cost, be way to expensive once after warranty, and make you look fat.

2. I have the sky touch, absolutely love it, use it all the time, worth every penny paid.

Perhaps a poll would be a better way of running the thread. For the record, I fall in the second opinion.

I've had sunroofs on many vehicles - I don't equate it to a sunroof at all - immensely better and with much more exposure/airflow.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have both a jeep with the SOT and a Jeep with the hard top. The SOT is just like having no roof at all when it is back, you really can't tell the difference from the front seats. The freedom panels on the hardtop don't have the same amount of openness and they take several minutes to take off and on. The Bestop Sunrider, which you can add to the hardtop, costs about $800. That's ridiculous.

But this is really subjective, you should drive and experiment with all the tops.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Yes, I'm in the second camp as well. And what I find amazing is that with the top back and windows down, it gives you all the turbulence of having no top, but when you have the top back with the windows up there is almost no turbulence at all, and you can drive top back in cooler weather than you normally would because the cabin temperature in the front seats is hardly affected.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's Jeep has the Sky One Touch and she uses it any and every chance she gets. I've driven it and ridden in it a lot and I have to say that it is most definitely a different experience than your standard sunroof. It truly does feel like there's no roof at all when it's opened, my sunroof was definitely nice and I enjoyed the fresh air but it really doesn't compare. I traded in my Charger which had a sunroof so I do have a basis for comparison.

Now all that being said, I got a soft top for my Jeep. The Sky One Touch is great, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the traditional soft top experience.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
We drove a bunch of SUVs with so called panoramic sunroof and nothing came even close to the sky one touch

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The Sky One gives less open air than a folded down soft top and more air than a sunroof. I have gladly given up a little extra air flow for the convenience of not having to leave the drivers seat to open or close my roof.

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Pros:
- Exceptionally easy
- I have the top open way more often

Neutral:
- Noisier than a hard top, quieter than a soft top - definitely get soft top noise through the roof

Cons:
- Rear side windows have to be lubricated basically monthly or the rubber seals squeak constantly
- I've had rattles like loose parts where the two front latches engage for the 18 months I've owned it, dealer hasn't fixed after multiple visits
- Definitely not as open as a fully removable top - great for everyday use, but a bit disappointing driving on the beach

I'm looking at going dual-top group on my next Wrangler.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I do not get the SOT and here is why...

My JLUR is not my daily driver so I have the luxury of taking it out when the weather is good or on trail days, etc. The SOT does nothing for me in these situations. I can open up the soft top in the sunrider position or take it all off. It is easy and takes no time at all. Even if the JL was my daily driver I would not get the SOT. I want the real openness of no top - the SOT falls short. The convenience is not really there for me and shows no benefit in my situation.

Have the dual top on our JK and went soft only on the JL.

There is not much comparison of the SOT to a sunroof in a daily driver. It is better than a sunroof.

Last edited:

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
SOT when compared to a soft-top will get you the rear windshield wiper/defroster and allow for simpler access to cargo space.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I love my SOT. My other car is a convertible too. Have had no problem with the back windows squeaking. I traded in a 08 FJ Cruiser in which I had added duel sunroofs. The SOT feels like a convertible in comparison.
Sponsored