Sponsored

Sky One Touch Top versus Hard/Soft Top Option?

Big Poppa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was curious if there is anyone with remorse, the "should have's" about opting for the "Sky One-Touch" Roof Option versus the Freedom Top or Soft Top? I guess just the ability to take the whole top off versus not being able to? I have had many previous jeeps with Hard and Soft Top options and looking to get my daughter a jeep with the Sky One-Touch Top and I'm not trying to flip her out of this jeep for one with a different roof option down the road if she has any remorse. I haven't been able to spend much time in one with this new roof option to see if the same feeling or something fairly close to that feeling of no top is there with this Sky One-Touch Roof. I'm also trying to think about her being young and not having to deal with different tops, storing them, on and off for weather, etc. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter!!
Sponsored

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I own a new jeep with the sky-top but I will tell you that this is the first Jeep that I've owned, so you'll probably want to get a few more opinions other than myself.

First, I love mine. Though there are more fans than one could count that love the original Jeep designs, I wanted something that would give me the same open-air freedom without having to either go through the hassle of folding back the soft top, or physically lifting off the 2 piece hard-top, or finally needing another hand or two in order to help lift off the entire hard-top. What I wanted was the convenience of pressing the button and getting what I wanted. The SkyTop gave me this - the freedom, independence and the convenience. The SkyTop opens all the way past the rear seat so it really does open things up nicely. And if I took all 4 doors off, the rear windows also come out easily giving me just about as much open feeling as most.

Operationally and functionally, I've run the jeep through car washes many times now and I don't have so much as a little bit of a leak. The wind noise is about the same as you'd expect. I do get a little flapping of the twill against the top ridges when I'm cruising at higher speeds or coming up behind a tractor-trailer rig. The top will not function at higher speeds but I wouldn't want to mess with a convertible at high speeds anyway. The pioneer sound system sounds great. So, I'm absolutely content with mine.

If your daughter wants to go with a traditional look, then that's certainly a thing. But if she wants the conveniences that I mentioned above, then I don't think you'd have regrets.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
I was curious if there is anyone with remorse, the "should have's" about opting for the "Sky One-Touch" Roof Option versus the Freedom Top or Soft Top? I guess just the ability to take the whole top off versus not being able to? I have had many previous jeeps with Hard and Soft Top options and looking to get my daughter a jeep with the Sky One-Touch Top and I'm not trying to flip her out of this jeep for one with a different roof option down the road if she has any remorse. I haven't been able to spend much time in one with this new roof option to see if the same feeling or something fairly close to that feeling of no top is there with this Sky One-Touch Roof. I'm also trying to think about her being young and not having to deal with different tops, storing them, on and off for weather, etc. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter!!
Love mine!!!!! Ease of use is the best and dont need to store or fuss with anything.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
Have owned two Wrangler dual tops before my 2018 JLUR with Sky roof. Simplicity of “one touch” hard to beat

OPEN halfway on those warm New England winter days or all the way on wooded or beach trail runs with people in the back, including rear window removals.

CLOSE when that thunderstorm finally catches up to you or the beach sun is just too damn hot (as long as you’re not driving over 60mph)

Only negative for me are tight wooded trails off camber when the top rail sticks beyond tires and rock rails and reaches out to passing trees.

Warning, a rivet on mine broke after just a few months [fixed myself] and it’s more a soft top than hard so expect water issues someday in the near or distant future. I accept this reality.

Love mine. No regrets

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
We absolutely love ours. 20 years ago I was the kind of guy who drove through snow without a top or doors. Now I prefer a little more convenience, and the ability to put the top back or closed with the push of a button is a dream. And you get a back glass window, so keeping it clean is just as easy as the others, and you can get to the cargo area easily. There's a lot to love.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
We absolutely love ours. 20 years ago I was the kind of guy who drove through snow without a top or doors. Now I prefer a little more convenience, and the ability to put the top back or closed with the push of a button is a dream. And you get a back glass window, so keeping it clean is just as easy as the others, and you can get to the cargo area easily. There's a lot to love.
Yes. Ditto the convenience of reaching in and grabbing tools out of back from the sides.

BTW, Also no problem riding on trails with rear window folded up.

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well - I never wanted mine. Love the truly naked look of no top.
Ended up buying SOT due to everything else being exactly what I wanted.

now 20 months later, it’s awesome wouldn’t go back to any other config.

I’ve owned CJs->JKs all with dual tops.

No regrets with SOT!

TGjlu20

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Get the one touch power top. We just got a JLU with one and have had the top off more in a week than we ever did on my old JKU. No leaks in the Florida downpours so far (only had it for about a week). It's not that I didn't like my old soft top or hard top but this is so convenient it is really way better than I expected it to be. I would think it would be easier to sell and get a regular top if you didn't like it rather than trying to get it after the fact.

The Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Love mine. Super convenient.

Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I love mine as well! It gives me the convertible fun I am looking for! No problems or leaks!

Jaune

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well - I never wanted mine. Love the truly naked look of no top.
Ended up buying SOT due to everything else being exactly what I wanted.

now 20 months later, it’s awesome wouldn’t go back to any other config.

I’ve owned CJs->JKs all with dual tops.

No regrets with SOT!
Same here. I was really minded for 2 top but manage to get a loaded with sot top for almost same price as a non available less equiped jeep. So far I really enjoy it!!! The look a bit less...

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Now that I've run quite a bit of time under both hard and soft tops, the Sky One Touch is an increasingly appealing best-of-both-worlds option. The soft top, while pretty easy to fold down, is enough of an annoyance to go fully down that I seldom do it, especially because of storing the windows. The hard top is very nice but storing it in my garage required me to drop a couple hundred on a hoist and a weekend afternoon installing the hoist. If I were doing my Wrangler purchase all over again, I'd have to seriously consider it.

Foulness

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
At first, I did not want the One Touch. Now, after 8 months and my wife driving the Jeep more than I do, I wouldn't want anything else. We live in Arkansas and it goes from clear and sunny to pouring rain without notice. No scrambling to put a top on. Just hit the button. We do not remove the rear quarter windows, but have removed the doors. It looks fine without the doors , but we do not like the look of the windows being removed.

The biggest negative I have encountered is we want a roof top tent and the options are limited with the one touch top because of clearance. We also bought the extended warranty just because of the top so that added extra cost.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Top versus Hard/Soft Top Option? Jeep without doors

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As much as One-Touch seems like a brilliant idea, this being Jeep, with a long history for water leaks, and FCA, with a history for inconsistent quality, I believe getting this top is asking for trouble once the novelty factor wears off.

I find the One-Touch option too pricey, too. Personally, I rather get other features for $3,000 - $4,000.
Sponsored