Sponsored

Sky One Touch Top versus Hard/Soft Top Option?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
As much as One-Touch seems like a brilliant idea, this being Jeep, with a long history for water leaks, and FCA, with a history for inconsistent quality, I believe getting this top is asking for trouble once the novelty factor wears off.

I find the One-Touch option too pricey, too. Personally, I rather get other features for $3,000 - $4,000.
If someday years from now the whole thing becomes a nightmare after warranty I'll just replace it with a standard hard top.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If someday years from now the whole thing becomes a nightmare after warranty I'll just replace it with a standard hard top.
I couldnā€™t be bothered with having to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, even if it is under warranty.

One of my personal goals in life is to minimize my interactions with my Jeep dealer.

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLURD, ā€˜02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
I find the One-Touch option too pricey, too. Personally, I rather get other features for $3,000 - $4,000.
If you consider that the SOT gets you the look of a color match hard top, itā€™s really only a $2000 premium. If youā€™re considering soft top as the alternative, then yes, itā€™s an additional $4000.

I already have a bikini top only TJ, so when I was looking at JL as a daily (for my wife) and long trip vehicle, my decision was between color match hard top and SOT, which meant it was really a $2000 decision.

2 weeks in, I am extremely happy I went with SOT. I just posted a trip write up about picking up my Jeep and I had that top open and closed so many times I lost count. Beautiful nights in Boise and Sun Valley... top open. Wheeling in Moab when it was 105Ā° out... top closed. Scenic country road from Moab to Telluride... top open. Rain storm just before reaching Telluride... top closed.

My goal was to be able to cover long distances in as much comfort as a Wrangler will allow (which is expectedly a pretty monumental jump over my 2 TJā€™s Iā€™ve owned), then be able to open up the top to enjoy nature, beautiful weather, views, etc once I get there. So far, itā€™s been fantastic.

Obviously, the one question that canā€™t be answered yet is reliability and longevity. Short term reliability seems to be pretty good, although a couple of members have reported ongoing issues, including a buyback. But the majority have had zero issues. Long term, we shall see. I donā€™t normally buy extended warranties, but this top and the diesel have me seriously considering it because of their novelty.

datamm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 2500
Having had a Jeep with a hard top and having one with a soft top in the past I know my wife will never get another Jeep with out the one touch she has currently. We have had no issue with the 1-touch top in her one year of ownership. Much easier for her to enjoy the Jeep in more conditions.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Love mine so much! I had a JK with a hard top that I had for about 1 week before I swapped it out for a racer-back top that I only really ever used the bikini for and usually never had doors. Problem was, live in Arizona and its crazy hot here.

The JL solution with the SOT is the best of both worlds for me as I can keep it open and windows down when its below 100 or so and then it can go right up when its blazing hot. Just swap in winter so its down during the hot part of the day and then up when its still chilly out.

Also, add in that I have 2 littles with car seats that can't have the wind blowing in their face at 75 mph on the highway, the ability to button it up when I'm driving them to daycare and school then open the top and windows down the second they're out, its perfect.

No leaks, no regrets!

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Another vote for the SOT. I have it on my 2020, did not seek it out but glad that I got it. My wife has a 2018 w/ the hard top which has only been removed once since March when we bought it. We did install a Bestop Sunrider to replace the freedom tops, which is nice, but still does not compare to the ease of having SOT.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
It's been 8 months. How does everyone feel about their SOT? I'm thinking of getting one with a new 2021 JL.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
It's been 8 months. How does everyone feel about their SOT? I'm thinking of getting one with a new 2021 JL.
I got my daughter a 2020 JLUS with the one touch last Summer. She loves, loves, loves it. I drive it whenever she is out of town. I had the sunrider soft top on my 2018 JLUS. That was a nice way to get topless with minimal work and have cover if it rained. It was also really light for crawling. But it was REALLY loud and I was always worried that someone was going to steal everything inside by just slicing through the side. I could not leave package in it. So, I ultimately went to a hard top. I think the one-touch gives you the best of both worlds. For racks and tents ... you need struts/support anyway if you are trying to roof mount. Consider a GOBI rack. That will allow you to keep the one-touch and have space for an RTT when you want. Rack does not diminish the open feel because it's just bars. IMO - the one-touch is a worthwhile upgrade. While you are at it - get the better Alpine stereo with the sub - the stock stereo BLOWS with the top off. After hearing the Alpine in my daughter's 2020, I had to get the Alpine upgrade kit. But, it just does not sounds as good as the Rubi stereo. Oh, one more thing, with the one-touch top back, my daugter's hair is not flying all over the place. Very still in the cockpit with the windows up, even at highway speed. Other observations/thoughts - we park her Jeep in the driveway under a live oak. Lots of stuff comes off the tree. However, there's been no collection on the one-touch or gunk in the tracks. I've been impressed. Not sure what the top is impregnated with, but nothing seems to stick. Good stuff. Highly recommended.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
For me July will be 2 years. I still love it, have zero problems and would order it again. As others have said, no storage issues and no labor to open up or close. I put BestTop twill protectant on every 6 months and the rain beads just like my waxed paint.
Iā€™ve experienced all 3 as I had duel tops on my JK. Sky One by far in my opinion.

Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Yes. Ditto the convenience of reaching in and grabbing tools out of back from the sides.

BTW, Also no problem riding on trails with rear window folded up.
Is there a way to lock the rear window in the up position?
Not for trails but normal driving as it wouldn't snapback......

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
For those who have had it for at least a year or so, do you take it through a brushless car wash with any leaking issues? I already know the manufacturer doesnā€™t recommend it.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I got my daughter a 2020 JLUS with the one touch last Summer. She loves, loves, loves it. I drive it whenever she is out of town. I had the sunrider soft top on my 2018 JLUS. That was a nice way to get topless with minimal work and have cover if it rained. It was also really light for crawling. But it was REALLY loud and I was always worried that someone was going to steal everything inside by just slicing through the side. I could not leave package in it. So, I ultimately went to a hard top. I think the one-touch gives you the best of both worlds. For racks and tents ... you need struts/support anyway if you are trying to roof mount. Consider a GOBI rack. That will allow you to keep the one-touch and have space for an RTT when you want. Rack does not diminish the open feel because it's just bars. IMO - the one-touch is a worthwhile upgrade. While you are at it - get the better Alpine stereo with the sub - the stock stereo BLOWS with the top off. After hearing the Alpine in my daughter's 2020, I had to get the Alpine upgrade kit. But, it just does not sounds as good as the Rubi stereo. Oh, one more thing, with the one-touch top back, my daugter's hair is not flying all over the place. Very still in the cockpit with the windows up, even at highway speed. Other observations/thoughts - we park her Jeep in the driveway under a live oak. Lots of stuff comes off the tree. However, there's been no collection on the one-touch or gunk in the tracks. I've been impressed. Not sure what the top is impregnated with, but nothing seems to stick. Good stuff. Highly recommended.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've had 3 Wranglers and 2 Gladiators, all with the hard top. I do have the sunrider for hard top which was on my Gladiator and kept it before I traded it in so if I did opt for a hard top then I would use it. But I really like SOT and considering that it includes the 8.4" Premium stereo with navigation along with it, it's a great deal. I'm probably going to get a Sport S.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Sky touch is expensive and you canā€™t really take the top off , if you do take the panels off it looks like a it escaped the body shop which out being put back together

prium Sof top is quality, gives you a black interior with extra headroom and is easily up and down in under 5 minutes and can be done on theroad if needed

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I bought my JLUR used back in Jan. SOT was one of the I really want options, but was probably out of my price range. A Rubicon turned up exactly as I wanted it for a price I could swing. So glad it did.

I love the SOT. I had it open when it was 35* out, heater blasting, heated wheel and seats on max. I use it every evening when it isn't raining on the way home from work. It is quiet when open, surprisingly so. No buffeting. Open it up to the sound bar and the interior is still. Open it all the way up and you do get some back draft. No leaks from the top.

Now for the negatives. One of my side panels is noisy. For now I just put a piece of polyethylene between the latch and striker. My rear window has started leaking. The top is noisy on the highway. Most of my driving is back roads, so if most of my driving was the highway, I would probably not like the SOT nearly as much.
Sponsored