Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options

heyjoe481

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Wrangler Willys Edition
Yes! In July of 2021, THULE is coming out with an updated 300R 8" and 11" high Rain Gutter Mount that works with the whisper quiet THULE Aerobar and THULE EvoWing load bars (not the old, traditional "square" bars). I just installed a beta product test sample directly from THULE that I received last week on my 2020 Jeep RUBICON with the Sky Touch retractable top. They new mounts are absolutely awesome. They do not creak like my old square bars, and the Aerobars hold up to 200 lbs of properly distributed weight. Most importantly, they are nearly silent at interstate speeds of up to 75 mph. Just a stellar new product. So stay on the look out for them later in 2021. I can't recommend them enough. Help is on the way!
Do you happen to know if the date of July 2021 still good?
Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought the DV8 4-door roof rack , <https://dv8offroad.com/collections/...roducts/2018-jeep-jl-4-door-roof-rack-rrjl-01>.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1618933571730

I haven't installed it yet. And, while I know I won't be able to open the One-Touch roof with it installed, it was the only full length rack I could find that (1) doesn't touch the roof, (2) doesn't have the excessive frame that installs on the bumper/cowls, and (3) wasn't $1,000+.

I'm hoping to install it this weekend and will post pics afterwards.

WetDreemz20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - white
I just bought the DV8 4-door roof rack , <https://dv8offroad.com/collections/...roducts/2018-jeep-jl-4-door-roof-rack-rrjl-01>.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1618933571730

I haven't installed it yet. And, while I know I won't be able to open the One-Touch roof with it installed, it was the only full length rack I could find that (1) doesn't touch the roof, (2) doesn't have the excessive frame that installs on the bumper/cowls, and (3) wasn't $1,000+.

I'm hoping to install it this weekend and will post pics afterwards.

How did that roof rack work for you?

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
How did that roof rack work for you?
I'm really happy with it. Just used it on a 6hr drive with two soft cargo bags on it and it held everything perfectly. The initial assembly is a bit of a pain because the angle to get the bolts into the cross bars is difficult. I got my son (smaller hands) to help out with that part. But, once it's assembled, it's really easy to lift onto the gutters. It's light enough for one person to lift it, but a little too large for one person to get it into the gutters without scratching the paint.

I loaded it up with 47.25" x 19" x 13" and 59" x 34" x 21" soft cargo bags and still had room for a couple of beach chairs behind them.

My only gripe would be the noise it generates. I do have the One-Touch roof, so that most likely makes the issue worse. The wind seems to ripple/bounce across the soft top and is extremely loud.

But, a friend of mine owns a metal shop and he fabricated an adjustable aluminum air dam for me that drastically reduced the noise level to be pretty much on par with the noise level without the rack on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1625061725949

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1625061740826

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1625061549390

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1625061584882

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1625061604088

WetDreemz20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - white
I'm really happy with it. Just used it on a 6hr drive with two soft cargo bags on it and it held everything perfectly. The initial assembly is a bit of a pain because the angle to get the bolts into the cross bars is difficult. I got my son (smaller hands) to help out with that part. But, once it's assembled, it's really easy to lift onto the gutters. It's light enough for one person to lift it, but a little too large for one person to get it into the gutters without scratching the paint.

I loaded it up with 47.25" x 19" x 13" and 59" x 34" x 21" soft cargo bags and still had room for a couple of beach chairs behind them.

My only gripe would be the noise it generates. I do have the One-Touch roof, so that most likely makes the issue worse. The wind seems to ripple/bounce across the soft top and is extremely loud.

But, a friend of mine owns a metal shop and he fabricated an adjustable aluminum air dam for me that drastically reduced the noise level to be pretty much on par with the noise level without the rack on.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks very clean and the air dam looks as it were sold with it.

Sponsored

RaleighFok

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Yes! In July of 2021, THULE is coming out with an updated 300R 8" and 11" high Rain Gutter Mount that works with the whisper quiet THULE Aerobar and THULE EvoWing load bars (not the old, traditional "square" bars). I just installed a beta product test sample directly from THULE that I received last week on my 2020 Jeep RUBICON with the Sky Touch retractable top. They new mounts are absolutely awesome. They do not creak like my old square bars, and the Aerobars hold up to 200 lbs of properly distributed weight. Most importantly, they are nearly silent at interstate speeds of up to 75 mph. Just a stellar new product. So stay on the look out for them later in 2021. I can't recommend them enough. Help is on the way!
Can you install a ARB side awing on the EvoWing load bars?

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
I use the rhino rack aero cross bars with 8” legs to clear my one touch top. I have a Thule SUP rack attached to the cross bars for my paddle and surf boards.

Nice rig... I need something for my surfboards also... How is the wind noise with this?

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I Just put together a roof rack using

Rhino rack 8" legs
Rhino rack aero 59" bars,
Rhino Rack 50" wind fairing
Thule force XL

Please note get the fairing, the whistling after 25 miles and hour is no joke. It gets louder as speed ramps up. I have pictures on @alpinejeep (IG) there is a video also

IMG_20211128_151344_660.jpg

Reactions: DGT

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Does anyone know if the Gobi has enough clearance to allow the folds of the roof to pass under?
They make one that is high enough. We were about to order it when we saw Casey 250's video that shows how his Gobi damaged his Wrangler.

Dodged that bullet and ordered from MetalCloak /ARS and they shipped it within a few days. Pretty sure that Gobi still has multi-month wait times.

They call you soon after you order to verify everything. Extremely friendly / helpful / unexpected service.

Mine's been sitting in the garage since April waiting for the Jeep to arrive, so I can't comment on how well it works.

They've got really cool add-ons that are way too tempting to skip. Ours has the kat walk, lower-profile RTT cross beams, rear steps, and awning connectors.

Reactions: gek

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Was anyone able to load a rooftop tent on regular crossbars?
What do you mean by regular crossbars? If the roof rack isn't designed for the SOT then it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to open and close the top without obstruction.

mpane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 unlimited
What do you mean by regular crossbars? If the roof rack isn't designed for the SOT then it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to open and close the top without obstruction.
My main concern is whether the side gutters on which the racks are mounted, will hold the weight of the tent
Sponsored