Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options

Azhoopsfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude Silver
... The good news? That IS happening in 2020 per a recent discussion I had with their US tech department. Bad news is it’ll be Oct 2020 before they are rolled out due to COVID-19 delays. If I can figure out how to post pics, I’ll do so shortly. Hope this helps.
I wonder if there's any update on the Thule bars before I order the Rhino bars.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
With the roof closed traveling over 40 mph, I get some very interesting harmonics from the rack. This is likely because I haven't put on the bike carrier yet, mainly because I haven't ordered it yet :)

i2canoe

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2021
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 122B8715-5F87-49AD-990B-FBF3F1B0A9DD

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 122B8715-5F87-49AD-990B-FBF3F1B0A9DD

I ordered the Rhino Rack and aero bars.
Great looking set up... I have just ordered a red Wrangler with the electric roof and am looking to carry a canoe on top ... could you tell me what model Rhino this rack is as it looks like it suits the task.

WG-Moots

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys Unlimited
Occupation
Financial Advisor
I just ordered the items below for my 1-Touch. I have to wait an extra week or so because the Black Aero Crossbars were not in stock at etrailer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1615180162346

Sponsored

WG-Moots

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Advisor
I just ordered the items below for my 1-Touch. I have to wait an extra week or so because the Black Aero Crossbars were not in stock at etrailer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options 1615180162346
I received my order (changed from the black crossbars to aluminum finish) and installed it on my SOT. I can confirm there is enough room for the top to open and close with the crossbars installed.

One thing to consider is the added height of the vehicle due to addition of the tall bars. Mine (stock Willys trim) still fits in my 7ft tall garage door with a. few inches to spare. Pretty much any accessories (bike/kayak racks) attached to the crossbars would not allow it to fit into the garage. I have a low profile Kuat roof bike rack that I think will just fit ... anyway, just mentioning it as something to consider. For those of you with a lift and larger tires, you may want to measure twice before attempting to drive in/out of your garage.

josebiton

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2020
I received my order (changed from the black crossbars to aluminum finish) and installed it on my SOT. I can confirm there is enough room for the top to open and close with the crossbars installed.

One thing to consider is the added height of the vehicle due to addition of the tall bars. Mine (stock Willys trim) still fits in my 7ft tall garage door with a. few inches to spare. Pretty much any accessories (bike/kayak racks) attached to the crossbars would not allow it to fit into the garage. I have a low profile Kuat roof bike rack that I think will just fit ... anyway, just mentioning it as something to consider. For those of you with a lift and larger tires, you may want to measure twice before attempting to drive in/out of your garage.
Is the noise bad on the highway with just the racks? Others have mentioned that it can be very loud at speeds over 40? I'm looking for something to carry surfboards. Soft racks can have noise anyway, but I can take those off.

WG-Moots

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Is the noise bad on the highway with just the racks? Others have mentioned that it can be very loud at speeds over 40? I'm looking for something to carry surfboards. Soft racks can have noise anyway, but I can take those off.
I only had them on for a short time but, yes, there is additional noise. I haven't been on the highway with them. I only plan to install them when I use them. IMO, they are easy to put on and take off; 4-easy to access bolts for each bar. I don't want them on all the time due to the noise and I prefer the clean look without then installed.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Please see my post from a few minutes ago (April 8). THULE is very close to rolling out a new 300R 8" gutter mount system for use with Aerobars or Wingbar EVO load bars (i.e., the new gen aerodynamic style of roof rack bars) on 2020 or newer JLs with Sky Touch roofs. July 2021 is the expected roll out date and I have already product tested their "beta" version. It's excellent. So stay tuned. Help is on the way from THULE. Yakima is fast asleep...

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Yes! In July of 2021, THULE is coming out with an updated 300R 8" and 11" high Rain Gutter Mount that works with the whisper quiet THULE Aerobar and THULE EvoWing load bars (not the old, traditional "square" bars). I just installed a beta product test sample directly from THULE that I received last week on my 2020 Jeep RUBICON with the Sky Touch retractable top. They new mounts are absolutely awesome. They do not creak like my old square bars, and the Aerobars hold up to 200 lbs of properly distributed weight. Most importantly, they are nearly silent at interstate speeds of up to 75 mph. Just a stellar new product. So stay on the look out for them later in 2021. I can't recommend them enough. Help is on the way!

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Yes! In July of 2021, THULE is coming out with an updated 300R 8" and 11" high Rain Gutter Mount that works with the whisper quiet THULE Aerobar and THULE EvoWing load bars (not the old, traditional "square" bars). I just installed a beta product test sample directly from THULE that I received last week on my 2020 Jeep RUBICON with the Sky Touch retractable top. They new mounts are absolutely awesome. They do not creak like my old square bars, and the Aerobars hold up to 200 lbs of properly distributed weight. Most importantly, they are nearly silent at interstate speeds of up to 75 mph. Just a stellar new product. So stay on the look out for them later in 2021. I can't recommend them enough. Help is on the way!
The Aerobars may hold up to 200 pounds themselves but what is the SOT rated for? As far as I can tell, there is no specified weight rating for the SOT top so any weight you add is at your own risk. Also, what accessories can you add to the Thule bars? Are you limited to just Thule accessories or can we install other brand items like baskets or awnings even?

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Good question. I have not seen the official specs yet but it is traditionally 100 lbs per load bar. If you have a Sky Touch Top, I seriously doubt these THULE or YAKIMA traditional load bar systems can handle tents and such given the very light supporting structure of the Sky Touch roof frame. Heavy tent setups really need to use GOBI, GARVIN or similar systems with external skeletal structures that bolt onto the Jeep's frame. I used to have a Garvin system on my prior 2017 JK 2D Rubicon and hated it. It was very well made but used to shake and rattle all the time, especially when driving over RR tracks and other road bumps. These THULE and YAKIMA systems are much tighter and very easy to install but are intended only to carry bikes, a piece or two of plywood, ladders, kayaks, paddleboards and other relatively light objects and materials. I still think the new THULE 300R high rise design is a MAJOR improvement for new gen JL Wranglers with Sky Touch Tops. The THULE system is nearly silent and I find the total lack of wind noise is a true game changer.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Apologies for not answering the last part of your question. the new THULE 300R high rise gutter mounts, when combined with older Aerobars or new gen WingBar Evo load bars, can capacitate any traditional bike, kayak, load carrier basket, or other equipment currently offered by THULE.

Jeeprius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe, Tesla X
These THULE and YAKIMA systems are much tighter and very easy to install but are intended only to carry bikes, a piece or two of plywood, ladders, kayaks, paddleboards and other relatively light objects and materials.
Thanks for reaching out to Thule and helping to make this happen. I'm picking up my 4xe this week, with a SOT top, and am looking for a good way to carry my two Bote hardshell paddle boards on top. Total weight of the setup would be under 100 pounds. But I do wonder if, at say 65mph, the upward force on the boards might put a lot of pressure on the gutter/mount interface and cause the gutters to crack or separate from the rest of the shell. But there's probably a way of alleviating that force, by running a taut static cord from the boards to the windshield tie-down bumpers. Wondering if anyone else has thoughts/experience with this?
Sponsored