Sponsored

Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
Happy to finally have my Gobi rack installed. It was about a 16 week wait for this... but I'm so happy with the results. Can't wait for spring so I can put my Roof Top Tent on and do some overlanding in the new rig!

JLUR-withGobiRack.jpg
what are the things on the doors?
Sponsored

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JKU, 2019 JLU Rubicon
what are the things on the doors?
Those are the Smittybilt Atlas fold out steps (complete with bottle opener). They are extremely sturdy platform steps that fold down and allow you to step on them while accessing your top roof rack cargo.

Hope this helps.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Happy to finally have my Gobi rack installed. It was about a 16 week wait for this... but I'm so happy with the results. Can't wait for spring so I can put my Roof Top Tent on and do some overlanding in the new rig!

JLUR-withGobiRack.jpg
What is it like with top open regarding wind noise. Also can you take some pics from inside looking upwards?

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is it like with top open regarding wind noise. Also can you take some pics from inside looking upwards?
I'm in Canada and it's mid-February... so it will be a few more months until I'm driving around with the top open. I did have it open yesterday just for a minute but I was parked in my driveway. I'll take pics when the temperatures go up... but I don't expect any significant wind noise as the Gobi rack has a wind deflector which seems to be working quite well.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Canada and it's mid-February... so it will be a few more months until I'm driving around with the top open. I did have it open yesterday just for a minute but I was parked in my driveway. I'll take pics when the temperatures go up... but I don't expect any significant wind noise as the Gobi rack has a wind deflector which seems to be working quite well.
Dig that! I bet it’s gorgeous up there. Do you fly fish?

Sponsored

Munafs

First Name
Munaf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon 4dr
Well, the roof is elevated at the middle from the gutter higher than a typical top and the "pleats" gather up about 4.5" from that top. I have been having a similar problem and looking for a solution as well. Supposedly, the gutter mounted rack from Mopar doesn't have enough clearance for the pleats.

I am leaning towards the "high-rise" version of the Thule gutter mounts, but waiting to see if there is a better solution.

I had the Garvin on my '14, but I don't think there would be enough clearance for that one.

So, if anyone else has practical application, please let us know.

on53G5u6RR2xcYYZiO8cCQ.jpg
How was your experience with Thule 387. I was able to find 953 some how. I read somewhere that the gutters on the power roof are not the same as hard top. i am not sure what the difference is. Can you please share if your rack held up good. I am planning to just get the cross bar for a couple of kayaks.

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the top open on the trails (and with the Roof top tent towards the back and a platform directly over the front seats... it's great (no wind noise at low speed). With it open around town... it's a bit louder but still fine. Highway... the wind noise is really loud. It's fine with the roof closed though. Here are a couple of pics with the tent open and closed. The one touch roof still operates with this setup. Note: I could remove the platform over the front seats entirely... but I like it as it still feels open air and it prevents anyone from getting in when I leave the top open.

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9876.JPG

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a great set up! Thank you for update and pics.
I’m completely envious.
With the top open on the trails (and with the Roof top tent towards the back and a platform directly over the front seats... it's great (no wind noise at low speed). With it open around town... it's a bit louder but still fine. Highway... the wind noise is really loud. It's fine with the roof closed though. Here are a couple of pics with the tent open and closed. The one touch roof still operates with this setup. Note: I could remove the platform over the front seats entirely... but I like it as it still feels open air and it prevents anyone from getting in when I leave the top open.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options IMG_9876.JPG

Sponsored

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
How was your experience with Thule 387. I was able to find 953 some how. I read somewhere that the gutters on the power roof are not the same as hard top. i am not sure what the difference is. Can you please share if your rack held up good. I am planning to just get the cross bar for a couple of kayaks.
I have had good experience with the Thule option. I use the stnd square bars with “mid-level” (or 8” rise) footers on my SkyTop roof gutters and it works fine. No need to use high level or 12” rise. Obviously, there is some wind noise with the square bars and I hear it more in my 2020 Rubi (given the thin material in the SkyTop) than I did in my 2017 Wranger (which had a hard top with freedom panels). Also, I tried my old Yakima round bars but they were worse in terms of wine noise. So the Thule is a workable solution right now until the company comes out with a mid-rise gutter mount for their blade or aero bars. The good news? That IS happening in 2020 per a recent discussion I had with their US tech department. Bad news is it’ll be Oct 2020 before they are rolled out due to COVID-19 delays. If I can figure out how to post pics, I’ll do so shortly. Hope this helps.

DBE08E29-BCF5-4EB5-BC65-9613829F37D4.jpeg

E100C9E3-835F-45A4-8D23-A4FFEF845324.jpeg

Fireman1925

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Military/Fire Fighter
I have had good experience with the Thule option. I use the stnd square bars with “mid-level” (or 8” rise) footers on my SkyTop roof gutters and it works fine. No need to use high level or 12” rise. Obviously, there is some wind noise with the square bars and I hear it more in my 2020 Rubi (given the thin material in the SkyTop) than I did in my 2017 Wranger (which had a hard top with freedom panels). Also, I tried my old Yakima round bars but they were worse in terms of wine noise. So the Thule is a workable solution right now until the company comes out with a mid-rise gutter mount for their blade or aero bars. The good news? That IS happening in 2020 per a recent discussion I had with their US tech department. Bad news is it’ll be Oct 2020 before they are rolled out due to COVID-19 delays. If I can figure out how to post pics, I’ll do so shortly. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options E100C9E3-835F-45A4-8D23-A4FFEF845324

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options E100C9E3-835F-45A4-8D23-A4FFEF845324
If you are ever interested in selling those Thule gutter foots and cross bar let me know.

Fireman1925

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Military/Fire Fighter

Where did you find those 8” inch gutter foot. I cant find them anywhere.

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
I use the rhino rack aero cross bars with 8” legs to clear my one touch top. I have a Thule SUP rack attached to the cross bars for my paddle and surf boards.

F36AECB2-4506-4375-B547-5703B579AFC7.jpeg

D3A4A0B9-5FC8-4C3F-9C68-AA0A650A5DA7.jpeg

Fireman1925

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Military/Fire Fighter
I use the rhino rack aero cross bars with 8” legs to clear my one touch top. I have a Thule SUP rack attached to the cross bars for my paddle and surf boards.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options D3A4A0B9-5FC8-4C3F-9C68-AA0A650A5DA7

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options D3A4A0B9-5FC8-4C3F-9C68-AA0A650A5DA7
Where did you find that roof rack set up I cant find the 8” legs
Sponsored