Sponsored

Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020)

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

Last year, there was very limited options of roof racks for the Sky One-Touch tops.
I'm curious if there's any new options/alternatives?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Your racks that don't attach to the roof are, while most expensive, I think, your best play.

And yet it's still not as simple as that.

You want to go with a design that's been tested to be a high enough from the roof top to clear the folds in the sky one-touch soft top when open.

I believe Gobi has a special version of their rack for this top and that LOD Offroad has also tested their rack configurations for it as well.

I'd definitely check with these manufacturers first.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
So, having a 2020 JLU with the Sky top, I did a bit of research a while back into this topic. You're basically limited to LOD and Gobi at this point. With the LOD you pretty much have to select their fancy sliding platform if you want to get the height to be able to open and close the top. It wasn't immediately clear to me whether the option with the fancy platform allowed the top to open only when it was slid to the side. The challenge with this LOD solution, even if it did allow the top to open with the fancy platform in the overhead position, was that the platform itself was not light. I did the math for a large RTT, and the combination of the RTT and that platform was almost bang on the max dynamic load rating for the roof rack itself. Not having any wriggle room in this dimension made me a little nervous. The only way out of this conundrum was to go for the simple, and much lighter, traditional crossbar option instead of the fancy sliding platform, and just not open the top when I had the RTT and crossbars on. Not exactly optimal for my use case. Upside of the LOD system was that I could get it in a matter of 3-4 weeks.

I also looked at the Gobi. To start with, aesthetically the Gobi worked better for me, and I preferred the way they went about the mount points to the body of the Jeep. They also have an option specifically for the Sky top, and it doesn't add any additional weight to the overall build, and does definitely allow opening the top with the rack and crossbars mounted. Downside of the Gobi is the lead times are on the order of months at the moment.

So, I originally had a Gobi order in for my 2 door JK, which I'd placed a week or two before my JLUR turned up on my drive. I then foolishly pulled the trigger on the LOD for the JLUR, given the long lead times on the Gobi, and my original pre-COVID summer plans needing some kind of solution earlier than Gobi could potentially deliver. Then COVID happened, and suddenly my schedule was not as pressing, and I started having regrets about going for the LOD for the JLUR. I called Gobi, and they were thankfully able to modify my order to be for the JLUR (with some extra cash involved, of course). Unfortunately, LOD's sales are final, and so I had to take delivery of the LOD rack and crossbars, and sell them on at a bit of a loss. And now I just have to wait for my Gobi order to be built.

It's been an interesting journey so far, albeit somewhat expensive, and it's a little annoying having only the two options for the Sky roofed JLUs, but it is what it is, I guess. Still don't regret getting that Sky roof though. The convenience of being able to essentially go topless at the press of a button is just incredible.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
So, having a 2020 JLU with the Sky top, I did a bit of research a while back into this topic. You're basically limited to LOD and Gobi at this point. With the LOD you pretty much have to select their fancy sliding platform if you want to get the height to be able to open and close the top. It wasn't immediately clear to me whether the option with the fancy platform allowed the top to open only when it was slid to the side. The challenge with this LOD solution, even if it did allow the top to open with the fancy platform in the overhead position, was that the platform itself was not light. I did the math for a large RTT, and the combination of the RTT and that platform was almost bang on the max dynamic load rating for the roof rack itself. Not having any wriggle room in this dimension made me a little nervous. The only way out of this conundrum was to go for the simple, and much lighter, traditional crossbar option instead of the fancy sliding platform, and just not open the top when I had the RTT and crossbars on. Not exactly optimal for my use case. Upside of the LOD system was that I could get it in a matter of 3-4 weeks.

I also looked at the Gobi. To start with, aesthetically the Gobi worked better for me, and I preferred the way they went about the mount points to the body of the Jeep. They also have an option specifically for the Sky top, and it doesn't add any additional weight to the overall build, and does definitely allow opening the top with the rack and crossbars mounted. Downside of the Gobi is the lead times are on the order of months at the moment.

So, I originally had a Gobi order in for my 2 door JK, which I'd placed a week or two before my JLUR turned up on my drive. I then foolishly pulled the trigger on the LOD for the JLUR, given the long lead times on the Gobi, and my original pre-COVID summer plans needing some kind of solution earlier than Gobi could potentially deliver. Then COVID happened, and suddenly my schedule was not as pressing, and I started having regrets about going for the LOD for the JLUR. I called Gobi, and they were thankfully able to modify my order to be for the JLUR (with some extra cash involved, of course). Unfortunately, LOD's sales are final, and so I had to take delivery of the LOD rack and crossbars, and sell them on at a bit of a loss. And now I just have to wait for my Gobi order to be built.

It's been an interesting journey so far, albeit somewhat expensive, and it's a little annoying having only the two options for the Sky roofed JLUs, but it is what it is, I guess. Still don't regret getting that Sky roof though. The convenience of being able to essentially go topless at the press of a button is just incredible.
FYI - Our base rack with base cross members will work with the sky one touch top. You do not need the sliding rack.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Upon reflection, I'd have to say that the LOD roof rack is IMHO so much better a compliment to the Sky One-Touch Roof than is the Gobi (that's the version of the Gobi otherwise designed with enough height clearance to fit this power roof to be specific.)

I say this because the LOD has the ability to easily remove (some or all) cross member bars and/or the platforms that connect to them, including any of these choices optionally sliding completely to one side while the rig's parked, to enjoy that which the open power roof exposes.

The sliding option is not bidirectional: you pick which slide you want to partially or fully cantilever to (passenger's or driver's) and can I'd guess change that after install by switching the front and back slides with the sliding portion disassembled.

I'd think slidng to the passenger's side would make most sense in the States, where sidewalks are more common on the passenger's side.

Sure, Gobi racks tilt back, but it's cumbersome when they're empty and darn near impossible, let alone I'll advised from an engineering standpoint when loaded with gear.

Last edited:

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
There are some gutter mounted crossbars that are higher than standard and the gobi stealth if you wanna hold weight.

not really anything else you can do.
There’s now a hitch system for roof top tents.

https://rubiconep.com/hitch-tent-rack-system
Do you know who carries those higher gutter-mounted crossbars? Newbie and have my JL coming later this month. I don't need to mount a rooftop tent, just perhaps a basket for some extra storage. Any way to know how much weight might those crossbars be able to hold comfortably?

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
Do you know who carries those higher gutter-mounted crossbars? Newbie and have my JL coming later this month. I don't need to mount a rooftop tent, just perhaps a basket for some extra storage. Any way to know how much weight might those crossbars be able to hold comfortably?
I use rhino rack 8” legs and their aero crossbars for my paddle boards and surf boards with my one touch and it clears the top when opening and closing with no problem. Not too much wind noise either.

FA4EF1EE-A68F-4CF0-B5F3-C78A10CA5229.jpeg

89D74D5E-664F-44CF-8C9A-84F8FD9BD779.jpeg

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Gman53

Gary: you reminded me of something.

We need to not only be away of the weight we place on the rain gutters (150 lbs?) but how aerodynamic things on top of the rig, facing highway wind speeds, tug at these rain gutters as well.

Sky Top

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sky One Touch Power Top
I also used the rhino rack 210mm or 8" feet. However, I used the heavy duty bars.

Ordered a basket for the top. I will get back to this thread on the weight capacity of the full unit.

IMG_5295.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I also used the rhino rack 210mm or 8" feet. However, I used the heavy duty bars.

Ordered a basket for the top. I will get back to this thread on the weight capacity of the full unit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) IMG_5295
Best video yet. Thanks!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Does anyone know how loud the SOT equipped Jeeps are with the Gobi or LOD racks?

zan3310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2020
Question- has anyone installed a yakima skybox on a gobi stealth rack? I'm a bit concerned loading up our sky box with the rain gutter attachments. Thanks

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) IMG_5295
How has the wind noise been with the Rhino rack setup and how long would you say the install is after the initial setup? I don't want to leave the racking on all the time, but put it on for trip specific events (primarily a fishing kayak) or a longer overland trip where will put some accessories on the roof. Thanks.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the DV8 full length roof rack.

<https://dv8offroad.com/collections/...roducts/2018-jeep-jl-4-door-roof-rack-rrjl-01>

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) 1619815864023

While you can't open the One-Touch roof with it on, it was the only full length rack I could find that:
• the cross bars don't touch the roof
• doesn't have have the giant frame that bolts to the cowl and rear bumper
• wasn't $1,000+ (it's only $530)

It's really easy to remove when not in use as well. It definitely gets noisier when moving at highway speeds. I have a friend who owns a metal shop; going to see if he can fabricate a slanted piece to attach to the front to try to direct more of the air upwards so it doesn't ripple across the soft roof.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) 1619816077484
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) 1619816101277

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options (2020) 1619816122567
Sponsored