RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I believe this works too. If so and it's easier (for you,) why not.

However it's done, the important point being to take the rig for a wash, not a drag (read: not a bummer, but a pull/push of the rig with wheels locked.)
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Agreed. Maybe someone can elaborate if I'm wrong. BTW, the put you in park feature while opening the door SUCKS. I was pulling up somewhere and needed to open the door to see the ground and BAM the thing threw itself into park... ughh...
That's what happens when lawyers need a way to bill more hours.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Hey everyone, I bought a new Rubicon 4dr couple of weeks ago at Meador Dodge in Fort Worth. One of the biggest draws for this particular one was it was the first and only one they had gotten in that had the Sky One touch auto top. I knew the moment I retracted it on the test drive it was the one for me. Anyway, fast forward a couple of weeks and I decided to be brave a test the tops resiliency by taking it through a Zips car wash. This is not a "no touch" wash, it has the hanging brushes and side brushes.

I am happy to report that the top did awesome. Zero leaks, no waterfall coming in the door or on the trim afterward, no issues with the hanging brushes on the top, and no problems going through the blowers at the end. The top never even moved. I think what most folks don't realize on the Sky One Touch tops is they are very well re-enforced and have lots of metal cross struts to provide support, unlike some of the previous bikini and soft tops. I made sure it was well rinsed and allowed it to air and sun dry before going back in the garage with it. I plan to treat it with some canvas/twill spray on treatment for soft top vehicles in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I just wanted to post this because I know there has been a lot of curiosity about this top and very little info about it's ability to stand up in a modern car wash. I can happily say it has no issues at all, and didn't leak a drop. We will see what affect time has on this thing too, but for now it gets an A+ from me.

Maybe next time I will make a video and link it here for those who are curious.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch top and car wash {filename}

Looks great. Keep us posted on reliability with it. I have been very interested in this top since I know the likelihood of me storing the hard top is nil. I'm also curious how much height the folds create when it's being retracted. I really like the idea of a roof top tent down the line, but am I completely nuts to consider using a Gobi or other external rack with this top?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
am I completely nuts to consider using a Gobi or other external rack with this top?
totally not...high end racks like the Gobi or soon to be released one for the JL from LOD Offroad don't, I think, have attachment points on the top and will likely be high enough to clear the power tops folds. Do though check before purchase

...or with the lack of pocket change (at least I know I wouldn't have if I had been) buying this power top, make my rack, whose height you can adjust.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033

If the vendor tops aren't high enough, I've added two garage door tracks to mine, whose height is adjustable and which run the length of the rig on either side (passenger's/driver's,) that will allow a grid that stow your gear on to slide forward and back so hard top owners can take out/put in Freedom Panels or soft top owners can open/close their top (or power top owners can push a button as usual!).

When I'm done I'll post it here and hope I don't infringe on LOD's patent pending status.;)

Here's a teaser. I circled a garage door wheel, one of several to be attached on each side.

On its best day it won't work as well as LOD's. The JK one's pictured below, the JL one is discussed to slide to either side.

or bag the power top and make my power soft top opener, whose instructions I will release soon:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-power-soft-top.13374/#post-402695

Choices!

OP
OP
trith72

trith72

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
Thanks for being the guinea pig on this! Mine definitely need another wash and I was hesitant to go through the car wash with the power soft top.
Cheers!
PS What are you going to treat it with?
I just finished treating the top this last weekend with 303 Fabric Guard. Works great. It rained it's butt off today and the water just beaded right off the top like it was a ducks' back.

Reactions: TMP

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
totally not...high end racks like the Gobi or soon to be released one for the JL from LOD Offroad don't, I think, have attachment points on the top and will likely be high enough to clear the power tops folds. Do though check before purchase

...or with the lack of pocket change (at least I know I wouldn't have if I had been) buying this power top, make my rack, whose height you can adjust.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033

If the vendor tops aren't high enough, I've added two garage door tracks to mine, whose height is adjustable and which run the length of the rig on either side (passenger's/driver's,) that will allow a grid that stow your gear on to slide forward and back so hard top owners can take out/put in Freedom Panels or soft top owners can open/close their top (or power top owners can push a button as usual!).

When I'm done I'll post it here and hope I don't infringe on LOD's patent pending status.;)

Here's a teaser. I circled a garage door wheel, one of several to be attached on each side.

On its best day it won't work as well as LOD's. The JK one's pictured below, the JL one is discussed to slide to either side.

or bag the power top and make my power soft top opener, whose instructions I will release soon:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-power-soft-top.13374/#post-402695

Choices!
Thanks. If I went this top I’d want a rack that was external and preferably had removable cross members so it would be totally open when not in use.

That’d be pretty damn cool.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I’d want a rack that was external and preferably had removable cross members so it would be totally open when not in use.
We are very much on the same page George.

1 - Couplers that when loosened (Allen wrench I carry with me) permit the easy removal of cross members http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Coupling.pdf

2 & 3 - Hardware that permits a cross member, once its coupling is loosened, to fold out of the way, so I can enjoy the openness but carry the cross member with me at all times should I be, for example, taking home long segments of pipe/lumber from the big box store and need a distal cross member to attach it to.

http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Galvanized_Pipe.pdf

Two - http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Swivel_Base.pdf

Four - 1" I.D. eye bolts

4 - Garage track (yet to be power coated) for the grid of the prior post to be slid back to open soft top or take out hard top or hard top Freedom Panels.

5 - Garage track attached via vertical pipe you can make as long as you like, to make track as high as you like, to clear folded soft top or power top.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
We are very much on the same page George.

1 - Couplers that when loosened (Allen wrench I carry with me) permit the easy removal of cross members http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Coupling.pdf

2 & 3 - Hardware that permits a cross member, once its coupling is loosened, to fold out of the way, so I can enjoy the openness but carry the cross member with me at all times should I be, for example, taking home long segments of pipe/lumber from the big box store and need a distal cross member to attach it to.

http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Galvanized_Pipe.pdf

Two - http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Swivel_Base.pdf

Four - 1" I.D. eye bolts

4 - Garage track (yet to be power coated) for the grid of the prior post to be slid back to open soft top or take out hard top or hard top Freedom Panels.

5 - Garage track attached via vertical pipe you can make as long as you like, to make track as high as you like, to clear folded soft top or power top.

I’m impressed. That’s pretty damned awesome. More impressed you’re doing it. I’m so lazy.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That's what happens when lawyers need a way to bill more hours.
Fair point...

or when celebrities have freak accidents (as being a celebrity unfortunately no way precludes them from doing dumb things like not putting their rig in park before exiting it) that corporate lawyers, simply doing their job and responding, realize have to be addressed for not only public relations but liability reasons, because jurors feel sorry even when people bring bad fortune upon themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Yelchin#Death

This is not meant as disrespect to Mr. Yelchin. It rather puts on trial the tort justifiable need for companies to have to put labels on hot coffee that says "coffee is hot" when someone takes the lid off in their car and gets their privates badly burnt; my sympathies but not necessarily $ to the plantiff here.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

#makecompaniesandconsumersresponsible

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I’m so lazy.
;)I'm so unwilling to shell out more $ for accessories than the cost of my first car.;)

(if Ben and Jerry's has a policy to not pay its top executives more than 6x its lowest paid employees I can have a mantra that says I won't pay more for accessories than a car;))

(Someone once asked why I worked so hard to make a soft top power opener. I responded that apart from the challenge it was to keep vendors responsible in their pricing...for if they seek too much in profit, people may become DIYers)

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Can someone capture how far back the top slides? Whether it goes past the rear cross member or not.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Can someone capture how far back the top slides? Whether it goes past the rear cross member or not.
My guess is that it stops at the rear cross member.

You've probably seen this:

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just finished treating the top this last weekend with 303 Fabric Guard. Works great. It rained it's butt off today and the water just beaded right off the top like it was a ducks' back.
Thanks! I will try that out.
Cheers!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You are correct.

(Satire)

;)I do have one huge problem with your pictures Taylor. In that first one is a boulder on the ground, and one of your wheels is not on it!!!;)

(I kid! My idea of offroad lately has been taking my wife to the flea market and parking my rig in the non-paved lot.)
Sponsored