Sky One Touch top and car wash

trith72

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
Hey everyone, I bought a new Rubicon 4dr couple of weeks ago at Meador Dodge in Fort Worth. One of the biggest draws for this particular one was it was the first and only one they had gotten in that had the Sky One touch auto top. I knew the moment I retracted it on the test drive it was the one for me. Anyway, fast forward a couple of weeks and I decided to be brave a test the tops resiliency by taking it through a Zips car wash. This is not a "no touch" wash, it has the hanging brushes and side brushes.

I am happy to report that the top did awesome. Zero leaks, no waterfall coming in the door or on the trim afterward, no issues with the hanging brushes on the top, and no problems going through the blowers at the end. The top never even moved. I think what most folks don't realize on the Sky One Touch tops is they are very well re-enforced and have lots of metal cross struts to provide support, unlike some of the previous bikini and soft tops. I made sure it was well rinsed and allowed it to air and sun dry before going back in the garage with it. I plan to treat it with some canvas/twill spray on treatment for soft top vehicles in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I just wanted to post this because I know there has been a lot of curiosity about this top and very little info about it's ability to stand up in a modern car wash. I can happily say it has no issues at all, and didn't leak a drop. We will see what affect time has on this thing too, but for now it gets an A+ from me.

Maybe next time I will make a video and link it here for those who are curious.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch top and car wash {filename}

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Thanks Trith72. Great job. I will feel safer running mine through a car wash. I also have a red Rubicon - just basic wheels.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm glad the power top faired well in the car wash.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, it's the transmission that concerns me, across all tops, in JL automatics at car washes: at least automatic car washes.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
While it may have held up, those washes really do a number on your clear coat with all the grit and grime on the brushes. I'm sure it's not good for the fabric either. Touchless aren't great either, they have some fairly strong chemicals. I'd stick to pressure washing at most and cleanup with soft water after.

OP
OP
trith72

trith72

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
Oh wow I didnt know about the auto park issue. Good thing I stayed in the jeep with the engine running for the wash.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
While it may have held up, those washes really do a number on your clear coat with all the grit and grime on the brushes. I'm sure it's not good for the fabric either. Touchless aren't great either, they have some fairly strong chemicals. I'd stick to pressure washing at most and cleanup with soft water after.
I had a detail guy say the same thing and he went on to say that even just using the pressure washer (like to get the mud off from off roading) can start to scratch it. He said they have to recycle their water and you don't know how good that was done.

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for being the guinea pig on this! Mine definitely need another wash and I was hesitant to go through the car wash with the power soft top.
Cheers!
PS What are you going to treat it with?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was referring to a car wash where you get out. At that point you need to treat the Jeep like it's in a flat tow. Proper way to do that... Transfer case in neutral, tranny in Park, shut off Jeep. Now it can properly be run through a car wash (or flat towed) with no one in it. No way in **** I am letting some 16 year old try to figure out how to do that or get it all back into drive. Simple solution... don't go to a car wash where you need to get out.

What you are referring to is correct...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Maybe someone can elaborate if I'm wrong. BTW, the put you in park feature while opening the door SUCKS. I was pulling up somewhere and needed to open the door to see the ground and BAM the thing threw itself into park... ughh...