Sky one touch toof

Jenvance

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara
Anyone have the sky one touch roof? Opinions on if you are glad you got it, is it loud? Does it leak at all when it rains?
Sponsored

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
Anyone have the sky one touch roof? Opinions on if you are glad you got it, is it loud? Does it leak at all when it rains?
I am so glad I went with the SOT. I wasn't sure at first about the looks with the rear windows out, but it grew on me quickly. I opened it on my way to lunch today, closed it as soon as I got back to work since there are heavy clouds in the sky. I had a hard top before and would have a little anxiety about getting caught in the rain here in DWF Texas SOT solved that. It's a little noisier than my hard top was (I think) but sill not bad. I open it several times a week and I have just under 10,000 miles on the Jeep and I have had no issues with it and I have not had any leaks. The SOT is definitely my preference from here on out.

Just my experience and opinion.

SOT.jpg

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
The one touch roof came with my Jeep, I did not custom order my Jeep so it was a dealer spec.

We use the one touch roof more than I expected. It is very convenient and adds to the experience.

I have not owned the Jeep long enough to drive through heavy rain yet and I have not taken the Jeep to an automated car wash so I cannot comment on leaking at this point in time.

On one of my first off-roading trips some water dripped out of the tracks of the one touch roof. The water had a white alkaline powder in it that made a huge mess of my interior. I haven't had the water drip from the tracks since but it was a major PITA to try and detail afterwards.

I've never driven a Wrangler without the one touch so I can't comment on its noise level vs the standard hardtop. I added a hot heads liner and it did help with noise though the interior is still quite loud at 75mph+.

Overall my experience has been positive and I wouldn't hesitate to get the one touch again at this point in my ownership cycle.

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
The HUGE advantage (over the soft top) is that you can drive and open the top at any time, at the push of button, without having to check the weather before you leave, or having to consider in advance whether you're going to stop in a safe/not so safe area. If there is a sudden downpour, or if you need to park and leave the car for 10 minutes, press that magic button again, close the top and you're good.

The other big advantage (over the soft top) is that you get a rear glass window, which is far easier/faster to open than the plastic screen of the soft top.

I've not noticed any water leak (but I don't go to the automatic car wash, I use a pressure washer) and it does not wistle or rattle.

To summarize, it's a good compromise between the soft top and the hard top. It gives you maybe 75% of the open air experience of the soft top, but with 95% of the convenience of the hard top. I would buy it again.

bmwbutch

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Didn't know about this top. Had been looking for a used soft top jeep for a while. Started to look at hardtops and was going to buy a soft top for summers. Found this one and loved it. It's not like having the complete top off, but enough for me. Super nice when your out and get caught in the rain. Closes under around 70 mph.

Sponsored

Kurtw

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I have a Jeep on order with the SOT. I am worried about bears ripping it apart if we left food in the Jeep up in the high country. Anyone have thoughts about this? I am planning to get big Yeti coolers to start with pad locks. Hearing the comments from folks on here does make me feel better about my purchase.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
My wife loves it, and I like it more than I thought. However, I find it to be a pain in the rear when looking for a rack that will hold a RTT. Only real options are some exoskeleton type racks, which I am fine with, but if you want to still open the top you need one tall enough so the top clears when opening. My current plan is the Metalcloak with raised trusses.

I will say, get a Hothead Headliner for it if you do get one.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I was on the fence about the SOT, but when I took delivery of my Rubi392 and operated it for the first time, I knew I was glad that I listened to my Dad when he suggested. Like others mentioned it is a little noisy compared to a hardtop but nothing crazy in my opinion.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I would go drive one before you order. For the vast majority I believe the SOT will be an easier winner. For me though it didn’t really win me over. The cabin didn’t feel nearly as open when the sot top was back vs the front hard top panels off. The Sot keeps around an extra 2-3” of top on each side. While this doesn’t sound like a lot it to me it lessened the open top experience. You can kind of visualize this in the online builder in 3D view.

With that said I ordered my wife’s rubicon with the SOT and my rubicon with just the hard top. Maybe my mind will change over time once I drive both regularly. I’ll update once I receive both and get some more time behind the wheel.

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
If you are buying a Jeep to go topless get a SOT. Hardtop owners have the top on 99.8% of the time. Soft top owner probably 90% of the time. SOT is just the push of a button. Even when its 40 degrees outside I open the SOT on sunny days. SOT is the only option if you want the top off experience.

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I have a JLUR with the hardtop. I also have the pulley system set up in my garage ceiling to make getting the top off super easy for 1 person. But even with this set up, I don't get to take the top off as much as I'd like due to Atlanta's off and on rain during the spring and summer.

It'll be a few years down the road but I'm considering getting the SOT on my next Wrangler. I'm getting older and the thought of having a convertible Wrangler without the physical hassle of removing the bulky top is tempting. If I'm being honest though, I love the look of a Wrangler with the top completely removed. Since you can't do that with the SOT in it's current design, I may never pull the trigger on the SOT when the time actually comes.

Earlier in the thread is an image posted of the SOT rolled back with doors off and side windows out. I'll post my pic here with the top completely removed but doors on (same color Jeep). I guess it's a matter of opinion on which roofless look is more appealing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch toof lot1

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
If you are buying a Jeep to go topless get a SOT. Hardtop owners have the top on 99.8% of the time. Soft top owner probably 90% of the time. SOT is just the push of a button. Even when its 40 degrees outside I open the SOT on sunny days. SOT is the only option if you want the top off experience.
Are those numbers from a Rasmussen poll or Quinnipiac?

RKB

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460 and FJ
I drove a demo Rubicon with the SOT and liked it more than I thought I would and the wife likes it but DANG at $4K that son of a buck is expensive! I am not sure it is worth it?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I drove a demo Rubicon with the SOT and liked it more than I thought I would and the wife likes it but DANG at $4K that son of a buck is expensive! I am not sure it is worth it?
That 4k price definitely makes it less tempting of an option if you're on the fence....