Sky One Touch Roof - Yes or NO

gjsimp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have owned a 2019 Rubicon with Sky one touch roof since December. Love it. I had the same concerns of leaking water. Sure enough on my first long drive and being in the rain, a few drops of water came through n both sides. I have it at dealer now. Was told they are waiting to hear back from Chrysler engineer on how to proceed. Sounds like a new reseal on the top. I feel confident they can stop the water leak. If not I will trade it in and buy a new vette.
Sponsored

chadtboston

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
So I have to say I love my sky power top even with the leak and the horrible squeak they haven’t been able to figure out yet. They fixed the leak so far even though we only had one rain since the fix but I am being told that after two months of ownership that they might have to replace the entire top due the EXTREME squeak I am getting. With that being said I LOVE the feature and I still don’t regret the decision to go with the sky power top. DO IT!!!!

oklarado jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So I have to say I love my sky power top even with the leak and the horrible squeak they haven’t been able to figure out yet. They fixed the leak so far even though we only had one rain since the fix but I am being told that after two months of ownership that they might have to replace the entire top due the EXTREME squeak I am getting. With that being said I LOVE the feature and I still don’t regret the decision to go with the sky power top. DO IT!!!!
Just bought my 2019 Rubicon with the 3.6 and sky touch roof. Been lying in wait for the granite crystal metallic color and bought it the first day it arrived on the lot. The sky touch is incredible and used on a daily basis. Yesterday was the perfect day for it with scattered showers throughout the day. Opened and closed it regularly to keep the rain out while enjoying the sun when it came out. No leaks, no squeaks. Will never go back to the hard top or soft top. Love the safari look with the doors off and the side windows out. Getting the LOD Destroyer roof rack as soon as it’s available for my rooftop tent.

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
Definitely love having more top options available for the Jeep.

My opinion: I don't think the sky touch is worth a 4k premium. I'm a soft top guy because I like to be able to take the top completely off.

Sponsored

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
Yes its going to be cool when winter is here. I like the cold and can wear Coat and be warm and open her up more. I was coming home Monday and saw showers around and closed top just as it showered some. Have seen some Jeeps caught in rain down here. Some Jeep owners like getting wet. Cloth seats do dry out but Leather is bad getting wet and mine are leather. Are you going to put some photos up of Jeep ?
funny u say that i took some this weekend so i could add a pic in my profile! and i agree, wet leather not so fun..

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
So shopping around for a JL. Originally had no interest in the sky powered top and just wanted a dual top package with a leftover 18. Went to go look at some and the wife found a 19 with the sky power top and loved it.

I’m torn because I don’t mind taking down the soft top but I also understand the compromise as she said she’ll never take it down but she would use the power top everyday. So I’m leaning towards the power.

I’ve read through this whole thread and seems like basically everyone is happy with theirs.

Just checking in seeing if any updates if anyone has any different feelings? Concerns? Issues? Leaks? Or all still great?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So shopping around for a JL. Originally had no interest in the sky powered top and just wanted a dual top package with a leftover 18. Went to go look at some and the wife found a 19 with the sky power top and loved it.

I’m torn because I don’t mind taking down the soft top but I also understand the compromise as she said she’ll never take it down but she would use the power top everyday. So I’m leaning towards the power.

I’ve read through this whole thread and seems like basically everyone is happy with theirs.

Just checking in seeing if any updates if anyone has any different feelings? Concerns? Issues? Leaks? Or all still great?
Monday morning we had real hard downpour. I mean it rained 15 mins and had one full inch in rain gauge. Was on freeway at 70 MPH, had to slow down but drove through that storm pounding Jeep. No leaks so yes I knock on wood. Been through some heavy rain since had it and no leaks.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
funny u say that i took some this weekend so i could add a pic in my profile! and i agree, wet leather not so fun..
I don't see pics if you put them on. You should set up Garage Page and you can upload all kinds of pics etc on it.

Big Woody

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
As with all things Jeep, much comes down to personal preference and hassle factor and how much you like the open air. If you LOVE open air and hate hassle, the top if for you. It is similar to owning a convertible, you compromise a little on looks, noise, security, and durability; but if the top is down >50% of the time it's totally worth it. I debated this and in my own personal use, I only really like the top open on weekends when the weather is nice and popping the T tops off is easy for me and I don't really mind so I opted for the 3 piece hardtop and am super happy with it. If it was for my daughters or my wife I would have probably opted for the Sky Touch. It just comes down to your priorities.

Sponsored

ctaborda

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 430i Convertible 2019, Looking for a Sahara or Moab.
Yea, you got a lot of tolerance...

dual top for me.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
I love the open air and basically would have it open year round barring rain or snow. Don’t mind the heat or cold. When we took the soft top for the test drive I even have to admit taking it down wasn’t terrible but I could see how putting it back together could get old quick.

Think I’ll just go power as I’ll probably get more open air time and it’ll make her happier. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Now I just gotta go find a deal on one of those. Sticker of the one we looked at was 52,600. Tough to swallow. Got them down to about 48k but thats still quite a bit.

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
I like convertibles so the sky one touch was a no brainer for me. Love love love it. No leaks yet. Noise is less than expected.

Eml626

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schlachetandlevy.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Trial Attorney
I came from a Camaro convertible and want to have the open air as much as possible. I wear a suit to work every day and park in a downtown garage that in addition to having theft issues also has a crumbling ceiling that is always dropping debris on my vehicle. Once the Jeep made the power top option it gave me a functional vehicle that I could drive year round. With the Camaro I always had to have a winter car as well and now I don't. The hard top is too much of a hassle as much as I like to remove the top. The soft top would have me while in dress clothing putting the top up every day when I get to work and taking it down every evening when I leave. If I simply left the rear windows out then theft would have been an additional concern. The power top could not be easier.

Since getting the power top I have driven through a torrential downpour with no leaks and the sound is actually quiet. I have slowed down to 59 MPH on the freeway to open and close the top due to rain or even to adjust how much the top was open when the kids wanted their portion closed or if they were taking a nap. I could not do that in my convertible. Not only is this the most functional Jeep I have ever owned it might actually be the most functional vehicle I have ever owned period! Go with the power top, you will not regret it.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I was pretty set on the dual top. I sat in a sky one touch and I was just floored. I hate the sun but love the wind.

Soft top: pros. Safari mode. Easy to close on the go. Cons. Rear window makes the cargo area a pain, no rear defrost or wiper. Acrylic windows scratch, and security. I leave my gaming rig in my trunk all the time. That 4K of easy to steal electronics. Lastly roof op tenting out.

Hard top. Pros. Option for rhino backbone. Glass back and access to cargo area. Cons. Removing is a pain, storage, if you leave it home and it rains you’re screwed. If the sun is right overhead and it’s home you’re burnt.

Sky. Pros. Can do anything the others can do including a roof rack now that gobi makes a compatible one.

Only con in my eyes is price and reliability. Price I can do. Reliability is my only concern but seems like people have been doing well with theirs.
Sponsored