Sky One-Touch roof tear and puncture hole - repair ideas / help needed

Robandjen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
We have a Jeep Wrangler with the new Sky One-touch convertible roof. I researched that the canvas is made out of 3 parts/layers, so I believe the outer most layer is twill. The apartment building I am currently living in has a gate for the garage and the gate closed on top of my jeep as I was driving through it. The gate skid across my entire canvas top resulting in tears and a puncture hole.
Can someone please recommend a good way to fix these damages? Maybe a patch up kit or a repair kit for the top of the canvas roof. The roof is still fully functional and is still 100% waterproof :)
Would you try to fix this yourself or take the car into a car upholstery repair shop?
Please see below of the pictures of the damages.
The first image show the most damages and show a long tear with the punture hole towards the bottom of the tear. *This is my biggest worry, with regular wear and tear I am afraid that this tear may get bigger with time. How would you patch and repair this tear?
IMG_5722.JPG

Here are some more pictures of the roof:
IMG_5724.JPG
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Robandjen

Bestop, recommends Bondex Iron On Patches for repair of holes, etc. in their Twill, Sunrider.
They say iron on the patches to the inside of the top and to carefully follow Bondex's instructions regarding the iron on's.

OP
OP
Robandjen

Robandjen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
So the issue with that would be that the damage is right on the front of the roof (the part that has the heavy solid moving strip which doesn't allow me to see the bottom of the twill canvas.

So the front part of the roof will need to be patched up only with by a means of direct application.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If this were mine, I would look for a Marine application brush -on sealant that would seal that small hole, and the cut fibers in the twill material. Marine products are UV resistant ; if you have already applied a "303" type treatment, adhesion might not be as good.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I really want a Rubicon with this roof, but I might get the hard top instead..

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I sure hope the apartment community's insurance is covering an entire replacement top and you're only looking for a temporary fix. Sorry I don't have a helpful solution.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
It may be covered by your auto insurance. You might pay the deductible and get the top replaced at the dealership.

OP
OP
Robandjen

Robandjen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2020
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I do not want to go the auto insurance route because its not a super bad damage and does not leak. I also do not want my insurance rate to go up.

As far as the apartment managemnt is concerned they do not want to do anything to help or take responsibility. They basically said that I tried to bet the gate and thats the end of story. So i do not want to go anymore involved with management.

I was just hoping to see if anyone had similar experience with minor scratches and tears in their new sky one touch?

Sponsored

First Name
Charles Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 keep gladiator and 2014 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Can the fabric part be replaced all together.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on how long ago this happened, I would force the management to produce a video proving you tried to beat the gate... Another easy solution is to get a police officer to come out and give him a written statement, then go to them, then they will pay for it...

Right now they just think you are trying to get something fixed for free, a police report will prove that you have a legitimate complaint.
Sponsored