Sponsored

Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts!

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Do you have a picture to Show exactly where it’s coming from? I haven’t been able to trouble shoot mine. It rattles at the passenger front with the top closed and open and only rattles on the driver’s front with the top open. Going on 1.5 yrs with it and they haven’t figured it out at the dealer.
Wondering if this is wear that will happen to all of them.
Sponsored

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
Wondering if this is wear that will happen to all of them.
That’s not what my rattle sounds like. Mine is more like the metal rails slapping against the fiberglass shell. Similar to a plastic ruler tapping on a desk. It comes from the rail area and is independent from the top being closed or open, the sound is still from the front areas.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
So the sun and sound package looks amazing, and I want to add it to my JLU Willys build, but is it worth it long term? I'm afraid it won't do well 10 years down the line in the elements. Thoughts?

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Mine squeaks and rattles like crazy. It sounds like there is a styrofoam cooler in the back of my Jeep. I figured it's because of my Falcon shocks, they ride a little rough...

Eventually I'll probably replace the one-touch roof with a regular hard or soft top.

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
Mine squeaks and rattles like crazy. It sounds like there is a styrofoam cooler in the back of my Jeep. I figured it's because of my Falcon shocks, they ride a little rough...

Eventually I'll probably replace the one-touch roof with a regular hard or soft top.
My rear window latches sounded like that. Once it was replaced, the sound was gone. To diagnose it, I had my son sit in back and unlatch it when it was making the noise. Then it stopped. After relatching them, the sound came back but it wasn’t immediate. I then did that with the dealership.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
So the sun and sound package looks amazing, and I want to add it to my JLU Willys build, but is it worth it long term? I'm afraid it won't do well 10 years down the line in the elements. Thoughts?
Enjoy it while it is cool, fix it under warranty if an issue arises, and replace it when it can no longer be repaired. I'm sure there will be more aftermarket tops out by then.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I used this stuff

TapeCase - 1-5-423-5 423-5 UHMW Tape Roll 1 in. (W) x 15 ft. (L) - Abrasion Resistant High Tack Acrylic Adhesive. Sealants and Tapes

by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JF0S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EE5DX44VQX4EGXKCXP9B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I put this tape along the upper edge of the tailgate where it meets the rubber seal of the rear window and it seems to have done the trick. The "styrofoam cooler" squeaks are now gone!

However, I can now hear some rattles coming from above the rear passenger seat. :headbang: Could be the rear side window latches everyone has mentioned...

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
Tip....silicone attracts dirt and dust, which will eventually lead to more rattles. Instead use furniture polish, something like pledge, which repels dust. Mine was "ticking" above the passenger side frame rail. Sprayed it with pledge 3 weeks ago and so far so good!

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
I found a fix, will post pictures later, but I bought a hard plastic wedge and wedged it in between the SOT and roll bar and sounds are all gone

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
So once spring comes along I’ll get something that you can’t really see but for now this stopped all my noise, a hard plastic wedge.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts! 795540BC-935A-40CC-B2F2-9AA797160554

Sponsored

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
So once spring comes along I’ll get something that you can’t really see but for now this stopped all my noise, a hard plastic wedge.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts! 795540BC-935A-40CC-B2F2-9AA797160554
The cleaner fix is to loosen the two screws underneath that black pillar and pry open some separation between the black piece and the white frame. It’s a tight fit, but you then insert some cloth tape of some sort at that location where you have the wedge, and another location towards the front where there is another direct connection of the black and white pieces (I used thick cloth duct tape, black so as to blend in with the black pillar). That took care of my rattling.

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
I tried the cloth tape method and it did not work for me at all. This is the only thing I’ve found to work lol

The cleaner fix is to loosen the two screws underneath that black pillar and pry open some separation between the black piece and the white frame. It’s a tight fit, but you then insert some cloth tape of some sort at that location where you have the wedge, and another location towards the front where there is another direct connection of the black and white pieces (I used thick cloth duct tape, black so as to blend in with the black pillar). That took care of my rattling.

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
I’ve owned my 2018 JLUR since October of 21, and the rattling has been driving me NUTS! I thought it was coming from the plastic trim around the sky top and roll bar, or the side plastic pieces between the doors. I used some closed cell foam tape to try to silence the rattles, with basically no luck. Yesterday, my daughter was riding in the back seat, and I asked her to touch various pieces of trim to isolate the rattle. It turned out to be the latches on the rear side window panels. That led me to searching the Forum and finding this thread. I read this entire thread, searching for good solutions. Well, I took four pieces of my foam tape (about 1/8” thick), and stuck I’d on the metal plate where the spring-loaded plunger rides. I depressed the plungers, as I closed the latches, to prevent the tape from being scraped off, so that when I released the plungers, they compressed the foam tape nicely. Much to my delight and amazement, the rattles are 99% gone! The difference is truly incredible! I hope the solution is long-lasting, but if I need to replace the foam once in a while, I’ll be happy to do so!

John

JPfun21

First Name
William hall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
Hey I have a 21 with about 15 thousand miles on just got it. It has the one touch. I have this rattle/ sounds like styrofoam while driving with top open or closed and with the back windows in or out anything I can try before I call the dealer ?
Sponsored