Sponsored

Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts!

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I had issues with the selling dealer not confirming problems with the Wrangler. Turns out their service drive was only 6 minutes long, at low speed on smooth roads.

I wish they would allow me to ride along to show the tech when problems occur. Like highway speed for steering issues....
Dave
What is their reason you can't ride with them ?
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
First--I'm in Canada. So Jeep Canada is a different company. When I escalated my problem to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care things happened. It helped that I had talked here to @JeepCares
Second--The first dealer claims insurance won't allow it. We found another dealer that does service work really well. I'm really pleased. They changed the steering gear.
However, now with Covid going on it makes no sense to ride with someone I don't know. We've been locked down--again--and there are really restrictions on what we can do.

I'm grateful that the steering gear was replaced. Next time the Jeep is in for Service I shall get proof that the software was upgraded. It's shown on the work order as complete. I can't hear the power steering pump running, and that was suggested here as proof that the upgrade wasn't done.

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I had issues with the selling dealer not confirming problems with the Wrangler. Turns out their service drive was only 6 minutes long, at low speed on smooth roads.

I wish they would allow me to ride along to show the tech when problems occur. Like highway speed for steering issues....
Dave
Yes!! It happened when going over bumps and certain speeds! And not during smooth driving!

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Try some wd-40 in the pin and push it in and put several times to work it in- that or silicon lubricant spray. I did that to mine and it went away
Well, the latch seems to be the issue. I have the Teflon tape, but I had my son in latch the window while the noise was going on. Immediately after he unlocked it, the noise stopped. It stayed away for a bit and then returned. I unlocked/locked it again and the noise stopped for a bit then returned. Looks like the latch to me! Thanks for the input MoJoJoJoJeep!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes!! It happened when going over bumps and certain speeds! And not during smooth driving!
Had a friend who had been a Mercedes dealer.
He suggested for rattles and wind leaks to take liquid glycerine (bought it at a drug store) and apply a bit to rubber seals on doors and such.
I've done it ever since. It really works.
He said that silicone might attack rubber. Glicerine was better.

Sponsored

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
On the previous 19 Rubi, I fixed the rattle with felt tape and also not allowing the latch to fully seat/lock all the way (by adding some foam stopper). Noticed on the new 4XE, Jeep has added the Teflon tape and that seems to keep the noise away.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They won't allow a passenger. Claim their insurance won't allow it.

Neither dealer we use has allowed it. Toronto Canada.

this happened with each service appointment. Last case was the service appointment required to set up the steering gear replacement. Gave them a copy of the tsb. Highlighted. Declared that we had the problems described. They said no. Said they took a brand new Wrangler out and drove it. It was the same. It was a Jeep thing.

@JeepCares was exceptional. They referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. They really helped. Yes. The steering gear was changed. Good thing. The Wrangler was unsafe. It's so much better with the new steering gear. (I told the selling dealer the day we picked it up that the Jeep was unsafe, and the steering gear needed to be adjusted. They said it was A Jeep Thing.)

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2021 JLUR has just developed this rattling squeak a few days ago. It seems to come from above the front passenger seat. If the Sky Top is open, there is no squeak. If it is closed, it squeaks frequently.

My wife tried pressing against the rails from inside, and it seemed to help while she applied pressure, but the squeak returned thereafter.

Any ideas? I can try foam, felt, etc.

croanie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
Hey all, so the factory fix for the rattle in the back glass panels was the clear plastic tape seen in the first picture below, though I’m asking the dealer for a more permanent fix since these are peeling off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts! A3548E93-CCCE-4E2F-8685-EB6804022239

Last edited:

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
An update: we narrowed our squeak down to the rail above the front passenger window.

I stuck in three shims from an unrelated project and the squeak stops almost completely.

The shims are in the gap between the white plastic and the metal rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts! 34B61727-70F3-4271-B4D4-AF489B696615

Sponsored

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hi,
Here is how I got rid of my squeaky noise while driving on any road.
The squeaks (sounds like mice) were coming from my driver side rear removable panel. The Passenger one makes NO noise.

I inspected the pegs and one seems a bit bent. so i used TWO T30 torx (one for top and one for bottom) and removed both pegs. I then swapped the back peg with the front peg and hand tighten them back.

I put the panel back and went for a drive. NO noise and I have not heard the noise again for over 4 days so far.

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
Another update: I removed the shims and carefully sprayed WD-40 into the gap between the white plastic and the black metal rail.

The squeak is gone completely!
Thanks for the tip! It worked for me too, at least for now. Has yours stayed gone?

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Anyone have a loud rattle when the top is fully open?

It seems like its the linkage assembly near the front header of the top. When the top is open, there is no load on the linkage and the pin in the track ,and all that slop has started to make it rattle louder than the wind noise.

Mine is a bit over two years only and just started doing this. If I tap on it when it is fully open I can confirm the source, but does not look like i can really do anything about it.

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
Anyone have a loud rattle when the top is fully open?

It seems like its the linkage assembly near the front header of the top. When the top is open, there is no load on the linkage and the pin in the track ,and all that slop has started to make it rattle louder than the wind noise.

Mine is a bit over two years only and just started doing this. If I tap on it when it is fully open I can confirm the source, but does not look like i can really do anything about it.
Do you have a picture to Show exactly where it’s coming from? I haven’t been able to trouble shoot mine. It rattles at the passenger front with the top closed and open and only rattles on the driver’s front with the top open. Going on 1.5 yrs with it and they haven’t figured it out at the dealer.
Sponsored