When do you open the top?

• Total voters

dima24

First Name
Dima
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I have heard it's not recommended.
"Not Recommended" is my middle name :)

In all seriousness, this is my first Jeep and I accidentally got the One-Touch Top and I LOVE it. At the same time, in the summer, I think it would be cool to take the whole thing off so I may try that. It looks like the major difference is the cables on the One-Touch are fixed and there are no quick disconnects, so I'll have to add those in. Other than that, it should be do-able.
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
"Not Recommended" is my middle name :)

In all seriousness, this is my first Jeep and I accidentally got the One-Touch Top and I LOVE it. At the same time, in the summer, I think it would be cool to take the whole thing off so I may try that. It looks like the major difference is the cables on the One-Touch are fixed and there are no quick disconnects, so I'll have to add those in. Other than that, it should be do-able.
You are brave !!!! Putting back on will be getting the alignment correct to seal etc. GOOD luck Dude !!! I don't know how you could accidentally get the Sky One Top ???? I am new Jeep owner and it was the Sky One Top that swayed me to take mine that I was staring at on the Showroom floor that day waiting for oil change on my Ram. I can see since you live in LA you could go Topless all the time with your limited rain fall. In Texas the 100 degree temp with 110 Heat index makes it hard to do that. I am loving Fall and Winter to come going Topless more. :like: :jk:

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Agreed. If I only have the sunrider back it's easy to close at a red light or pulling over for 10sec. And you can pull out all the other windows. I couldn't justify spending that much on the power top with no real added benefit. Maybe if all the windows went down with one touch.
Donā€™t knock it until you try it. Yes expensive. Yes well worth it for me.

dima24

First Name
Dima
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are brave !!!! Putting back on will be getting the alignment correct to seal etc. GOOD luck Dude !!! I don't know how you could accidentally get the Sky One Top ???? I am new Jeep owner and it was the Sky One Top that swayed me to take mine that I was staring at on the Showroom floor that day waiting for oil change on my Ram. I can see since you live in LA you could go Topless all the time with your limited rain fall. In Texas the 100 degree temp with 110 Heat index makes it hard to do that. I am loving Fall and Winter to come going Topless more. :like: :jk:
I meant "accidentally" as in I wasn't specifically looking for it. There were a bunch of options I wanted, and I didn't want to custom order, so I found the right Jeep locally that had all of those options and it also had the One-Touch top. I got it and as I said, I really do love the top. Especially in LA where the weather is pretty much always nice enough to open it, I get a lot of use out of it. But with all of that said, I do love the look of the topless Jeep as well. I'm not sure that I'll actually take the whole thing off as it's very convenient this way, but it was just a thought.

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. If I only have the sunrider back it's easy to close at a red light or pulling over for 10sec. And you can pull out all the other windows. I couldn't justify spending that much on the power top with no real added benefit. Maybe if all the windows went down with one touch.
Lol! So itā€™s worth $4k if you donā€™t have to manually put the windows down, and by manually I mean pressing the button. But if you have have to press all 4 buttons, NO DEAL!

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I just ordered one. If it goes down Iā€™d imagine it will happen during warranty. If it breaks after and itā€™s a mess then can always remove and junk it to buy a hardtop or soft top.

Iā€™m hoping it will be okay. Doesnā€™t seem to be major issues in the two years theyā€™ve had it out.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
There are PLENTY of added benefits and all the windows down with one touch isn't something it needs.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Well took my Jeep to the garage yesterday and they didn't call to say they fixed it. So I call this morning and they say they have to take pictures and send them in to the factory to see what they want them to do. He says the factory is slow about getting back most of the time but they will expidite it. I was hoping this would be an easy fix like an adjustment. Obviously not. They wanted to know if I wanted to come and get it and I could be driving it. I told them not now, it's raining and there is about a 1" gap that will let the rain in. I asked them if it was sitting inside. He didn't know. I might have to go get it so it is in my garage staying dry. I'm guessing buying the top was a mistake since I had hoped this was a long term Jeep ownership thing I was getting into and not I have no confidence in the integrity of the top and its durability. I doubt this thing is around after the warranty goes off. It's a shame they depreciate some much the first year or it would be gone soon.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Well took my Jeep to the garage yesterday and they didn't call to say they fixed it. So I call this morning and they say they have to take pictures and send them in to see what they want them to d. He says the factory is slow about getting back most of the time but they will expidite it. Wanted to know if I wanted to come and get it and be driving it. I told them not now, it's raining and there is about a 1" gap that will let the rain in. I'm guessing the top was a mistake since I had hoped this was a long term Jeep ownership thing I was getting into. I doubt this thing is around after the warranty goes off. It's a shame they depreciate some much the first year or it would be gone soon. I had hoped it was an easy fix.
Deep breath. Sounds like for lost folks they are fine. The top fabric is the same as the premium soft.

Hope they get it fixed for you and this ends up just being a shitty memory.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
It's got 13,000 miles on it. The strap that runs along the right side seems loose and doesn't pull the top down snug to the rail it sits on. Looks like it should be easy, but the fact that it is not leaves me doubting the design. Oh, and I was one of those "most people" that didn't have any problem....until I did

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well took my Jeep to the garage yesterday and they didn't call to say they fixed it. So I call this morning and they say they have to take pictures and send them in to the factory to see what they want them to do. He says the factory is slow about getting back most of the time but they will expidite it. I was hoping this would be an easy fix like an adjustment. Obviously not. They wanted to know if I wanted to come and get it and I could be driving it. I told them not now, it's raining and there is about a 1" gap that will let the rain in. I asked them if it was sitting inside. He didn't know. I might have to go get it so it is in my garage staying dry. I'm guessing buying the top was a mistake since I had hoped this was a long term Jeep ownership thing I was getting into and not I have no confidence in the integrity of the top and its durability. I doubt this thing is around after the warranty goes off. It's a shame they depreciate some much the first year or it would be gone soon.
Hi Joe,
If any additional assistance is needed while working with your dealer, please feel free to reach out to us via PM.
Alex
JeepCares

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Joe,
If any additional assistance is needed while working with your dealer, please feel free to reach out to us via PM.
Alex
JeepCares
Thanks. They called and said they had parts on order that should be in next Wednesday. I just hope they take me in when the parts come. Last time they ordered parts my appointment was 30 days later and by that time they sent the parts back at the request of Jeep. We will see.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Thanks. They called and said they had parts on order that should be in next Wednesday. I just hope they take me in when the parts come. Last time they ordered parts my appointment was 30 days later and by that time they sent the parts back at the request of Jeep. We will see.
Also know your state lemon laws. In Ohio if the car is out of service for repairs for 30 days for any reason in the first year itā€™s a buy back. your state will vary.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Joe,
Thank you for the update! We're here to help if needed.
Alex
JeepCares

Donack31

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Lol! So itā€™s worth $4k if you donā€™t have to manually put the windows down, and by manually I mean pressing the button. But if you have have to press all 4 buttons, NO DEAL!
In the trunk area. Not the front and back passenger windows.
Sponsored