First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I open it all the time. Its really a great feature. But I don't like an open top on the freeway, so I close it while getting on the on ramp. You can't do that with any of the other open top options, so this means I can enjoy the open air many more times than I would be able to if I had to stop and remove things, or stop and put them back on. Not to mention trying to store the parts...

So color me I totally love it, well worth the wait and the expense!!

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I open it all the time. Its really a great feature. But I don't like an open top on the freeway, so I close it while getting on the on ramp. You can't do that with any of the other open top options, so this means I can enjoy the open air many more times than I would be able to if I had to stop and remove things, or stop and put them back on. Not to mention trying to store the parts...

So color me I totally love it, well worth the wait and the expense!!
I get you having to stop to open the soft top. But what do you have to remove to make it just as open as your power top. That top belongs on a fiat car. WTF good is it when the back window won't come off.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As it turns out, when you’re driving it does not matter that the back window stays on. I suppose it does seem strange, but in practice it’s fine. Don’t really need to take off the back side windows or even the rear doors either. Taking off the front doors, tool the top back and it’s a pretty full open air experience - which is what I wanted. And as others have said, the top is open a lot more when you don’t have to worry about rain or some other reason why you couldn’t go topless...

Someone else pointed out that most of the complaints from people about the sky one touch are from people that don’t have it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sky One Touch JLU on order so maybe I’m not qualified for this pole. However I do currently have a 17 JK with a soft top April-October. I LOVE the open air concept but it has to be a comfortable temperature. 68 degrees (and that can sometimes be a little chilly on the highway) to about 83 degrees then it’s a/c time. In that temperature range with no rain threat, every time I drive the car! Even if it’s only a mile to the store.

Sponsored

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have a Sky One Touch JLU on order so maybe I’m not qualified for this pole. However I do currently have a 17 JK with a soft top April-October. I LOVE the open air concept but it has to be a comfortable temperature. 68 degrees (and that can sometimes be a little chilly on the highway) to about 83 degrees then it’s a/c time. In that temperature range with no rain threat, every time I drive the car! Even if it’s only a mile to the store.
You'll love the sky one roof. You can control air flow and enjoy the sky. I call it my bucket of sun.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Sky one touch is the best of all the roof options, you can enjoy the open air anytime the conditions are good even if it’s only for a minute or a mile. No planning. No missed enjoyment!

Magiaone

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F250
@Bubba33 - have you ever tried and driven one? Seems like personal preference of someone that thinks all Jeep’s need to have canvas tops (or none) and drive off-road to the office on 37s instead of a lot of folks who enjoy the concept and look of a Jeep and the amenities it provides.

From your profile pic it looks like you have the hard top? Why? Don’t hard tops belong only on prissy BMW and MBC convertibles.

My wife drives hers in Texas and the roof is back at every chance she can get. Side windows can come out and store in a bag. Roof goes back in one touch and when it pours we can roll the roof right back in place, without stopping. That to me and the ease of use was worth the $4K option than the base canvas cover or hard top option.

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I started just like you with a 2014 JKU with dual tops. Now that I have the Sky One-Touch, I discovered on cold drives, I just open the top, and leave the windows in the full upright position. I will turn on the seat warmers when neccesary.
No Jeep is perfect for everyone and I do miss the totally naked Jeep experience. However, it rained 43 percent of the days this year and the rain threat was far worse.
I am obsessed about driving with the wind in my face and the sun on my shoulders. I bet - I have had the top down 175 days out of the last 186 days this year. If I stoll had a any of my other Wrangler tops I would have had the top down as much as 100 days. This has liberated me in ways I never imagined.
I wish Jeep the marketining team would let me write their commercials for the Sky One Touch Power Top.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I started just like you with a 2014 JKU with dual tops. Now that I have the Sky One-Touch, I discovered on cold drives, I just open the top, and leave the windows in the full upright position. I will turn on the seat warmers when neccesary.
No Jeep is perfect for everyone and I do miss the totally naked Jeep experience. However, it rained 43 percent of the days this year and the rain threat was far worse.
I am obsessed about driving with the wind in my face and the sun on my shoulders. I bet - I have had the top down 175 days out of the last 186 days this year. If I stoll had a any of my other Wrangler tops I would have had the top down as much as 100 days. This has liberated me in ways I never imagined.
I wish Jeep the marketining team would let me write their commercials for the Sky One Touch Power Top.
Thanks for the info Greg, now I'm even more pumped for my One Touch. Like you I open up whenever I can despite the wife complaining about her hair. To me that wind experience is almost like being on a roller coaster. One question though, I do occasionally take the doors off too. Why do you feel you don't get that full naked Jeep experience? I know you have that body color track around the Jeep but isn't it similar to the roll bar on the JK?

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
It is mostly an external look thing. Or... when you look in the rear view mirror. You and everyone else knows there is still a top structure.
The 66 Willy's Jeep I used to drive didn't even have a roll bar and had a rear parade seat. The '66 was the closest feeling to driving a motorcycle.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I'll agree with many of the good folks here. I, too, find myself being able to have the wind in my hair more often than if I would have selected the freedom top. The convenience of being able to open/close at a moments notice is helpful. I generally open mine up on every trip through town. I only leave it open about one third of the time on the freeway. I like to maximize my day and use my drive time to make phone calls and connect with clients. At highway speeds, the phone calls are impractical with the top open, so I usually close it up on the on ramp, and then open back up when I get closer to my destination.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'll agree with many of the good folks here. I, too, find myself being able to have the wind in my hair more often than if I would have selected the freedom top. The convenience of being able to open/close at a moments notice is helpful. I generally open mine up on every trip through town. I only leave it open about one third of the time on the freeway. I like to maximize my day and use my drive time to make phone calls and connect with clients. At highway speeds, the phone calls are impractical with the top open, so I usually close it up on the on ramp, and then open back up when I get closer to my destination.
Excellent point Train, Iv’e yet to see someone bring up the one negative point about open tops. Phone calls on the highway are real hard to do. If I drive with my doors off I won’t even attempt it. I let all calls go to voicemail. Although I just found out my new JL is at the dealer so with the sky one touch things should be better in the phone call dept.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Excellent point Train, Iv’e yet to see someone bring up the one negative point about open tops. Phone calls on the highway are real hard to do. If I drive with my doors off I won’t even attempt it. I let all calls go to voicemail. Although I just found out my new JL is at the dealer so with the sky one touch things should be better in the phone call dept.
I find that with the windows up and the top open, phone calls are manageable at city speeds. They are completely out of the question at highway speeds, even with the windows closed.
Sponsored