Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 JLUS w/ one-touch top
Occupation
Logistician
Hi Roy,
I'm looking at a 2019 JLUR with the sky top. I was wondering how you make out clearing snow off of it and how the top is wearing. Hubby wants the Hard Top.
Thanks,
Catherine, Jamestown, RI
Just had a brief snow / freezing rain blast here in Virginia. I have a long handled brush from when I had a truck and the snow brushed off pretty easily. It warmed up enough on the drive home to open and there were no issues.
Sponsored

LearRigh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 JLUS w/ one-touch top
Occupation
Logistician
First Wrangler, but not first time driving a vehicle with no top or doors. I'm still driving on the first tank of gas from the dealer, and I've had the top open more than closed. I'm a pretty dour guy, but after opening the top for the first time I couldn't keep the grin off my face.
My wife thinks I'm crazy for having the top open and windows down below 30°, but with the heated seats and steering wheel I'm just enjoying the open air. Also fun to see the bewildered looks from hardtop wranglers when there's snow on the ground and my top is open.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First Wrangler, but not first time driving a vehicle with no top or doors. I'm still driving on the first tank of gas from the dealer, and I've had the top open more than closed. I'm a pretty dour guy, but after opening the top for the first time I couldn't keep the grin off my face.
My wife thinks I'm crazy for having the top open and windows down below 30°, but with the heated seats and steering wheel I'm just enjoying the open air. Also fun to see the bewildered looks from hardtop wranglers when there's snow on the ground and my top is open.
Yes, I get the stares too. My open Jeep record is 21 degrees. I see Jeeps closed up all winter long here. People look at me like I'm nuts with Jeep open. I love the cold so it's fine with me. We have now had the 2nd wettest first 2 months of the new year in 122 years so it's been raining a lot. I have new Half-doors waiting to use if it stops raining.

Looking.gif

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Just waiting patiently--sort of--to get to cast my vote. Should have mine in a week or two:)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I get the stares too. My open Jeep record is 21 degrees. I see Jeeps closed up all winter long here. People look at me like I'm nuts with Jeep open. I love the cold so it's fine with me. We have now had the 2nd wettest first 2 months of the new year in 122 years so it's been raining a lot. I have new Half-doors waiting to use if it stops raining.

Looking.gif
Hey Curtis, how's it going buddy? Thats to funny, When I read Sean's post above yours I was gonna tell him about you. I see you responded and found another participant for the Polar Jeep Club. Enjoy my pal and 5 more weeks to April then we can all join you guys. I can't freakin wait !

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Curtis, how's it going buddy? Thats to funny, When I read Sean's post above yours I was gonna tell him about you. I see you responded and found another participant for the Polar Jeep Club. Enjoy my pal and 5 more weeks to April then we can all join you guys. I can't freakin wait !
Hey Steve, its been so damn rainy :rain: last 2 months I can't get a good break to try my Half-doors yet. I hadn't thought of Polar Jeep Club but I like it !!! :LOL: Hope all is well. The Northeast has been low on snowfall this winter. March outlook my bring colder temps and snow. They say March might be new February. Never know now with Mother nature. 2nd wettest start of the year here in 122 years.

March.jpg

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I’ve had no issues with my top this winter, and other than one day where we had freezing rain and then snow over night, a snow brush gets it off easily.

This roof makes me grin like crazy. I also discovered if you accidentally bump the open button when driving to fast the dash tells you you’re going to fast, and won’t open.

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Sky one touch is the best of all the roof options, you can enjoy the open air anytime the conditions are good even if it’s only for a minute or a mile. No planning. No missed enjoyment!
Yeah I currently have the hard top and am trying to decide if I want to do the one touch next year. While I love my hard top I’ve yet to go totally topless in the 4 years I had my Jeep because of having to store the top and making sure there isn’t going to be any rain! I purchased the Sunrider for hardtop and love that I can just open and close it at a moments notice! I mean for me the reason I bought my Jeep was that open air feeling of the top open and the sun in my face!

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Yeah I currently have the hard top and am trying to decide if I want to do the one touch next year. While I love my hard top I’ve yet to go totally topless in the 4 years I had my Jeep because of having to store the top and making sure there isn’t going to be any rain! I purchased the Sunrider for hardtop and love that I can just open and close it at a moments notice! I mean for me the reason I bought my Jeep was that open air feeling of the top open and the sun in my face!
I wasn't sure about getting it. Thought about a roof rack and what if I had problems. Wife talked me into it. Best decision ever. You can lock your car up secure with the touch of a button. Don't like the sun mid drive, close it. Raining? Close it. I have mine open almost all the time, but if I park the jeep is secure and if it rains I'm fine. If the sun is beating on my kid I can close it halfway or maybe it's cooking me. Adjust as you drive. Go for it.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't sure about getting it. Thought about a roof rack and what if I had problems. Wife talked me into it. Best decision ever. You can lock your car up secure with the touch of a button. Don't like the sun mid drive, close it. Raining? Close it. I have mine open almost all the time, but if I park the jeep is secure and if it rains I'm fine. If the sun is beating on my kid I can close it halfway or maybe it's cooking me. Adjust as you drive. Go for it.
Wish I could give you 10 thumbs up for that post George.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

All of this! I’ve had mine open since March. The few times I’ve closed it when driving, I can count on one hand. Almost all of them were rainy days.

Last edited:

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I have a hard top and love the look of the Jeep when the top is completely removed. Almost looks and feels like you're driving a street legal dune buggy.

But I only get to remove it maybe 5 or 6 times a a year here in the rainy south with the pop up storms and such. Also even when there's no threat of rain, it still may be too hot to remove it.

It's because of this, that I may get the SOT in my next Wrangler (that is, if I'm still able to afford 1 with the way they are going up in price). I sort of feel like I'll be a sell out, lol. But I really want to be able to enjoy the topless experience dozens of times a year instead of the handful of times I currently experience it.

I know the SOT doesn't give the same dune buggy look and I'll miss that. But it may be worth the trade off to actually have the sun overhead countless times with the SOT top rolled back.

I've even thought about having my current Jeep converted to an SOT.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
In SW FL, I open it most winter days. In summer when it hits 95 with 60% humidity, I open it on bad weather days between showers and storms, as it typically drops to the mid 70s while raining. I will open it during sprinkles during that time too. I also open at night during the summer. My general cutoff is anytime above 85 I close it.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR