Sponsored

Sky One-Touch Power Roof owners - would you get it again?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got it thanks for the clarification I've got a bottle in the garage just haven't looked at it yet plan on trying it today.
It says to do it in sunlight. Warms the top
Sponsored

ekuenzli

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubi
I just installed t

just installed as well. It’s a tad quieter inside but definitely cooler with it sitting in the Florida sun. Heat use to radiate off my bald head even w the ac blasting. Now w the headliner it’s almost cool to the touch after a couple of mins w the ac on.

As far as the roof I also have a small rattle in the track when open on the drivers side. Plan on taking it to get looked at soon. Other then that I open the roof everyday and would buy again.
Hello, did you get a response on the rattle. I just picked mine up a week ago and I have a rattle on the driver side when open. Thx.

Mroliver927

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
Only 2 months with mine and I open and close it pretty much every time I take it out. No issues at all. Additionally drove thru a huge downpour and high winds. No leaks anywhere and the rains was coming at the Wrangler from all directions. Pretty satisfied so far.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my SOT fiasco. In our last adventure, my SOT got FUBAR'ed and needed complete replacement. The aluminum rails got scarred and the top would not close when opened. It took a couple Jeep mechanics and myself to close it the last time it was opened.

The primary cause was mud/gravel getting past the top and lodging in the rails that the top slides back and forward on. Then when you open/close it, it scars the rails and eventually it won't work. The main mechanic also looked at my jeep and noted that all the flexing i was doing on trails was probably not so great on the function either. Who me? LOL

After some fighting with the warranty company, my jeep had 70K when i brought it in, and schmoozing with the adjuster they agreed to cover the entire replacement. The cost was well over $5K. I think it would cost less now because MOPAR has a part for the entire top, rails included.

Summary: I still love the SOT, but not as much as i previously did. I hate mud and steer clear of it when i can but my jeep is a work vehicle and I can't help but get deep into it sometimes. I pressure washed my jeep hours after getting it muddy but it didn't help. I'm certain that was the cause.

I will probably not get the SOT again because of how I use my jeep and would not recommend it to someone who wheels pretty hard. But if you're not running too hard it's a great accessory.

SIde note: All this crap about not taking your SOT off/on is BS. It took about 30 mins to remove and an hour to replace. No problem at all.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
SIde note: All this crap about not taking your SOT off/on is BS. It took about 30 mins to remove and an hour to replace. No problem at all.
X2 on the removal, mine is hanging in my storage right now and I have the softtop on now that it is sub 100’s!

info: you will need to remove the locator pins and striker brackets in the front to clear the softtop, and of course you will need the targa brackets (the bracket the top latches to).
Gregj

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Update on my SOT fiasco. In our last adventure, my SOT got FUBAR'ed and needed complete replacement. The aluminum rails got scarred and the top would not close when opened. It took a couple Jeep mechanics and myself to close it the last time it was opened.

The primary cause was mud/gravel getting past the top and lodging in the rails that the top slides back and forward on. Then when you open/close it, it scars the rails and eventually it won't work. The main mechanic also looked at my jeep and noted that all the flexing i was doing on trails was probably not so great on the function either. Who me? LOL

After some fighting with the warranty company, my jeep had 70K when i brought it in, and schmoozing with the adjuster they agreed to cover the entire replacement. The cost was well over $5K. I think it would cost less now because MOPAR has a part for the entire top, rails included.

Summary: I still love the SOT, but not as much as i previously did. I hate mud and steer clear of it when i can but my jeep is a work vehicle and I can't help but get deep into it sometimes. I pressure washed my jeep hours after getting it muddy but it didn't help. I'm certain that was the cause.

I will probably not get the SOT again because of how I use my jeep and would not recommend it to someone who wheels pretty hard. But if you're not running too hard it's a great accessory.

Good information to know. Thank you for posting your experience.

Also good to know about the top R&R. Hopefully someone will post a video of the procedure sometime.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
X2 on the removal, mine is hanging in my storage right now and I have the softtop on now that it is sub 100’s!

info: you will need to remove the locator pins and stricter brackets in the front to clear the softtop, and of course you will need the targa brackets (the bracket the top latches to).
Gregj
SO cool that you posted that, I have recently procured a new soft top for my jeep in case another mishap occurs. What additional parts do you need? Targa brackets? And do you need to replace the trim panel that houses the SOT buttons? It looks like it would be in the way.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SO cool that you posted that, I have recently procured a new soft top for my jeep in case another mishap occurs. What additional parts do you need? Targa brackets? And do you need to replace the trim panel that houses the SOT buttons? It looks like it would be in the way.
The SOT header panel doesn’t have the cutout for the targa brackets so either cut the header or replace it with one that does. I added the SOT switch to my existing panel, I did have to remove the left side freedom panel latch above the mirror as it and the switch want to occupy the same space.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you bought a dual top softtop the kit will have everything except the targa brackets and bolts for them.
Gregj

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
If you bought a dual top softtop the kit will have everything except the targa brackets and bolts for them.
Gregj
I actually scored the soft-top for free from the dealership. They had 5 of them out back from where the owners who purchased the dual top group never came back for the soft top portion. I was in the right place at the right time. Mine is from 2018. I haven't looked in the parts box yet.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually scored the soft-top for free from the dealership. They had 5 of them out back from where the owners who purchased the dual top group never came back for the soft top portion. I was in the right place at the right time. Mine is from 2018. I haven't looked in the parts box yet.
Nice score! You will just need the brackets and bolts then.
Gregj

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Can you buy one after the fact? My Sport came with the hardtop, I purchased a soft top but would love the SOT if possible
Indeed it is possible. Today I traded my hardtop for an SOT. Install was straight forward. Then 2 hours later it poured for hours. No leaks. I can send you all of the info for install if needed. It took us 1 hour total. That included removal and install.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Indeed it is possible. Today I traded my hardtop for an SOT. Install was straight forward. Then 2 hours later it poured for hours. No leaks. I can send you all of the info for install if needed. It took us 1 hour total. That included removal and install.
How did you wire it?
Sponsored