Sponsored

Sky One-Touch Power Roof owners - would you get it again?

CPO Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, Black w/red
I just got my Rubicon with the SOT last week. So far I like the concept.
I don't have to worry about fighting to clip in the ragtop and I don't have to worry about taking off the hardtop by myself. I can still go topless and with the rear panel windows off and all the windows down, well its the best of both worlds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Agree. I'm right there with you on the same thought.

After owning a previous soft top I will never go back to that. And a complete hard top is far less flexible.

I just got my Rubicon with the SOT last week. So far I like the concept.
I don't have to worry about fighting to clip in the ragtop and I don't have to worry about taking off the hardtop by myself. I can still go topless and with the rear panel windows off and all the windows down, well its the best of both worlds.

CPO Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That liner looks great. I agree with you for the $K top, a $200 liner would have been nice

CPO Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the rear side windows can be removed easily. The top rails always remain which doesn’t get a One Touch quite as “”naked” as a Jeep without SOT. 99% One Touch owners will tell you (including me) we’ll tolerate that permanent rail for the convenience of opening the roof at the touch of a button.

Absolutely. With the doors off, the panels off and the top open, the rails have the feeling of a roll bar.

CPO Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had my SOT since Jan of 2019 and I love it, but you better get the extended warranty. The roof moving back and forth during this time wore some grooves into the aluminum rails up top and caused havoc. Screwed up the latches and the slave motor, etc. Price to repair.....$3,900 in parts. With labor probably about $5k.
YIKES Thats a whole lot of hurt there. What had to be done. Replace the rails?

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
YIKES Thats a whole lot of hurt there. What had to be done. Replace the rails?
The drivers side rail is the primary cause, but as with many mechanical problems it caused failures with other parts. And to be honest I'm not even sure what you call everything. The slave motor also needs to be replaced, the latches...all kind of shit.

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
For clarity, I have the "First Mile" warranty with Total Warranty Services. When you read the pamphlet that they give you it has a section on exceptions, convertibles are not mentioned there. But if you read the actual warranty, because nobody, on Page 4, Item C it lists as exceptions "Vinyl and convertible tops" and "convertible top frameworks". I would advise everyone to review their warranty.

Now we can conclude from the doc that "vinyl and convertible tops" are the actual fabric. That is not the issue here, so we'll drop that point. What TWS is saying is that every other part of the SOT falls under "convertible top framework". I am arguing with minimal effectiveness, that the motor and rails and shit do not fall under "framework". Under the traditional nomenclature of convertibles, the framework would be the black folding frame that the fabric attaches. But they are assholes looking to deny every claim, so they have a much broader definition.

I think it really comes down to money, duh. If the claim was a few hundred bucks it probably would not have been an issue.

I will fight the good fight and update this thread when some new shit comes to light.
That sucks Stormin. Hope you give'em hell. Thanks for sharing this info - i'm sure others found it useful too. Just to confirm, are you outside your regular non-extended warranty? Do you know if SOT would have been covered under it?

Curious - Anyone else with 2019 SOT owners running out of regular warranty and having powertop issues? I was thinking of trading my 2020 hardtop for a SOT but this is making me think twice. (I have a bestop sunrider which is pretty nice but I always secretly envy SOTs that pass by. I have no issues with sunrider, love the black hardtop, and only have one regret - that i should have waited for the SOT.)

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
For clarity, I have the "First Mile" warranty with Total Warranty Services. When you read the pamphlet that they give you it has a section on exceptions, convertibles are not mentioned there. But if you read the actual warranty, because nobody, on Page 4, Item C it lists as exceptions "Vinyl and convertible tops" and "convertible top frameworks". I would advise everyone to review their warranty.

Now we can conclude from the doc that "vinyl and convertible tops" are the actual fabric. That is not the issue here, so we'll drop that point. What TWS is saying is that every other part of the SOT falls under "convertible top framework". I am arguing with minimal effectiveness, that the motor and rails and shit do not fall under "framework". Under the traditional nomenclature of convertibles, the framework would be the black folding frame that the fabric attaches. But they are assholes looking to deny every claim, so they have a much broader definition.

I think it really comes down to money, duh. If the claim was a few hundred bucks it probably would not have been an issue.

I will fight the good fight and update this thread when some new shit comes to light.
Ahh, thanks for clarifying who the warranty is by. It looks like the Mopar warranty does appear to exclude convertible top fabric, but does cover:
  • Convertible Top Cylinders, Lines And Hinges
  • Convertible Top Frame, Bows And Rails

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks Stormin. Hope you give'em hell. Thanks for sharing this info - i'm sure others found it useful too. Just to confirm, are you outside your regular non-extended warranty? Do you know if SOT would have been covered under it?

Curious - Anyone else with 2019 SOT owners running out of regular warranty and having powertop issues? I was thinking of trading my 2020 hardtop for a SOT but this is making me think twice. (I have a bestop sunrider which is pretty nice but I always secretly envy SOTs that pass by. I have no issues with sunrider, love the black hardtop, and only have one regret - that i should have waited for the SOT.)
Yes, I'm on the extended warranty right now.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Recall someone recommending applying this with a spray bottle?

Thanks I will check it out.
This is correct. I talked to Jeep after I bought mine and the SPT is made with Premium Twill fabric material.

I have used this from day one and keeps Top clean etc. Water runs off and bird poop wipes off.

Great product.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Recall someone recommending applying this with a spray bottle?
I just do a zig zag spray from the bottle and wipe. I only do one section bar to bar at a time. Only half top of course then move to other side. I may overly apply but would rather have good soaking than less. I get 2 good applications per bottle.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
So you mean you've actually poured the the contents of the bottle into a spray bottle to apply?

I just do a zig zag spray from the bottle and wipe. I only do one section bar to bar at a time. Only half top of course then move to other side. I may overly apply but would rather have good soaking than less. I get 2 good applications per bottle.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So you mean you've actually poured the the contents of the bottle into a spray bottle to apply?
Sorry for not saying this. No, the bottle has an end with one hole to squeeze like the dawn soap bottle.

OP
OP
Jeepster21

Jeepster21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Got it thanks for the clarification I've got a bottle in the garage just haven't looked at it yet plan on trying it today.

Sorry for not saying this. No, the bottle has an end with one hole to squeeze like the dawn soap bottle.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Once you zig-zag across you can wipe side to side and see the coverage you get, Top gets wet so you cannot miss parts you can see the product on the top material.
Sponsored