Sky one roof - removing side windows?

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Is storing the rear windows in the supplied bag pretty self explanatory? I remember the freedom panels were a real PITA. Lots of scratches.
It's kind of a pain. The most annoying part is that you can't lay it out flat in the back. The "point" on the panels is wider than the space between the wheel wells so you have to fiddle around a bit to get them in the bag. They fit when hooked to the back of the seat because the point sneaks in between the seat and wheel well. Not the worst thing, but when trying to not scratch/ding them windows, it's frustrating.
Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's kind of a pain. The most annoying part is that you can't lay it out flat in the back. The "point" on the panels is wider than the space between the wheel wells so you have to fiddle around a bit to get them in the bag. They fit when hooked to the back of the seat because the point sneaks in between the seat and wheel well. Not the worst thing, but when trying to not scratch/ding them windows, it's frustrating.
Thanks. I had that feels while unpacking the bag.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Super easy. 10 seconds max. e.g Much easier than removing the front driver or passenger roof panels from a regular hard top. I don't love the look of the doors off/windows out /rear window in with Sky One Touch .... but they did a nice job with the simplicity of side windows.
IMG_7951.jpg
Personally, I think all Unlimiteds look terrible with the doors/top off. The body colored B pillar looks like they didn't plan for the vehicle to be convertible when they designed it. Sort of like the PT Cruiser or other convertibles with the basket handle B pillar. It would be better if they could have found a way for the doors to cover it, then it could have been painted black to recede from sight.

If anything, I think the Sky One Touch roof might look a little better than the other Unlimiteds when doorless because the body colored roof rails tie together with the B pillar and look cohesive, rather than the orphaned body colored B pillar prong left dangling.

Just my opinion.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Is storing the rear windows in the supplied bag pretty self explanatory? I remember the freedom panels were a real PITA. Lots of scratches.
it's a little confusing but there's a foam mold at the bottom of the bag and you can see where the black handles (the ones you turn to remove the window) fit into. That kinda works like a guide.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I think all Unlimiteds look terrible with the doors/top off. The body colored B pillar looks like they didn't plan for the vehicle to be convertible when they designed it. Sort of like the PT Cruiser or other convertibles with the basket handle B pillar. It would be better if they could have found a way for the doors to cover it, then it could have been painted black to recede from sight.

If anything, I think the Sky One Touch roof might look a little better than the other Unlimiteds when doorless because the body colored roof rails tie together with the B pillar and look cohesive, rather than the orphaned body colored B pillar prong left dangling.

Just my opinion.
I know the real Jeep veterans hate the naked Sky One Touch but this past weekend it was a perfect mid 70’s Saturday and Sunday here in NYC. I did a 200 mile run with tube doors and open roof. I didn’t want it to end. Plus I got a boat load of compliments on the Jeep. Looks great to my eyes which is all that matters.

FC8A6FD7-4DC3-4FBE-9917-0BC295F405A8.jpeg

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I know the real Jeep veterans hate the naked Sky One Touch but this past weekend it was a perfect mid 70’s Saturday and Sunday here in NYC. I did a 200 mile run with tube doors and open roof. I didn’t want it to end. Plus I got a boat load of compliments on the Jeep. Looks great to my eyes which is all that matters.

Love it!

Justdoit2

First Name
Anne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 4Dr Rubi; 2013 White 2Dr Rubi; 2011 Red 4Dr Sport

LOVE your JLU, Steve. I just got my 2020 White JLU Rubi with Sky Top in February. I love it and am anxious for warm weather to open it up. This is my 3rd Jeep, 2nd Rubicon. What mirror/tube door set up are you using? I’ve had trouble in the past with doorless mirrors bending down at higher speeds but you stated you drove 200 miles like this so I am very curious what your set up is for that.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE your JLU, Steve. I just got my 2020 White JLU Rubi with Sky Top in February. I love it and am anxious for warm weather to open it up. This is my 3rd Jeep, 2nd Rubicon. What mirror/tube door set up are you using? I’ve had trouble in the past with doorless mirrors bending down at higher speeds but you stated you drove 200 miles like this so I am very curious what your set up is for that.
Hi Anne, the tube doors and mirrors are from Steinjager. I went with them because I like the style of them. (Not too much metal, just tubes). I also like the polished look as opposed to the dull ones on the market. Happy Jeeping and best of luck with yours Anne!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

I'm a " Real Jeep Veteran " and I LOVE the Sky One Touch, I wish it was available for the 2 Dr.
If I ever get a 4Dr, that will be a must have...

Justdoit2

First Name
Anne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 4Dr Rubi; 2013 White 2Dr Rubi; 2011 Red 4Dr Sport
Hi Anne, the tube doors and mirrors are from Steinjager. I went with them because I like the style of them. (Not too much metal, just tubes). I also like the polished look as opposed to the dull ones on the market. Happy Jeeping and best of luck with yours Anne!
Thanks, Steve!

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
can anyone post some up close pictures of the panels and the top where they mount in? I'm thinking of cutting my freedom top up so the side panels and rear can separate. It would be a 2+3 hard top (which is what I thought they were going to do with the new model). I bought the seals (one I was thinking a fiberglass piece but no. So its going to have to be a full chop job. I can use the soft top mounting points to build supports for the top portion. This giving me top coverage with ALL sides open.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
1) your blue Jeep is beautiful

2) I personally think that the doors and sides off on that vehicle look terrible. Like some sort of half dissected vehicle in shop class

3) my opinion is worth what you paid for it. I’m glad fca gave us options and hope more automakers do so. I’m happy that you’re happy with your decision.

Hope to see you on the trails sometime

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Interesting look, curious, where did you buy your seat covers? I'm in Texas, will definitely need them for the summer...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting look, curious, where did you buy your seat covers? I'm in Texas, will definitely need them for the summer...
Hi CJ, I bought those covers off of Amazon. The company is called “Totally Covers”. They’re so far holding up well. I took a screenshot from Amazon and I see the screenshot doesn’t have the Jeep logo. Just check before you buy. Mine have the logo.

C08666E9-9ED2-4FDD-87C7-7911B3397AA2.jpeg

BF48B17A-FF36-424B-BFFF-35616419C842.png

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I really like how easy the side windows come out of the hardtop, same latches as Freedom Panels, same type of locating pins. I have a 2 door, and will look into modifying my hard top windows to come out like this...should definitely be a Option for all hard tops.
Totally agree. It would be a great option for the regular hardtop. Come on Jeep.......do it !!
Sponsored