First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I am looking at getting a 2.5lb extinguisher and I don’t understand why they are so expensive? A 2 pack 4lb Kidde from Home Depot is only $30 (as opposed to anywhere from $100-$400 from 4wd.com). What am I missing here? Is there a reason I should pay $400 for a fire extinguisher? That just seems crazy to me! 🤯
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I am looking at getting a 2.5lb extinguisher and I don’t understand why they are so expensive? A 2 pack 4lb Kidde from Home Depot is only $30 (as opposed to anywhere from $100-$400 from 4wd.com). What am I missing here? Is there a reason I should pay $400 for a fire extinguisher? That just seems crazy to me! 🤯
The $400 fire extinguishers you’re looking at are probably Halguard, which uses a clean agent that causes no thermal shock to electronics, no mess or damage to vehicle or surfaces. Check out Element Fire extinguishers for an alternate solution. They also claim to effectively put out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
The $400 fire extinguishers you’re looking at are probably Halguard, which uses a clean agent that causes no thermal shock to electronics, no mess or damage to vehicle or surfaces. Check out Element Fire extinguishers for an alternate solution. They also claim to effectively put out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher.
Thanks for pointing that out. They are indeed Halguard. I never knew there was a difference in extinguishers like that.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks for pointing that out. They are indeed Halguard. I never knew there was a difference in extinguishers like that.
I think it's important to identify where and how you would be using the fire extinguisher. That will dictate which one you should buy.

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Yeah https://elementfire.com/ are the only way to go! And they WAY out perform others at a 1/4 the size.

Jeep Wrangler JL Skool Me On Fire Extinguishers! 2020_homepage_square-80_slogan_v2_3000x3000
I just researched all about this Element Extinguisher and have decided to not only order one for the Jeep, but my wife’s truck, and a few for my home (garage, kitchen, and basement) as I like the idea of having one within quick reach. Thanks for suggesting this.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I just researched all about this Element Extinguisher and have decided to not only order one for the Jeep, but my wife’s truck, and a few for my home (garage, kitchen, and basement) as I like the idea of having one within quick reach. Thanks for suggesting this.
Ah you got it! they arent cheap but they really work. I did the same I got one for mine then got 2 more for the wife's Runicon and the kitchen!

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Have you seen that thing put a fire out? 99% of the reviews are from people who have never used one. But to each their own. After doing extensive research, I just bought an Amerex 2.5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher from Amazon for $40. I'd rather put out a fire from 10 feet away with controlled bursts, versus using a stick that shoots out some smoke from 2-3 feet away. I wish you luck though. If you ever have to use it to put a fire out, hopefully it won't be on a windy day.

Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Go to a local track/event with an ABC extinguisher, you will be asked to leave it in your vehicle.
Drivers, owners and stewards will not let you carry ABC extinguishers and they don't trust anyone who would carry one to not wreck a car with it.

Same on the trail, good intentions with bad equipment.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Check out YouTube there are a ton of videos.

And YES I have had to use it and I was SOLD on getting the other 2 of them after it working very well for me.

Your mileage may vary.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I hate to ask this question, but how often are people's Jeeps catching fire? I've been driving for 28 years and never felt the compulsion to have a fire extinguisher in my vehicle. This post really begs for some "Jeep on fire" pictures.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I hate to ask this question, but how often are people's Jeeps catching fire? I've been driving for 28 years and never felt the compulsion to have a fire extinguisher in my vehicle. This post really begs for some "Jeep on fire" pictures.
I hear ya to each his own. I've been driving Jeeps for 47 years and I've had a fire extinguisher in all of them and my trucks. Its like insurance, you should have it, do you need it? No, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it an not have it.

I've had to help others 3 times to put out fires or help out in putting out fires.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I hear ya to each his own. I've been driving Jeeps for 47 years and I've had a fire extinguisher in all of them and my trucks. Its like insurance, you should have it, do you need it? No, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it an not have it.

I've had to help others 3 times to put out fires or help out in putting out fires.
If my Jeep catches on fire I could just run into the mall and borrow one of their fire extinguishers. Or wait for the mall cop on a Segway to come by.
Sponsored