Skis Inside Soft Top

Ccameron511

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I recently purchased a 4xe soft top. I'm a skiier, so my plan was to buy an aftermarket hard top for winters, mainly so I could get an reasonable roof rack on for ski season. However, I was just looking at the space between the roll bars and my factory soft, and it looks pretty substantial, certainly enough to load skis on top of the bars from the front with the top half way back. I.E. the skis would be overhead INSIDE the soft top. Has anyone tried this?

My thought was to put felt protection lining on the tops of my roll bars, then use tie downs for the skis once they're placed on top so they don't slide.
Sponsored

Koopakeeper

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Did you ever try this? Cuz I am thinking of doing the same thing on my soft top and wondering if its feasible

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Did you ever try this? Cuz I am thinking of doing the same thing on my soft top and wondering if its feasible
I know you bumped this old thread, but as a snowboarder this doesn't seem like a bad idea. I think with just a couple towels and good straps this would work. I'll take a look at it and see how it would work this weekend.

Koopakeeper

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yeah, its old but its an idea that I dont understand why it WOULDNT work. I noticed the large gap above and was very curious if anyone did it. If you do, would love to see pics! Yeah, towels wrapped over roll bar with bungee cords, but then it should just be sliding them in with more bunjees to strap down

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
This is what I did.. not exactly what you are looking for ... but if you are handy and you combine these ideas I am certain you could fabricate a mount that allows you to carry your skiis

I bought these ski racks on Amazon and I fabricated brackets to mount the racks on the rollbar

Amazon.com: Ski Snowboard Roof Racks for Car,Carriers 6 Skis or 4 Snowboards Universal Vehicles Racks Mount with Anti Theft Lock : Automotive

Jeep Wrangler JL Skis Inside Soft Top 1670957969540

Follow this thread on how I made a mount to carry a water tank on that gap you mentioned between the rollbar and the roof

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ideas-for-camping-in-jeep.103801/post-2183480

I think that if you combine both ideas (Ski Rack + water tank mount) you could fabricate a mount for your skiiis ... :)

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
OK, someone without skis commenting on a revived old thread, but...

This will work assuming they aren't too long. I have taken the rear windows of my soft top in the storage bag and stowed them on top of the bars and under the top when in safari mode. They fit nicely and strapped in, I've been on the interstate at 70 mph with them staying firmly in place (and that's in safari mode).

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
I tried this out for shorter ski's (my wife is 5'1"). While it does fit under the top and over the sports bar, it's too difficult to slide them in from the rear or from the side. It's doable if you flip the top down and put it in from the top, but then you have to open the top to access the ski's.

I wish the rear bench was 40/20/40 so I could flip down just the center seat...
Sponsored