First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
In Assachusetts...ahhh sorry,meant Massachusetts Fat tires are great except if they bare out beyond fender flares or you have NO fender flare you cannot receive the annual inspection sticker you need to use the vehicle! It's back on stock tires if you still have them. Well how does the MA registry of MV know that's how your Jeep is like that? Well we are on video now as inspection done!.

Skinny tires and air down for sand, not excited about lotsa mud, air down too, I am not excited about doing rocks on purpose either! lol

Whatever, have fun!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I love the pizza cutter look, think back to the original Jeeps with 7 inch treads. Thinking of replacing my 285/70R 17’s with 255/80R 17’s on my JLR.

Tall and narrow makes sense to me, I remember an article from expiditionwest years back that discusses the benifits of tall and narrow tires but can’t seem to find the article now.

Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I can appreciate the skinny look, too. Back when I was young, I remember this guy having a ford pickup highboy. I thought it was the coolest looking truck at the time. The tires on it were very skinny.
Skinny works everywhere... except men's jeans.

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
The Patagonia’s look more narrow. I too like the look. The JLUR below is 38X12.5. Not skinny but more narrow. I think it looks pretty good.

3C7EF7AB-A5E7-4760-8ECD-96F26C0ECAF6.jpeg

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
In Assachusetts...ahhh sorry,meant Massachusetts Fat tires are great except if they bare out beyond fender flares or you have NO fender flare you cannot receive the annual inspection sticker you need to use the vehicle! It's back on stock tires if you still have them. Well how does the MA registry of MV know that's how your Jeep is like that? Well we are on video now as inspection done!.

Skinny tires and air down for sand, not excited about lotsa mud, air down too, I am not excited about doing rocks on purpose either! lol

Whatever, have fun!

Go Jeep!!!
Yep, Cameras and video at inspection stations. Ridiculous. I got a R once for having a plate surround blocking the state name. And it was a dealer plate surround! Yep 2 minutes to just pull it off, instead they slap an R on my windshield. “Not allowed to remove any mods” was there response. Did not even try to call (I had left while wife and I ran errands) or wait until I returned. Had to come back next day. I’m getting all fired up just thinking about it again!

But, I see a lot of Wranglers driving around with serious poke. They must swap out there wheels/tires come inspection time. You can get stopped - the most obvious ones. Or if you get stopped for something else, this will be an “add-on” bonus charge.

Saw a jku other day in parking lot with seriously cut back fenders and wide tires. Probably 3-4” tread exposed. I waited around and asked driver how he passed inspection. Started with “Nice Jeep!” but thought I was being a wise-ass, rather than genuinely curious. Said “I never had a problem”. Wouldn’t tell me who passed him like that.

My problem is off-set of aftermarket wheels. Puts me about 1/2” out. Law is “tread OR sidewall” protruding. Inspection due in August. I have factory wheels that I can, but hope I don’t have to mount tires back on. I’ll never get stopped for this amount if poke. And most LEOs would not notice. But the inspector will!

376B36FE-EE55-4F39-AA40-5D962EF7A3FB.jpeg

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I am thinking use thinner tire as a spare, thinner but same height. Like 34/10.5 for 315/70/R17
I’ll be doing the same thing; will be a bit lighter and won’t stick out quite as much, giving the spare a bit more clearance coming off ledges.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Reactions: KDB

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
My problem is off-set of aftermarket wheels. Puts me about 1/2” out. Law is “tread OR sidewall” protruding. Inspection due in August. I have factory wheels that I can, but hope I don’t have to mount tires back on. I’ll never get stopped for this amount if poke. And most LEOs would not notice. But the inspector will!

Too bad we aren't closer...I'd let you borrow my stock wheel/tire set for the inspection...

Keagan

First Name
Stephani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon, 2014 Z51 Corvette Convertible, 2013 Smart Fortwo
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Cameras and video at inspection stations. Ridiculous. I got a R once for having a plate surround blocking the state name. And it was a dealer plate surround! Yep 2 minutes to just pull it off, instead they slap an R on my windshield. “Not allowed to remove any mods” was there response. Did not even try to call (I had left while wife and I ran errands) or wait until I returned. Had to come back next day. I’m getting all fired up just thinking about it again!

But, I see a lot of Wranglers driving around with serious poke. They must swap out there wheels/tires come inspection time. You can get stopped - the most obvious ones. Or if you get stopped for something else, this will be an “add-on” bonus charge.

Saw a jku other day in parking lot with seriously cut back fenders and wide tires. Probably 3-4” tread exposed. I waited around and asked driver how he passed inspection. Started with “Nice Jeep!” but thought I was being a wise-ass, rather than genuinely curious. Said “I never had a problem”. Wouldn’t tell me who passed him like that.

Actually Massachusetts _does_ allow the tires to be beyond the fenders for 'four wheel drive vehicles' - see the fourth paragraph:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section19

"Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use. "

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Keagan, My daughter tried 3 x to get a sticker w/o going to non-stock fender flares or put on stock tires on her 2010 JKU! My grandson's Cherokee also refused for same reason despite what this section says!! Tires about 4" beyond stock flares?

Guess next time she'll bring a copy of what you in 01560 supplied! lol She is in 02364

Go Jeep

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I'm getting a set of 35x11.50's tomorrow.
Nice. Post a pic when done. That’s why I keep the factory wheels and no spacers for my 37’s. They don’t sling so much snow and crap up in my door handles. If they would have made a 37-11-17 I would have bought them. I like the factory wheels.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking of bumping up from 315/70 ko2's to 37x12.5 ko2's, so I can get the height benefit without the drawbacks of added width. My concern is that it would force me to go from the C load to a D load. Has anyone noticed any increased stiffness with the higher load rating on a taller tire? Thanks all!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I've been thinking of bumping up from 315/70 ko2's to 37x12.5 ko2's, so I can get the height benefit without the drawbacks of added width. My concern is that it would force me to go from the C load to a D load. Has anyone noticed any increased stiffness with the higher load rating on a taller tire? Thanks all!
I have not noticed any difference in ride. Feels like it did stock. Like both my JLs. I run about 30-31 psi.
Sponsored