Skids, Skids, Skids - Need some opinions

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I've done some searching and haven't come up with what I'm looking for. If its out there already please direct me in the right thread.

I already have a Rancho front diff glide (waiting on MC to come out with their front) and a rear MC skid (the golden diaper).

That being said I'm looking at an engine/trans skid. I really don't want to add the weight or the cost of a full belly pan system so RH4X4, MC, Artec seem to be out since its either all or nothing with their systems. I like the idea of being able to add skids in the future if I see a need as Rusty's, M.O.R.E., and Hauk (RROR) do even though I may never add more. My other option is EVO which I do like their products but it leaves me with no option to upgrade if needed.

Anyone have pros and cons of the Rusty's, M.O.R.E., Hauk, and EVO systems such as fitment, access to the oil drain plug, and how install/fitment was on the "add on" skids (if applicable)? I know the more skids the better but this is going to be a one or two time a year rig. My last Jeeps were built a lot bigger and did more difficult trails that needed that additional protection.

For wheeling I plan on running 37s on Raceline beadlocks on stock suspension with Artec inners and AAL brackets so the belly will be a little lower but doing "easier" trails it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks y'all!!
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I get the negatives you listed for full skids but if you’re going to wheel, I can’t recommend them enough. I have a thread about post ejs damage. Check it out and see the abuse ours took. We were able to slide over things without damage too. I have MC and they are great. However, I don’t think anyone puts out anything besides stellar skids. If you go the MC route, they do free shipping once a month or every other month. Follow them on FB or instagram. It helps save a bunch on shipping charges

Brett

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I'm in the same position. I want to add a full skid system but living in Nebraska, salt and sand accumulating on top of the skids in the winter is a concern for me. I also like the idea of a modular system since I can't drop the cash on a full system all at once.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the same position. I want to add a full skid system but living in Nebraska, salt and sand accumulating on top of the skids in the winter is a concern for me. I also like the idea of a modular system since I can't drop the cash on a full system all at once.
Artec has an aluminum skid system that is awesome but it’s spendy. That said it’s not much trouble to drop the skids

Brett

OP
OP
minimight

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I get the negatives you listed for full skids but if you’re going to wheel, I can’t recommend them enough. I have a thread about post ejs damage. Check it out and see the abuse ours took. We were able to slide over things without damage too. I have MC and they are great. However, I don’t think anyone puts out anything besides stellar skids. If you go the MC route, they do free shipping once a month or every other month. Follow them on FB or instagram. It helps save a bunch on shipping charges

Brett
I did see the EJS thread. Some great info there. My biggest thing is the oil pan and those damn trans lines that they still didn't correct. On my previous JKs the gas tank skid definitely took some good hits (esp running the trails I was) but held up pretty well considering, my T-case skid rarely hit, same with the EVAP skid. I've been keeping an eye out for the @Metalcloak free shipping sales but I have a trip in June and not sure if I will see one in time. I always liked the RROR skids but never ended up getting my hands on a set.

Sponsored

OP
OP
minimight

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Artec has an aluminum skid system that is awesome but it’s spendy. That said it’s not much trouble to drop the skids

Brett
VERY nice skids. If I went full belly that would be my first choice. Price is a touch too rich for my blood.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
VERY nice skids. If I went full belly that would be my first choice. Price is a touch too rich for my blood.
Agree. Aluminum is nice, but I can't drop that much coin. Also, I wish the Metalcloak has tank skid didn't install over the factory steel skid. At least Artec has you remove the factory skid. Quadratec has a modular aluminium system, but I haven't seen a lot of reviews or feedback yet on them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did see the EJS thread. Some great info there. My biggest thing is the oil pan and those damn trans lines that they still didn't correct. On my previous JKs the gas tank skid definitely took some good hits (esp running the trails I was) but held up pretty well considering, my T-case skid rarely hit, same with the EVAP skid. I've been keeping an eye out for the @Metalcloak free shipping sales but I have a trip in June and not sure if I will see one in time. I always liked the RROR skids but never ended up getting my hands on a set.
It might not be free shipping but you can always call them and see if they could lessen the blow a bit. They are a great group of guys. Check their website for authorized installers too. They might have a set in stock...maybe

Brett

OP
OP
minimight

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
It might not be free shipping but you can always call them and see if they could lessen the blow a bit. They are a great group of guys. Check their website for authorized installers too. They might have a set in stock...maybe

Brett
Good points for sure. I might reach out and see what we can make happen. Thanks!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The only thing I wish @Metalcloak would do differently with their skid system is to find a way to remove the factory gas tank instead of installing over top.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have people destroyed the factory tank skid?

It doesn't seem THAT bad as-is.

OP
OP
minimight

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR

I might find out in June lol.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR

I haven't destroyed it yet, but I'd like to have a seamless skid plate system to prevent any hang up. But if I go to a complete skid system, I'd rather not carry around the extra weight of a stock skid too.

Motobilt is coming out with a complete system soon. Once they announce theirs and have a price, I'll consider all my options and go from there. Metalcloak is still my frontrunner because I'd rather have the zinc plating instead of powder coat.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm honestly a bit baffled by any of the frame skids until someone addresses the crossmembers. FCA could have tucked em up inside the framerails like the trans xmember......buuuutttt instead they just kinda figured "eh good enough it's time for lunch" and just wandered away like Towelie......

Problem is it'll absolutely require welding and the entire aftermarket apparently will only build bolt-on or nothing.

I'll be building my own eventually, I think it's item #1095 on my list of 5184 things to do....

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I'm honestly a bit baffled by any of the frame skids until someone addresses the crossmembers. FCA could have tucked em up inside the framerails like the trans xmember......buuuutttt instead they just kinda figured "eh good enough it's time for lunch" and just wandered away like Towelie......

Problem is it'll absolutely require welding and the entire aftermarket apparently will only build bolt-on or nothing.

I'll be building my own eventually, I think it's item #1095 on my list of 5184 things to do....
Which crossmembers are you specifically referring to? I'm assuming the ones you can see when you're standing next to the jeep? Those are definitely a pain and the first to get smashed, but I thought those were just there to hold/mount the skid plates? (I'm a 1000 miles from my Jeep or I'd crawl under and look) I think Rockhard 4x4 has a new trans crossmember with their skid system and I believe Metalcloak is working on one too.
Sponsored