OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not really. I used an adjustable wrench on the nut because my big wrenches weren’t handy (22 I think) and a socket/air impact on the 21 bolt head. You don’t have to remove the bolt, just take the nut off, place the skid, bolt it back up and torque it. Total install time less than 5 minutes.
Good to know, it looked to be a pain, but I was balancing the skid and a tape measure at the same time.
Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
Interesting that the only exhaust loop skids I found searching are the Skid Row plate and the EVO skid plate
it appears that none of the big buck full skid plates manufacturers consider the exhaust loop worth protecting.
My question is the exhaust loop less vulnerable than it appears? It looks expensive to replace.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting that the only exhaust loop skids I found searching are the Skid Row plate and the EVO skid plate
it appears that none of the big buck full skid plates manufacturers consider the exhaust loop worth protecting.
My question is the exhaust loop less vulnerable than it appears? It looks expensive to replace.
There have been a few posts where some one has damaged the loop and yes, it is not cheap to replace. The EVO skid plate does not appear to protect as well as the Skid Row version if I am understanding how it works.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
There have been a few posts where some one has damaged the loop and yes, it is not cheap to replace. The EVO skid plate does not appear to protect as well as the Skid Row version if I am understanding how it works.
Not sure, but the Evo skid looks like it only works with their belly skid system.

Scott

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Chocolate Thunder - here it is after I gusseted the tab, fully welded the parts they stitch welded and added some additional flat bar to strengthen it. Just out of the sandblaster and I will test fit it and then have it coated:

qlja8g.jpg

qljl9a.jpg

qljYcF.jpg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i have had the skid row plate for over a year now. i have room between it and the loop. Choco Thunder, is yours a 2.0T by any chance?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i have had the skid row plate for over a year now. i have room between it and the loop. Choco Thunder, is yours a 2.0T by any chance?
The 2.0T does not have the exhaust loop.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
No, 3.6L automatic.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I can't stick my finger in there, but there appears to be about 1/8th inch between my skid and the heat shield.

Sponsored

sherpaJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito! ~ 2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
@Chocolate Thunder - here it is after I gusseted the tab, fully welded the parts they stitch welded and added some additional flat bar to strengthen it. Just out of the sandblaster and I will test fit it and then have it coated:

Jeep Wrangler JL Skid Row Exhaust Loop Skid Plate "Improvements" qljYcF

did you ever get this installed?
I'm debating between skid or loop delete downpipe

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
did you ever get this installed?
I'm debating between skid or loop delete downpipe
Yes; I did, but it required removing the heat shield from the loop to gain enough clearance. In the end, it is not really a big deal, but Skid Row should have done more research before going to market.

I went out on their website a few minutes ago and they may have "improved" it over the version that I have. It appears to be a little wider than mine.

After I beefed mine up, I have been happy with it because it took a hit that would have certainly dented the exhaust loop or without the extra bracing I did, folded up into the exhaust loop.
Sponsored