Sponsored

Skid plates on a 2020 JLUS?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Is there front and back? Where are they located (what do they protect)? What's NOT protected? Are they sufficient or is a replacement worth the $$? My googling is coming up empty (as is searching the forums).
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is there front and back? Where are they located (what do they protect)? What's NOT protected? Are they sufficient or is a replacement worth the $$? My googling is coming up empty (as is searching the forums).
Just look underneath. It's pretty lacking. If you're going to do any serious off-roading you'll want to make some changes under there.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s an undercarriage shot. Basically the transfer case has a small, light duty skid. There are a couple crossmembers. And the fuel tank has a light gauge skid.

Up to your use case on if you need more protection and heavier duty protection.

The most vulnerable places in my opinion are the lower control arms f/r, the diffs, and the rear shock mounts. I also hit the exhaust cross over and the factory skids before adding other solutions.

EF0A215D-43D4-4B96-B856-5D3CB91EEDEC.jpeg

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Here’s an undercarriage shot.
WOW. I thought for sure there would be more. We’re going to try to find a dry place in the next few days to take a look, but we’ve had so much snow (and rain, and more snow)... thanks for the diagram. That’s really helpful! And scary that so little is protected.

Where did you find this? Is there one of the JLUR? I’m curious to see the difference.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
WOW. I thought for sure there would be more. We’re going to try to find a dry place in the next few days to take a look, but we’ve had so much snow (and rain, and more snow)... thanks for the diagram. That’s really helpful! And scary that so little is protected.

Where did you find this? Is there one of the JLUR? I’m curious to see the difference.
The diagram is for a 3.6 from CJ Pony Parts & there's not much difference (if any at all) among the Rubicon, Sport, or Sahara. There's a slight difference with the 2.0 4-cylinder... there are skids available given the battery location. Prior to installing a full skid system, skids for the muffler, LCA's, FAD, etc., I've scraped up just about everything on rocks (but no serious damage). The stock skids are flimsy. The diff covers need protection...as does the steering stabilizer, oil pan & drain plug...but as @MarkY3130 mentioned, it depends on usage.

Nice work, Mark.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The diagram is for a 3.6 from CJ Pony Parts & there's not much difference (if any at all) among the Rubicon, Sport, or Sahara. There's a slight difference with the 2.0 4-cylinder... there are skids available given the battery location. Prior to installing a full skid system, skids for the muffler, LCA's, FAD, etc., I've scraped up just about everything on rocks (but no serious damage). The stock skids are flimsy. The diff covers need protection...as does the steering stabilizer, oil pan & drain plug...but as @MarkY3130 mentioned, it depends on usage.

Nice work, Mark.
The rear lca/shock mount is obviously the low point and in harm's way. Putting the front diff drain plug on the bottom lowest part was an awful choice by FCA. Outside of those, stock skids are fine for the vast majority.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The rear lca/shock mount is obviously the low point and in harm's way. Putting the front diff drain plug on the bottom lowest part was an awful choice by FCA. Outside of those, stock skids are fine for the vast majority.
I agree. Skids are heavy and expensive. So be thoughtful about the skids you add.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I agree. Skids are heavy and expensive. So be thoughtful about the skids you add.
Agreed...Eddie at way of life site beats the heck out of his jeeps and only runs the Evo oil pan skid and a Rancho front diff skid and rear lca skid. His stock skids have worked well.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I don’t know if I’ll be adding any, but I figured it’s good to know where your protection is. I’m quite surprised as how little there is though!

The rubicon skids are no different than what is in the diagram above.
Are you sure? I was under the impression that Sahara’s only have front protection whereas Rubicons have both front and back. Now having said that, I don’t know exactly what that means. :blush: (The diagram helps!)

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don’t know if I’ll be adding any, but I figured it’s good to know where your protection is. I’m quite surprised as how little there is though!

Are you sure? I was under the impression that Sahara’s only have front protection whereas Rubicons have both front and back. Now having said that, I don’t know exactly what that means. :blush: (The diagram helps!)
Positive, Here is a picture of them minus the gas tank skid(I don’t have it anymore)

ADD19DF6-424C-4DE2-B115-B5224B441BA0.jpeg

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

The diagram is definitely instructive. I admit I was a bit taken aback when I slid underneath to check the Rubicon plates. Pretty minimalist compared to the Mopar OEM plates I added to (and dented on) my old Cherokee years ago.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think diff skid plates are a must. I jammed my front against a huge rock and the front diff skid took some paint damage but did a great job of protection.
Sponsored