Skid plates: MetalCloak Steel vs. Quadratec Aluminum

Rickg667

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 62 CJ-5, 54 m38a1, 52 m38a1c
Alright, let my start by saying this isn't going to be a Steel vs. Aluminum weight savings vs. durability debate, or a MC vs. QTec debate. That's not what I'm looking for.... it's strictly a cost/benefit analysis.

Question: the MC full system is $999. I was sold on this until I saw Quadratec is offering comparable (in coverage, at least) Aluminum skids, totaling roughly $847 + Shipping. I was 100% sold on the MC system for their design and coverage. However, it looks like I could save at least $150-200 alone by going with Quadratec.

Given this scenario, which would you choose and why? I'm curious if the design of the MC system is really worth the final difference, all things considered.

Considerations:
-I live in the Northeast so rust is a factor
-The Jeep is staying stock and handling lighter duty off road stuff for now (no more than a 3 out of 10 difficulty probably) due to limited time, and eventually bringing my wife and 2 year old son along who are not used to off roading.
-I would like to be able to build this Jeep into the same caliber of rig as my past 2 TJ's, being able to do some hard, technical trails on the weekend (probably eventually a lift and 37's), drive to work Monday, and take a road trip the following weekend. Similar goal to the LiteBrite JLUR, and several other builds on this forum which I've low key been using as inspiration for this build.
-I do most of my own work and would likely be installing in my driveway or a buddy's garage. I don't mind upgrading as needs change, but if I can pay a little more and have to only do it once, I am open to that.
-I haven't had a chance, but I was also considering reaching out to a few off road shops that are Authorized Metalcloak dealers within a ~200mi radius of where I live to see if I can maybe save some shipping that way. Has anyone in the Northeast gone this route?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Removed shipping charges because I was just on the Metalcloak site and they now offer free shipping to the lower 48 States on all orders over $100. So the difference is just the price at this point.
I went with the quadratec. Metal cloak and JCR were backordered or not available. I did the engine and transfer case plates, never had issue with a Jeep gas tank plate... I wanted to cover the oil and trans pans... the replacement frame supports from quadratec are stout, the plates are thick, easy to install. Literally 30 minutes on my back with a socket wrench (a few beers). Only thing I am not a fan of is there is a depression between the plates, kinda wonder how long it will be until I get caught on it...
Sponsored

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Cruising the forum and saw @TylerR put the Quadratec ones on in another thread. If you wouldn't mind me asking: How are they holding up? How do you like them so far? Anything you dislike?
Holding up fine. Just drove from FL to CO and no issues. Should start some trails soon now that’s it’s warm.

3DEC93A2-6DD9-487B-A74D-EC0EB4692A8D.jpeg

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Thanks guys!
One of the things that leaned me toward Quadratec was actually the reinforced cross members. I’ve heard and seen some things about the factory ones. Might as well replace them once before it’s an issue

Now to just wait and see if Quadratec does their 4th of July sale and what kind of deals they’re doing!

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Got to test them out on a trail. I can say the whole “steel glides better” is bull. Another guy has aluminum as well who does some serious trails agreed. I came down on mine and they glide like butter and only leave a little trail of aluminum dust. Couldn’t be happier. My MC diff skid got a workout too. That guy took a few hits. Definitely recommend.

022C3BA5-B492-4B7F-AD22-92BCA862E547.jpeg

E0F8D332-023E-43B9-B23D-D340E4A49187.jpeg

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Got my Quadratec Aluminum skidplates installed last Sunday. Had my buddy give me a hand, and he's done a ton of work on his Jeeps over the years (much of it custom- axle swaps, t-case mods- way more in depth than I'm used to). That said, we were both pretty impressed with everything. Design, ease of install, completeness of the kits and the directions (full color booklets with great pictures). Absolutely top notch. the Steel cross members are really beefy, and the gas tank skid actually bolts under the cross member to protect the OEM skid plate, so you don't have to mess with dropping the gas tank. All in all, I ordered them on a Sunday, they were at my door Tuesday afternoon, and with a few hours in the garage and two relatively competent guys with hand tools, the engine/T-case/ Fuel tank skid were installed in about 2 hours.

Bravo on this skid plate system, @Quadratec !

Pics and a build thread coming soon. I'll link to them when I get them posted. Work has been crazy lately.

Sponsored

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am a huge fan of MetalCloak products but I opted to go with the Quadratec Aluminum skids only because I didnt want the full belly protection and a little less weight and modular design. I just put the Engine/Transmission skid on this past weekend and plan on testing it at Rausch Creek coming up this weekend. I may opt for the transfer case add-on but for now the factory skid for that has held up well.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
It's annoying to me that so few have taken time to develop a system for us 2.0L owners. Hey @Metalcloak where are you guys at on this?
It's not just the 2.0, it's the 2 door period and it's driving me nuts.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Holding up fine. Just drove from FL to CO and no issues. Should start some trails soon now that’s it’s warm.

3DEC93A2-6DD9-487B-A74D-EC0EB4692A8D.jpeg
Looks good...any issues with your front driveshaft hitting it when flexing? Do they reduce ground clearance vs. stock skids?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am a huge fan of MetalCloak products but I opted to go with the Quadratec Aluminum skids only because I didnt want the full belly protection and a little less weight and modular design. I just put the Engine/Transmission skid on this past weekend and plan on testing it at Rausch Creek coming up this weekend. I may opt for the transfer case add-on but for now the factory skid for that has held up well.
Hey...looking at buying just the engine/transmission skid as well. Will you post pics? How did you integrate it with the stock transfer case skid? Did the quadratec skids mount over or under the stock t case skid? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Looks good...any issues with your front driveshaft hitting it when flexing? Do they reduce ground clearance vs. stock skids?
Can't speak to flexing as i haven't had a chance to get out on the trail yet but it looks like there is plenty of clearance for the front driveshaft. If anything, The T-case skid increases ground clearance because the cross member that replaces the stock one sits a little higher so the skid can bolt to the bottom. Engine/ Trans skid doesn't have a stock skid but it keeps it pretty high and tight. Fuel tank skid is basically a shield and reinforcements that bolts to the bottom of the brace holding the fuel tank on.

Hey...looking at buying just the engine/transmission skid as well. Will you post pics? How did you integrate it with the stock transfer case skid? Did the quadratec skids mount over or under the stock t case skid? Thanks
The stock skid/ cross member has to come off for the transfer case skid. The engine/Trans skid comes with it's own crossmember that bolts to the frame just behind the control arms, and the transfer case skid comes with a reinforced cross member that replaces the factory cross member. The replacement crossmember has holes you can bolt into. I'm not sure if the factory one has the same- I know it's basically 2 tubes and it's welded with a little plate over the transfercase and 2 short tubes going perpendicular to that. I was talking to a few JKU guys and that is the one that gets caught on everything and bent to hell on the JKU's. It looks almost identical to the JLU one. If you're going with skids, I'd just ditch that stock one and pick up the Quadratec one. Stock looks like it might protect from road debris, but that's about it. I'll try to post a picture.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Can't speak to flexing as i haven't had a chance to get out on the trail yet but it looks like there is plenty of clearance for the front driveshaft. If anything, The T-case skid increases ground clearance because the cross member that replaces the stock one sits a little higher so the skid can bolt to the bottom. Engine/ Trans skid doesn't have a stock skid but it keeps it pretty high and tight. Fuel tank skid is basically a shield and reinforcements that bolts to the bottom of the brace holding the fuel tank on.

The stock skid/ cross member has to come off for the transfer case skid. The engine/Trans skid comes with it's own crossmember that bolts to the frame just behind the control arms, and the transfer case skid comes with a reinforced cross member that replaces the factory cross member. The replacement crossmember has holes you can bolt into. I'm not sure if the factory one has the same- I know it's basically 2 tubes and it's welded with a little plate over the transfercase and 2 short tubes going perpendicular to that. I was talking to a few JKU guys and that is the one that gets caught on everything and bent to hell on the JKU's. It looks almost identical to the JLU one. If you're going with skids, I'd just ditch that stock one and pick up the Quadratec one. Stock looks like it might protect from road debris, but that's about it. I'll try to post a picture.
Thanks...I wish the transition from the tranny skid to the transfer case skid was the same profile and didnt have a dip to get hung up on.

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Nope. None so far. Did a pretty much vertical climb and some pretty nasty ledges. They glide like butter. Slid across a big hump Sunday and did great.

7BB306FC-6301-47BE-80BB-62613AE7662F.png

14D36BD2-283A-4DF4-8573-04DD06F84BE1.jpeg

6E25EE95-9E47-4500-A87F-7E53B86C124B.jpeg

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I have these, and so did one of the other guys this weekend. I ended up sliding off a rock and smacking the front plate pretty hard. It is now deformed, but it held up. The other guy was NOT happy about his at all. He hit the support bar and ended up tearing away part of the vertical stabilization right near the frame bolt. He was going to send the pic to Quadratec to see if they'd stand behind their product. So my personal verdict based upon my and his experience is that its probably fine if most of your offroading is NOT rocks, but if you are a fan of the rock garden, these may be a bit too tender. I'm keeping these for now, but expect that I'll likely have to replace them, and then I'll go with metalcloak or Artec?.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I have these, and so did one of the other guys this weekend. I ended up sliding off a rock and smacking the front plate pretty hard. It is now deformed, but it held up. The other guy was NOT happy about his at all. He hit the support bar and ended up tearing away part of the vertical stabilization right near the frame bolt. He was going to send the pic to Quadratec to see if they'd stand behind their product. So my personal verdict based upon my and his experience is that its probably fine if most of your offroading is NOT rocks, but if you are a fan of the rock garden, these may be a bit too tender. I'm keeping these for now, but expect that I'll likely have to replace them, and then I'll go with metalcloak or Artec?.
I’m ordering the new motobilt for my wife’s Jeep. I’ll let you know how they are, look awesome and provide a ton of protection. Just another option

Brett
Sponsored