Skid plates Aluminum V. Steel

ronhallam

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
What's are people's opinions on aluminum skid plates v. steel plates?
Sponsored

onemoreokie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lexus GX460, 2021 JLU Rubicon XR
I was asking myself the same question this week. I went into the local 4X4 shop and the techs and owner were adamant to get steel. They said the aluminum while light, doesn't hold up to mountain rock bashing.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Aluminum is lighter, does not rust and is by far a better heat dissipator than steel (Remember you have a gearbox generating lots of heat down there).

Aluminum tends to be less forgiving than steel when you need to slide over rocks, steel will slide where aluminum might stick (Because aluminum is softer).

All depends what you want to do with your Jeep. 12 years of off roading behind me with 4 Wranglers, I have never added additional under body protection.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I’ve only added a steel engine/tranny skid on mine. Evo is my go to for that. I’ve never had an issue with the factory transfer case or gas tank skids on any of my previous Jeeps.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
100% agree with @SilverSurfer.

If you spend more time in mud, peat, tundra or swamp than rock, aluminum is great. Easier to lower to clean out timber, moss, beer cans and dead turtles.

If your time is spent more at the dunes or beach, no skids unless you’re going for laughs.

If you tend to test the boundaries of stupidity like I do on granite, limestone or sandstone, steel is a good choice.

Last edited:

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Went with aluminum for the bigger ones (driveline and front swaybar) and steel for the smaller ones (FAD and LCAs).

Not expecting to bash the aluminum ones hard enough to destroy them (my bad if I do) and wanted to save some weight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Skid plates Aluminum V. Steel 52FB17D2-B352-4A9F-A5FE-A7FFDD71E8F5

OP
OP
ronhallam

ronhallam

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
All great advice. Im just thinking middle of nowhere and you punch hole in engine oil pan or tarnny. If break something else you could at least still run engine for heat and comfort until help arrived!!! I have 4 in lift and 37in tires I do not plan on hitting anything but never know.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Howdy neighbor (larmier resident too). I have full steel on mine. There are the tidbits others mentioned but protection is protection. Rather have and not need then need and not have. I do some aggressive trails so the peace of mind is much needed.

-Julia

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
All great advice. Im just thinking middle of nowhere and you punch hole in engine oil pan or tarnny. If break something else you could at least still run engine for heat and comfort until help arrived!!! I have 4 in lift and 37in tires I do not plan on hitting anything but never know.
That was my thinking. I don’t need it to take multiple hits or belly slide. I just wanted another layer of protection when remote. I went with the inexpensive aluminum Asfir engine skid. The only thing I’m not liking is when I loosen my oil filter and let it drain, the stream hits the skid and runs the length of the skid to the middle of the Jeep and runs out. A mess.

I’m going to be working with JB Waterweld to make a dam and try to direct it to the drain hole.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
That was my thinking. I don’t need it to take multiple hits or belly slide. I just wanted another layer of protection when remote. I went with the inexpensive aluminum Asfir engine skid. The only thing I’m not liking is when I loosen my oil filter and let it drain, the stream hits the skid and runs the length of the skid to the middle of the Jeep and runs out. A mess.

I’m going to be working with JB Waterweld to make a dam and try to direct it to the drain hole.

would the Fumoto F106S help you with the oil drain issue?

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
would the Fumoto F106S help you with the oil drain issue?
Only if it mounts to the oil filter body. As to the drain plug part of the problem, I created a short dam to help direct it about 1/2” to the drain cutout. Most goes into the oil container but some clings to the metal and it very slowly runs down the bottom of the skid after a few minutes but it’s manageable. I’m not sure if something would spin on the drain plug threads being that close to the skid.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Only if it mounts to the oil filter body. As to the drain plug part of the problem, I created a short dam to help direct it about 1/2” to the drain cutout. Most goes into the oil container but some clings to the metal and it very slowly runs down the bottom of the skid after a few minutes but it’s manageable. I’m not sure if something would spin on the drain plug threads being that close to the skid.
ohh ok!!

I also saw this other alternative.. it seems more compact.. no idea if it works for your case... or if they make a version that fits our JLs

Amazon.com: Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug M14x1.5x12mm Steel - CLEAN, EASY, NO TOOL Oil Change - Includes Oil Drain Plug, Washer, Cap, Connector, Silicone Hose : Automotive

Jeep Wrangler JL Skid plates Aluminum V. Steel 1644950963080

OP
OP
ronhallam

ronhallam

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I ordered the EVo and they also sold me a valve to replace oil pan drain plug you slide lever and it drains thru a rubber hose. Just have to see if new part has correct plug threads.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I was looking at the Asfir skids, I wish they would make the front "steering rod protector" skid in black to blend in more.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What's are people's opinions on aluminum skid plates v. steel plates?
Even though aluminum is not as strong as steel, it can be somewhat compensated for by adding material.

Check out this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2-0-engine-skid-plates.49229/page-20#post-1658896

Asfir vs. M.O.R.E.

The M.O.R.E. is wider, but unfortunately doesn't fit 2018 2-doors due to the gas tank (2019+ is OK). Even thought the M.O.R.E. skid was way heavier, the Asfir brackets were actually heavier.

Asfir skid ≈ 4 gauge aluminum
M.O.R.E. skid ≈ 8 gauge Steel

Asfir brackets ≈ 0 gauge steel
M.O.R.E. brackets ≈ 3 gauge steel