SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Whats the consensus on oil/trans skid, which one do i get?

After pushing the limits of the jeep on a difficult trail......
I doubt you will get a consensus. It's pretty much personal preference and mounting method. Out of whats listed in this thread: Rock hard is too spendy IMO. The MORE is priced well if you like steel and don't mind the mounting method. It's kinda difficult to get to the motor mount bolts. You have to droop the suspension ,use long extensions, and an impact is helpful. Tnt looks good and looks like it attaches to the motor mount brackets without having to remove any bolts. Way easier to install but costs more. Also has to be custom ordered from the looks of it. Evo and Quadratec have to be modified to fit.

I'm happy with the MORE skid.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I see they're loaded on the site now. Can't wait

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I doubt you will get a consensus. It's pretty much personal preference and mounting method. Out of whats listed in this thread: Rock hard is too spendy IMO. The MORE is priced well if you like steel and don't mind the mounting method. It's kinda difficult to get to the motor mount bolts. You have to droop the suspension ,use long extensions, and an impact is helpful. Tnt looks good and looks like it attaches to the motor mount brackets without having to remove any bolts. Way easier to install but costs more. Also has to be custom ordered from the looks of it. Evo and Quadratec have to be modified to fit.

I'm happy with the MORE skid.
Will you post pics of the MORE skid? Did you get the transmission/oil pan skid and the transfer case skid?

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks...I really wish the bolts were recessed
The gas tank skid? Yeah the back 2 bolts are a bummer that part of the skid needs a bit of a redesign. The 2 inside middle bolts come with slide washers that I don't have installed. I also don't like the button head bolts on the back of the transfer case skid. Oil pan skid is top notch IMO.

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Has anyone looked at the DV8 SPJL-04 ?

https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jl-skid-plates/products/spjl-04

I think I am between this one and the TnT.

How exposed is the stock Rubicon? I ran my LJ for years without, but I did take a few hits down there.

I wheel a few times a year and really am only looking to protect the occasional hit on a pan. I don't really rock crawl, just the rocks I come across on the trail, but I will hit Moab this year and maybe the Rubicon trail next year.

Also, I change the oil myself and need to consider the ease of oil changes over the next decade or so.

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Whats the consensus on oil/trans skid, which one do i get?

After pushing the limits of the jeep on a difficult trail......

5C2F075E-A414-4E7B-B944-1C45A8E471CB.jpeg

Good Job, this is proof you are using it, I like it !!!
As to your question, I echo others, figure out your mission, and go with the appropriate battle armour.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Good Job, this is proof you are using it, I like it !!!
As to your question, I echo others, figure out your mission, and go with the appropriate battle armour.
Maybe a little too much proof, luckily i was at home when i saw this so no issue. But yes i was using it.

Winter is coming so time to build up again and save for moab

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Maybe a little too much proof, luckily i was at home when i saw this so no issue. But yes i was using it.

Winter is coming so time to build up again and save for moab
Moab! Still trying to maneuver to spend a bit of time out there before the snow flies. Great place with awesome views if not the best beer. :beer:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yep, choices for 2dr. specific aftermarket armor blows. However I met up with M.O.R.E. at All-4-Fun week and got a deal I couldn’t refuse. I now have their full belly pan offering on my JLR. Good product, good folks and I couldn’t be happier. BTW, M.O.R.E. might be developing a skid for the P-Trap lookin exhaust pipe on the drivers side. I already had purchased one from Skid Row and it works. Now, if I could just find boat sided sliders like Genright makes for 4 doors only.

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
So I looked over in detail the 4 versions I see that fit the 2 door.

I ruled out the M.O.R.E. as I don't like the way it attaches to both the frame and the engine.

I ruled out the DV8 because it doesn't seem to provide oil pan protection, I'd have to add something like the Westin, but then it's $390 plus $150 and a little bit convoluted.

I ruled out the Westin oil plus trans mostly because it fits over the existing exhaust crossmember and brings the belly clearance down a little, although I like the mostly open design. Good for airflow and for avoiding build up of mud.

For my purposes I think the TnT is the best overall solution for the money - on paper, and will likely order that one up soon. I like it as it mounts to the frame at both ends, eliminates the low crossmember, has a hole for oil drain plug and protects the stuff I am specifically worried about under there - oil pan and trans pan.

I like the Metalcloak system, but it is too much for my needs and too much $ as well. If Metalcloak had just the front piece I would go that route, but that is basically what the TnT is anyway.

I will report back.

Edit: TnT is ordered, waiting for leadtime info.

Last edited:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
So I looked over in detail the 4 versions I see that fit the 2 door.

I ruled out the M.O.R.E. as I don't like the way it attaches to both the frame and the engine.

I ruled out the DV8 because it doesn't seem to provide oil pan protection, I'd have to add something like the Westin, but then it's $390 plus $150 and a little bit convoluted.

I ruled out the Westin oil plus trans mostly because it fits over the existing exhaust crossmember and brings the belly clearance down a little, although I like the mostly open design. Good for airflow and for avoiding build up of mud.

For my purposes I think the TnT is the best overall solution for the money - on paper, and will likely order that one up soon. I like it as it mounts to the frame at both ends, eliminates the low crossmember, has a hole for oil drain plug and protects the stuff I am specifically worried about under there - oil pan and trans pan.

I like the Metalcloak system, but it is too much for my needs and too much $ as well. If Metalcloak had just the front piece I would go that route, but that is basically what the TnT is anyway.

I will report back.

Edit: TnT is ordered, waiting for leadtime info.
Are you sure the TnT fits on a 2-door? The description says "fits only 4 door unlimited". The picture looks like the "T" shaped cross brace is removed. It supports the front of the gas tank skid on a 2-door. They don't have any pictures of it on a 2-door.

Also, I don't see the issue with the way the M.O.R.E. skid mounts. It looks like the front braces attach to the motor mount brackets (welded to frame), not the motor mounts themselves. Where does it attach to the engine?
Sponsored

Last edited: