Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Would love to know any reviews of skids people have installed or new systems anyone has found. It might be a bit before I purchase, but looking at my options for skid systems before I break something.

Most important or common areas of concern have been the oil pan/transmission lines and the exhaust loop under the driver's seat. It doesn't look like all options address the exhaust loop. For some harder wheeling, I understand the gas tank skid. However, I've heard very few stories of anyone causing damage with the factory skid. Even on the rubicon trail, that skid seems to hold up fine.

I'd love to do a full belly pan option but I honestly don't want to spend that much or add that much weight for my current wheeling level. Looking for some option between. The most appealing has been the Evo Protek with the exhaust skid. It only adds a net 25# increase over stock and protects everything that is vulnerable. Anyone have any experience with that? The only thing I don't like is that they don't have an option to replace the factory transfer case skid. I'd like to get rid of that last perforated cross member that seems to get hung up a lot.

How has all the aluminum held up? I haven't heard anything bad. That Artec aluminum belly pan looks amazing and only adds I think 8# over stock. However, at $2k price tag, I just can't justify yet. I see several have done the quadratec aluminum. The engine and transfer tank skid have a ship weight of 80# so I'm guessing not much weight savings. Must be the steel cross members.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to know any reviews of skids people have installed or new systems anyone has found. It might be a bit before I purchase, but looking at my options for skid systems before I break something.

Most important or common areas of concern have been the oil pan/transmission lines and the exhaust loop under the driver's seat. It doesn't look like all options address the exhaust loop. For some harder wheeling, I understand the gas tank skid. However, I've heard very few stories of anyone causing damage with the factory skid. Even on the rubicon trail, that skid seems to hold up fine.

I'd love to do a full belly pan option but I honestly don't want to spend that much or add that much weight for my current wheeling level. Looking for some option between. The most appealing has been the Evo Protek with the exhaust skid. It only adds a net 25# increase over stock and protects everything that is vulnerable. Anyone have any experience with that? The only thing I don't like is that they don't have an option to replace the factory transfer case skid. I'd like to get rid of that last perforated cross member that seems to get hung up a lot.

How has all the aluminum held up? I haven't heard anything bad. That Artec aluminum belly pan looks amazing and only adds I think 8# over stock. However, at $2k price tag, I just can't justify yet. I see several have done the quadratec aluminum. The engine and transfer tank skid have a ship weight of 80# so I'm guessing not much weight savings. Must be the steel cross members.
I have a thread where I compared the 2 full belly systems I have personally used. Metalcloak on my 2019, and Motobilt on my 2020. If you search for threads created by me you be be able to find it.

I have had issues with my Motobilt system, but just the engine skid. However, the customer service of Motobilt has been amazing and they are looking into it. Compared to most others it has the flattest bottom and the boat sides to the frame rail are great. Also has much more coverage overall.

my Metalcloak system was rock solid. I beat it really hard, and it never had any issues.

I think anything for the engine will be a much better upgrade from factory. If I was lifted, the skid concerns would be less. I actually like the Aluminum Quadratec skids. They seem well made and good price. If money was no Object, the Artec Aluminum set would be very hard to beat. If I am unable to get the Motobilt engine skid issues sorted out, I may buy the Quadratec engine skid and modify it to work with the rest of my Motobilt system (I really like the bottom with Motobilt).

Soli

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Moab
Evo protek was easy to install and the material is very very stout. I would suggest this option to everyone.

3048C41A-B2E4-4A4A-8698-120D92D86683.jpeg

C44C0D37-590D-4EFC-AB9F-9331B9D6A0CA.jpeg

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

It ain't cheap, but the Artec aluminum belly pan is worth it's weight in gold. It only adds about 10 pounds if I remember right and actually increases clearance and breakover angle due to removing the factory gas tank skid. I have beat the hell out of it and it has held up fantastically.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Evo option, which i thought offerered the best protection for price and weight.

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
Do you happen to be on stock ride height? If so did you install a bump stop extension? I have this same plate in my garage for my 2020 JLUR but I havent installed it because I did not order the extensions and saw they are recommended in the instructions. Would love to install it lol
Evo protek was easy to install and the material is very very stout. I would suggest this option to everyone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Skid Plate Options and Choices C44C0D37-590D-4EFC-AB9F-9331B9D6A0CA

Jeep Wrangler JL Skid Plate Options and Choices C44C0D37-590D-4EFC-AB9F-9331B9D6A0CA

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you happen to be on stock ride height? If so did you install a bump stop extension? I have this same plate in my garage for my 2020 JLUR but I havent installed it because I did not order the extensions and saw they are recommended in the instructions. Would love to install it lol
Additional bump stop extensions? Do they really recommend that? Why would a skid plate require more bump stop?

This is the skid I've had my eye on. But I didn't know the bump stop was a thing. Seems odd. I just like that it protects what I want without the cost or weight of a fully belly pan. I wish more companies like motobilt or metalcloak or artec would provide a similar style setup.

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
Additional bump stop extensions? Do they really recommend that? Why would a skid plate require more bump stop?

This is the skid I've had my eye on. But I didn't know the bump stop was a thing. Seems odd. I just like that it protects what I want without the cost or weight of a fully belly pan. I wish more companies like motobilt or metalcloak or artec would provide a similar style setup.
I've been told that its possibly due to the drive shaft or control arms contacting the plate. I haven't been able to find anyone complaining about it though so am trying to find people with experience with the skid plate before I buy the bump extensions.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been told that its possibly due to the drive shaft or control arms contacting the plate. I haven't been able to find anyone complaining about it though so am trying to find people with experience with the skid plate before I buy the bump extensions.
Weird. Seems like that would only be a down-travel thing. I'll watch and see what you find. I wish there were more options to cover just the oil pan and transmission lines.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
This may be already answered, but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone make a skid plate system for the diesel? MC so far has only said "we are working on it soon". I know that the diesel is still new but it seems a lot of items you need have not been made yet. (Skid plates, lifts, snorkel and so on) If anyone has information please share it. Thanks.

Soli

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Moab
Im not sure why bump stops would be needed but my jeep has a 3.5” lift

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR

I understand that for the Evo skids you have to remove the factory crossmember? Thoughts on this? Any long term effects?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I haven't had a chance to take it off road yet, but the Quadratec Engine and transmission skid plate I installed last week seems stout and up to the task. Plus it's modular so I can add the transfer case skid later if I feel inclined to do so. It's also made of aluminum so I'm not adding much weight to the Jeep. :like:

I believe the Quadratec instruction say to remove the factory transfer case skid plate. Did you keep it on? If yes, any problems?
Sponsored