Sponsored

Sirius trial running out...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No. The map function on the Jeep’s main screen.
Poor compared to what you get with Google. End of Sirius XM trial has no impact on it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Poor compared to what you get with Google. End of Sirius XM trial has no impact on it.
Wait, I need to understand something.......

when I am up in the mountains there are areas where I don’t get cell coverage.... no cell data, zero.

when that happens, I have been using the built-in Jeep maps with satellite (Sirius?) to navigate.

are you saying that google maps running through car play work WITHOUT a cell connection and also NOT preloaded/saved on the phone?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait, I need to understand something.......

when I am up in the mountains there are areas where I don’t get cell coverage.... no cell data, zero.

when that happens, I have been using the built-in Jeep maps with satellite (Sirius?) to navigate.

are you saying that google maps running through car play work WITHOUT a cell connection and also NOT preloaded/saved on the phone?
@Dkretden

As of a year or so ago, you can save maps of areas you are going to that will come into play, IF you loose communication with cell phone towers.

You need to save the offline Google Maps on your cell phone while you have cell service or WiFi service.. Just go to your Google account and OFFLINE MAPS.

I do this when I'm hooked up to WiFi at the house or hotel, etc.

You will need to have your cell phone connected to JL, USB port via a data cable and then use Apple Car Play or Android Auto to play with Google Maps on your UConnect radio.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

As of a year or so ago, you can save maps of areas you are going to that will come into play, IF you loose communication with cell phone towers.

You need to save the offline Google Maps on your cell phone while you have cell service or WiFi service.. Just go to your Google account and OFFLINE MAPS.

I do this when I'm hooked up to WiFi at the house or hotel, etc.

You will need to have your cell phone connected to JL, USB port via a data cable and then use Apple Car Play or Android Auto to play with Google Maps on your UConnect radio.
Thank you.

i am aware of the “saving the map at home before leaving” solution.

While I have done that before, I also find it a bit of a PITA For me personally. It’s fine for when I know that I am off-road and may need to use a downloaded map. But there are also “on road” areas where I don’t get a signal and I am just trying to navigate from point A to B. Needing to download a map every time I head to the mountains (I’m new to CO and don’t have a sense of where dead spots are) is not optimal. If Siruis is $7 a month, it seems like $84 per year might be worth It to know that the satellite map is always there.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you.

i am aware of the “saving the map at home before leaving” solution.

While I have done that before, I also find it a bit of a PITA For me personally. It’s fine for when I know that I am off-road and may need to use a downloaded map. But there are also “on road” areas where I don’t get a signal and I am just trying to navigate from point A to B. Needing to download a map every time I head to the mountains (I’m new to CO and don’t have a sense of where dead spots are) is not optimal. If Siruis is $7 a month, it seems like $84 per year might be worth It to know that the satellite map is always there.
@Dkretden

Takes me but a few minutes to download Offline Maps that cover the whole State. Again, takes a few minutes. See no reason why you would say a PIA to do so.. Once they are downloaded, they are routinely updated.

I also always maintain a Sirius XM subscription..

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.... Google Maps is pretty hard to equal and I do believe most all here will tell you that is what they use.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
For those of you who are concerned about giving your CC # to Sirius, check and see if your CC company has a virtual # option. Mine has this.

All I have to do is go online and generate a new virtual CC #, which is tied to my account. The number expires the month after it was issued and if some company like Sirius doesn't want to cancel my subscription when I contact them and request it there's nothing they can do to keep charging me each month. ;)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

Takes me but a few minutes to download Offline Maps that cover the whole State. Again, takes a few minutes. See no reason why you would say a PIA to do so.. Once they are downloaded, they are routinely updated.

I also always maintain a Sirius XM subscription..

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.... Google Maps is pretty hard to equal and I do believe most all here will tell you that is what they use.
Thank you for this. I was unaware that I could download “huge areas” and then have them work offline. I took your point and downloaded all of Colorado in 3 slices (eastern, middle, western), turned the connectivity off and was able to plot a route across all three as it the maps were online. I was blind to the ability to do this. Thank you. This really helped me.

separately, Sirius may send you a cease and desist letter as you have likely just cost them a customer. LOL.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
With USAA, I can contest ANY charge. If I cancel Sirius someday and cannot get them to cancel it, the bank will handle it and reimburse all erroneous charges.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
ZERO interest in Sirius. I let my “intro period” expire. Now I get daily offers in the mail...price keeps going down, too. $7 or $8 bucks for 6 months then renews are regular rates.

Not paying for radio. Sirius is junk.
I'm inclined to agree.

At the moment, I'm on the tail end of a free 90 day Sirius subscription that was given to me by my Honda dealer. It was unrequested, and likely done as goodwill in recognizance of the service dept. invoice I had recently paid to have the A/C compressor replaced in Offspring's CR-V.

A credit card was not required to activate the free subscription; otherwise, I'd have had nothing to do with it.

My Ridgeline doesn't have a Sirius tuner-equipped head unit, so I use a 12V Bluetooth device to stream the signal from the app on my phone to the vehicle's radio (via an unused FM station; e.g., 87.7). The Sirius app is sometimes buggy, too. One isn't always guaranteed success when connecting to it, or switching between channels. A minor annoyance.

To be frank, the free subscription has convinced me that there's little value in paying for the service. Not every channel is commercial free, and some channels of mildly similar genres have easily noticed overlap in their playlists. At least one channel plays several songs, recurringly through the day, that are already played to the point of exhaustion on terrestrial radio. That's precisely what I don't want to occur on a paid service.

Thanks, Sirius, but no thanks.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If I let the “Trial” expire, does the satellite map info also expire? (I.e. I can’t use the satellite mapping in the Jeep?)
No. But you will still be tortured by the stupid weather alerts for 5 whole years.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
ZERO interest in Sirius. I let my “intro period” expire. Now I get daily offers in the mail...price keeps going down, too. $7 or $8 bucks for 6 months then renews are regular rates. Not paying for radio. Sirius is junk.
That may be YOUR opinion, but that’s all I listen to. Terrestrial radio is trash. Too many commercials, censored lyrics, etc. I hate when I drive my work vehicle and have to listen to regular radio.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
ZERO interest in Sirius. I let my “intro period” expire. Now I get daily offers in the mail...price keeps going down, too. $7 or $8 bucks for 6 months then renews are regular rates. Not paying for radio. Sirius is junk.
Yeah I thought the same thing, but then when the trial was expiring a month ago, I was able to re-up for $5 a month. Since having Sirius, I think I have used actual radio maybe 4 times in a year, and then only briefly, and that was probably just to listen to NPR so...mah

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Does anyone else's Sirius keep cutting out, usually just when they are getting to something good.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Me too..... when in the city.... in the mountains, there are spots when I have no cell data but the satellite map works....
Yeap, Assisted-GPS is not GPS. ;)
Sponsored