First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Advice needed. I'm trying to make sense of the Warn Power interrupt kit instructions. They only provide instructions for wiring to their external switch and NOT to the JL's Aux wiring. So I drew this up but would love someone smarter than me to take a look if this is right.
Jeep Wrangler JL Simple Wiring diagram for Warn Winch and Warn Power Interrupt Kit Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 9.42.31 AM
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Here's how my PIK is wired.....works flawlessly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Simple Wiring diagram for Warn Winch and Warn Power Interrupt Kit IMG_5256
The only difference I see is that you wired off the PIK to ground instead of neg on battery. Reason I thought this was based on the PIK instructions (see pic)
Jeep Wrangler JL Simple Wiring diagram for Warn Winch and Warn Power Interrupt Kit 8A112472-71A6-4874-9CE9-8E27DBB2D214
Jeep Wrangler JL Simple Wiring diagram for Warn Winch and Warn Power Interrupt Kit 8A112472-71A6-4874-9CE9-8E27DBB2D214

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The only difference I see is that you wired off the PIK to ground instead of neg on battery. Reason I thought this was based on the PIK instructions (see pic)
8A112472-71A6-4874-9CE9-8E27DBB2D214.jpeg
8A112472-71A6-4874-9CE9-8E27DBB2D214.jpeg
@limeade

Does your ground go to the Main battery Neg terminal or to a body ground point?
Goes to the main battery negative terminal.....I labeled it "ground" for simplicity. Both the Warn winch and PIK instructions state to wire directly to battery negative, which is what I did. The PIK ground wire is to negative battery terminal and winch negative cable is to negative battery terminal.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Goes to the main battery negative terminal.....I labeled it "ground" for simplicity. Both the Warn winch and PIK instructions state to wire directly to battery negative, which is what I did.
Thank you sir. So the diagram is correct and you have real world experience.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Goes to the main battery negative terminal.....I labeled it "ground" for simplicity. Both the Warn winch and PIK instructions state to wire directly to battery negative, which is what I did.
@limeade

Lots of guys do wire to the JL's Main battery neg. termial and/but quite frequently you read posts about ESS issues and more. IBS sensor ... is at the Main, Neg. terminal..

Read here for the most recent..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auto-start-stop.77215/post-1610898

Sure you may run with the ground at the Main battery for months years and then issues... 8-(

Probably more prudent to use a body ground when dealing with a JL/JT.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir. So the diagram is correct and you have real world experience.
You're welcome and yes. For the PIK wiring instructions, I replaced the Warn switch with the aux wire in the instructions.....a switch is a switch and works the same.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@limeade

Lots of guys do wire to the JL's Main battery neg. termial and/but quite frequently you read posts about ESS issues and more. IBS sensor ... is at the Main, Neg. terminal..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auto-start-stop.77215/post-1610898

Sure you may run with the ground at the Main battery for months years and then issues... 8-(

I don't have IBS or an aux. battery so no worries there. I always prefer to wire high amp electrical items (such as winches) directly to battery negative terminal. Other things, such as LED lights, etc. I will ground to a good ground post.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
@limeade

So I’m hearing that for the JL I should wire both black wires to body ground instead of neg on the battery. That’s contrary to the instructions from warn but they didn’t write them for the JL. What’s the down side of wiring to body ground for a winch? I know I have ESS (start stop, right?) how do I know if I have a IBS sensor? the Jeep is a JLUR with eTorque 3.6. I’ve got aux wire switch pkg.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m hearing that for the JL I should wire both black wires to body ground instead of neg on the battery. That’s contrary to the instructions from warn but they didn’t write them for the JL. What’s the down side of wiring to body ground for a winch? I know I have ESS (start stop, right?) how do I know if I have a IBS sensor? the Jeep is a JLUR with eTorque 3.6. I’ve got aux wire switch pkg.
If you have eTorque, you don’t have IBS, auxiliary battery, etc to worry about. Your start/stop is controlled through the 48v eTorque battery. I also have eTorque (on the 2.0, but same system). I’d wire the negative wires directly to the negative post on your 12v battery.

Sponsored

OutdoorMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I am an electronics guy and I can't think of any reason not to use the frame assuming its on the grounding lug or on unpainted metal that's attached to the frame/block. Both the battery negatives (if you have auxiliary battery also) is also at this same potential so it's the same electrically. Unless someone else wants to chime in that can think of a good reason not too. I have my winch negative/ground on the ground lug next to the battery.

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited
Wired mine exactly like you have it, push the aux button u hear the relay come on but no power to winch, pretty sure the solenoide is bad I got.

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. The diagram has the 2 middle posts as ground on the left and aux switch to the right when the solenoid is standing upright. Can someone explain why you have it the other way around?

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Quick question. The diagram has the 2 middle posts as ground on the left and aux switch to the right when the solenoid is standing upright. Can someone explain why you have it the other way around?
Since it's DC voltage, it shouldn't matter which of the two middle posts is connected positive or negative. Similar to a DC light bulb. You are energizing the coil to connect the two larger posts. I wired mine the same as the picture in the instructions. Cause why not. :)
Sponsored