Sponsored

Simple question leads to mini garage remodel - Racor hoist and Topsy bracket done!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Fully retracted, what is the distance from the top of the hardtop to the ceiling? Wondering how much room the lift needs at a minimum. My jeep is stock, but ceiling is lower than yours. I guess as long as you can lift it a couple of inches that is enough to pull the jeep out.
I’ll measure, but I remember noticing that it’s about 7 inches.

And yes, as long as you can clear 1 inch (and can lift the back glass up)- you are fine.

I’ll measure for you tonight.
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a problem in the other direction. My Ceiling is 16.5 feet from Floor. Is the cable on the lift long enough for about a 7-8 foot drop?

xijcX8vRTV6mIu+4C4MN8A.jpg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't think the RACOR will drop more than 5', but

Just use longer "J", or RATCHET STRAPS--

No problemo

Good luck

JIMBO

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I wish I had a taller ceiling in my garage. This is a super clean set up.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I don't think the RACOR will drop more than 5', but

Just use longer "J", or RATCHET STRAPS--

No problemo

Good luck

JIMBO
Yes, this. Just extend the straps.

Sponsored

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I’ll measure, but I remember noticing that it’s about 7 inches.

And yes, as long as you can clear 1 inch (and can lift the back glass up)- you are fine.

I’ll measure for you tonight.
My ceiling is definitely under 8 feet high. I'll pull the Jeep in and measure hardtop to ceiling. Sounds like if I have at least 8 inches of clearance, I should be good to go.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
My ceiling is definitely under 8 feet high. I'll pull the Jeep in and measure hardtop to ceiling. Sounds like if I have at least 8 inches of clearance, I should be good to go.
Ok, I was a bit off. Looks like my garage is 8 foot 2 inches. The lift can go as high as clearing 15 inches. So if you are within a reasonable height of 8 foot, you should be ok. I’d say 8 would be minimum.

2B2BEDDA-92A9-442B-9A4A-D4E7B18F57D6.jpeg

Last edited:

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Wow, you guys have clean garages, where do you put all your garage stuff?

Hoist 1.jpg

Hoist 3.jpg

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
When I brought the new Jeep home my kids asked an innocent question. "We thought a Jeep was a convertible, how do you take the top down"? Having a hard top I quickly removed the freedom panels and they were less than impressed :)

I tried to take the top off myself and then with my wife's help but it just wasn't going to work. Time for a garage project.
I like the jack-shaft opener. Didn't even know such a thing existed. How did you choose that particular model? Any suggestions on where to go to get a good price? Looks like they're significantly more expensive than standard garage door openers unfortunately.

Sponsored

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
This thread has been a life saver for me. Found all the parts I needed through the forum to get the installation done. I hired some help to do the install and I’m glad I did. Quality of work is better than I could have done by myself and we got everything installed in just over 1 hour.

Here’s the hoist in the garage. Will get the top off for the first time later today.

4E0A2862-4D41-4897-BEAC-634A92B744F7.jpeg

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
This thread has been a life saver for me. Found all the parts I needed through the forum to get the installation done. I hired some help to do the install and I’m glad I did. Quality of work is better than I could have done by myself and we got everything installed in just over 1 hour.

Here’s the hoist in the garage. Will get the top off for the first time later today.

4E0A2862-4D41-4897-BEAC-634A92B744F7.jpeg
And with the top off. One person job and takes no more than 10 mins. Great investment.

62467BE6-941A-4AA0-B64E-E299F3DC4579.jpeg

Stalefish

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Wow, you guys have clean garages, where do you put all your garage stuff?

Jeep Wrangler JL Simple question leads to mini garage remodel - Racor hoist and Topsy bracket done! 62467BE6-941A-4AA0-B64E-E299F3DC4579

Jeep Wrangler JL Simple question leads to mini garage remodel - Racor hoist and Topsy bracket done! 62467BE6-941A-4AA0-B64E-E299F3DC4579
Jim, is this hoist kit something you purchased, or engineered yourself? I like the design of it and seems very practice and simple. I feel like I could replicate it with some good pulleys and associated components found at my local hardware shops.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Jim, is this hoist kit something you purchased, or engineered yourself? I like the design of it and seems very practice and simple. I feel like I could replicate it with some good pulleys and associated components found at my local hardware shops.
I engineered it myself. I used aluminum plate for the connection brackets simply for ease of install. I've attached my layout drawing with part numbers for the pulleys from McMaster-Carr if you're interested.

View attachment Hoist layout.pdf