Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey fellow Jeep owners I recently purchased my JLU Rubicon in November 2018. I recently made my first aftermarket purchase of some Westin Snyper triple tube rock sliders from Extreme Terrain. I just tried to submit the following rating of this product and the seller Extreme Terrain, but the site wouldn't let me post it. Apparently because I wasn't nice to the seller? So I'm posting it here to provide my opinion on the product which I love and the seller which I lost all faith in. So here it is and I hope it might help my fellow Jeep owners in future purchases.

Anyone else have issues with the Seller Extreme Terrain?

"I originally ordered these rock sliders with the understanding they had a 2-3 week back order. About two weeks into the order, I contacted Extreme Terrain via there chat line to get an update on my order and shipment date. I was told at that time the order was now 3-4 weeks out before it would be shipped. I wasn't happy about this, but didn't complain at that time.

A week later I started looking at other sellers to see what they were selling my Westin Rock Sliders for and saw immediate shipping being offered? I checked the Extreme Terrain website and they also said ships in 2-3 days for the same product I was waiting for?

I re-contacted Extreme Terrain and asked for an update and they gave me a new shipping date of 8 weeks from my purchase date! I told them what they had posted on there website for the same part and their statement of "2-3 days shipping!" I told them this was "False Advertisement" because they were telling me 8 weeks to ship now!

The person I was chatting with explained there advertising people shouldn't have included the 2-3 days because that was incorrect and they would reach out to them to correct the problem. So now I'm pissed and after completing the chat, I submitted a scathing complaint to Extreme Terrain about there False Advertisement and Bait and Switch tactics...

Later that night I check my email and there is a notification from Extreme Terrain that my rock sliders had been shipped??? Imagine that....all of a sudden my additional 6-8 weeks became Today!

So this begs the question; Was there ever a backlog on this product or did they just ship me someone else's back logged order to appease the customer complaint? Now that guy gets the "sorry your shipment has been delayed" message.

So my opinion of Extreme Terrain is below a ONE STAR for their shady business dealings.

As for my Westin Snyper triple tube rock sliders, I rate them FIVE STARS! They are very well built and were pretty straightforward to install. I will back all posters about this being a two person job. I tried with a floor jack by myself for over an hour to install one slider, eventually calling in a buddy with a second floor jack to complete the install. Once he arrived, we had both in place within 45-60 minutes.

During the install we noted it was easier to just loosen the two body bolts instead of completely removing them as per the instructions. This allows you to slide the rock slider in between the body and bolt head without having to try and hold the complete unit up while re-threading the body bolts. This is much easier on your shoulders during the install.

I bought these rock sliders because they looked very sturdy and I saw a similar set up while wheeling and how well the tube slid off of rocks, deflecting from the jeeps body. I also needed a larger step platform than my original mopar sliders provided so my short wife can enter/exit my jeep with less effort. So far she is very happy and we all know the saying Happy Wife....

I would highly recommend the Westin Triple Tube Rock Sliders but don't trust the seller Extreme Terrain."
Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered some Baja Lights from Extreme Terrain mid December, guaranteed to arrive before Xmas, and I was going to be at my sister's house for Xmas so I had them shipped there. They didn't arrive. I was never notified but they were direct ship from Baja and Baja never said anything to anybody but they were backordered. I got a new date in January and through Extreme Terrain I changed the delivery address because I was going to be back at home by then. Without any notice, Baja shipped them finally, but you guessed it, to my sister's address. Speaking with Extreme Terrain, they apologized politely and took full responsibility for the error. They explained why it happened, miscommunication between them and Baja. They covered the cost of my sister shipping the lights back to me. They even sent me a free T shirt.

Mistakes happen, both XT and Baja made them. In my case, around Xmas, like that's never happened before. They made it right. Nobody died. You can be angry about it and refuse to do business with them if you choose, but you could also give them a chance to explain what went wrong and make it right, and not have to give up a big supplier as a potential source. People are human.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
So they shipped in 3 weeks, which was originally advertised? I'm confused. They are also at the mercy of the manufacturer. They don't make them themselves. I wouldn't call it bait and switch at all, I would at worst call it poor inventory control/accounting. Bait and switch is when you advertise one product and deliver something else. You got nothing like that, from what it sounds like. It sounds like you got your stuff in about 3 weeks, I don't understand what the anger and hate is about. Is it 5 star service, no, but less than 1, despite getting the product when expected in good shape? Get over it. At any point did you try to cancel the order due to excessive wait times?

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wouldn't necessarily call what looks like a miscommunication between departments "shady business practices." But that's just me.

ajn507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon XR 392
That is not “bait and switch”
I swear people can complain about everything.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Stores can't control the lead times of manufacturers, but they SHOULD control the advertising up front. Make it known that something is drop shipped, AND, don't put an item up for sale until the manufacturer can deliver. As someone that runs a business myself, the DUMBEST reason to piss off customers is because of someone else's mistake. DO NOT put a product on your website until you have a guarantee that it can be shipped immediately. This will do 2 things....first, it will force the manufacturer to produce parts, because otherwise, they won't sell anything. Manufacturers are relying on presales (sales without delivering product) to FINANCE the building of said product, thus, offset the cost risk onto the customer. Second, it will prevent people like the OP from having a sour taste in their mouth and taking it out on the retailer. Hopefully some retailers actually listen and stop selling stuff they don't actually have in stock and can't ship within a few days.

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you got your sliders within your original stated delivery time. They are a forum sponsor here so you could PM them your question.

Only because i did write them a complaint or I would still be waiting...as I said I tried to post my review on their forum and they rejected it, hence my post on this forum to notify others. Just trying to inform you and everyone else of the timeline of events.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Only because i did write them a complaint or I would still be waiting...as I said I tried to post my review on their forum and they rejected it, hence my post on this forum to notify others. Just trying to inform you and everyone else of the timeline of events.
So the timeline is the parts arrived on time and undamaged? Is that the issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered some Baja Lights from Extreme Terrain mid December, guaranteed to arrive before Xmas, and I was going to be at my sister's house for Xmas so I had them shipped there. They didn't arrive. I was never notified but they were direct ship from Baja and Baja never said anything to anybody but they were backordered. I got a new date in January and through Extreme Terrain I changed the delivery address because I was going to be back at home by then. Without any notice, Baja shipped them finally, but you guessed it, to my sister's address. Speaking with Extreme Terrain, they apologized politely and took full responsibility for the error. They explained why it happened, miscommunication between them and Baja. They covered the cost of my sister shipping the lights back to me. They even sent me a free T shirt.

Mistakes happen, both XT and Baja made them. In my case, around Xmas, like that's never happened before. They made it right. Nobody died. You can be angry about it and refuse to do business with them if you choose, but you could also give them a chance to explain what went wrong and make it right, and not have to give up a big supplier as a potential source. People are human.
Glad it worked out for you and for me as well, but only due to our complaints...I was just telling my story for the group to be aware, not ban the business. Like you said, it's my choice to use them or another seller. Thanks for your response and insight.

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So the timeline is the parts arrived on time and undamaged? Is that the issue?
LOL, guess there are Trolls everywhere...enjoy

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Stores can't control the lead times of manufacturers, but they SHOULD control the advertising up front. Make it known that something is drop shipped, AND, don't put an item up for sale until the manufacturer can deliver. As someone that runs a business myself, the DUMBEST reason to piss off customers is because of someone else's mistake. DO NOT put a product on your website until you have a guarantee that it can be shipped immediately. This will do 2 things....first, it will force the manufacturer to produce parts, because otherwise, they won't sell anything. Manufacturers are relying on presales (sales without delivering product) to FINANCE the building of said product, thus, offset the cost risk onto the customer. Second, it will prevent people like the OP from having a sour taste in their mouth and taking it out on the retailer. Hopefully some retailers actually listen and stop selling stuff they don't actually have in stock and can't ship within a few days.
Thanks for reading my post and responding.

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is not “bait and switch”
I swear people can complain about everything.
You're right it's not bait and switch. My poor choice of wording, but it definitely isn't a professional way to run a business and expect repeat business. I was just trying to inform the forum of poor service. You're right though "people can complain about everything" including this post...:LOL:

OP
OP
brewskisteve

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you got your sliders within your original stated delivery time. They are a forum sponsor here so you could PM them your question.
Mike, as previously stated in my original post, I did complain to them and again, that was the only reason I eventually received my purchase on time. That was due to that complaint, not there stellar service. I know they are a sponsor, hence the post.
Sponsored