Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Is it possible to bypass the big hill(s) but still have fun riding the dunes?
Absolutely. Depending on how busy it is I may avoid Test Hill, where most of the craziness happens. It is a very big park and if you wanted to only play on fairly level surfaces you would be able to do that.
Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes,
I would say that a third of the park are "big hills" that are blocked by "test hill". This is the area directly to your left as you enter. The area to your right of where you enter is one way (coming towards you at that point) but is much easier terrain. Also, straight ahead, near the beach is an area that is a lot of fun with dunes and trees. That area is any direction so use caution!

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1624386507039

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Will be in Michigan camping and visiting in-laws in a couple of weeks, so this peaked my interest...until I looked up directions. 4 hour drive one way from where we'll be (in what my in-laws call the hangnail of the thumb). Probably for the best with mine being stock.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have 35" BFG AT tires, otherwise stock suspension. I stuck it at top of Test hill. Guy in a bone stock JK equipped with all season street tires came and pulled me out.

But yes, I played around on flatter stuff for an hour or so before I started climbing the bigger stuff.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Just got back from Silver Lake yesterday and had a blast. Never rode a trail, zero experience, and a stock JLU Rubicon.

I didn't have anybody else to ride with so it was just myself. I didn't do test hill, but drove out to the beach, and then around the area of smaller hills with the trees. Rode down to the drag strip area just to see what it was about. There's also a larger sized dune on the north side of the beach (sunset dune?) but I skipped that one too.

I did air down to about 14psi and didn't have a problem breaking a bead. I also stayed in 4H with 'off-road' mode on, traction and ESC turned off, and didn't bother engaging the lockers. Didn't have a single problem.

I would encourage you to try it out and see what it's like. When I first entered, I thought oh man, this is much tougher than I thought. But after getting used to the sand, I was surprised at the capabilities of the Jeep and we all had a lot of fun.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The funny thing is I took my son up there so we could watch the sunset from the dunes. It is beautiful. They look like this. (old pics I will get to that)

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1624707031768

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1624707059108

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1624707124902

So after dinner we return to the dunes and have about three hours before sunset. I ask my son who has been in the navy for about 8 years if he wants to wait for the sunset or head home and spend his last night with his mom before he flys back to Japan in the morning.

He said, "Dad I know the sunset is beautiful here, but I have been out to sea on five of the big nuclear aircraft carriers and while it would be cool to see, it probably does not compare to sitting on the deck of an aircraft carrier on equator watching F-18 fighter plans come in for landings at sunset. " I responded with copy that, lets air up point this Jeep towards home so you can watch sunset with your mom."
Sponsored