Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
For me it would have to be weekends only. I don't really have any time off during the week this summer.

I loved Japan. I was stationed at Misawa many years ago. Someday I'd like to go back.
He is stationed at Atsugi base. He has been in for almost 10 years. Been in Japan about 3 years and this is the first time he has been home since going to Japan. My wife and I planned on visiting him last year and postponed it to this year. But the whole covid thing has shot all those plans to heck.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We should be up there about 1130 to 1200. I have been taking him to the dunes since he was about 3 years old. I have been going to the dunes since the late 80s.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I go up most weekends, been driving up there for about 40 years.

Wave me down if you see me and want to say hi. A couple key things I do when driving on the dunes. Same for all the JK,s I drove up there from stock to modified, and now my 392.

1) Lower your tire pressure alot - like 10lbs. I see people up there daily with 15-20lbs and they get stuck and the ride must be punishing. I rarely see people with tires peeled off the rim unless they are driving stupid (sharp turns while driving
2) Don't go over big hills until you get your bearings. Can be and is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
3) I would suggest 4hi, not 4lo. You will spend most time in 1st and second gear in hi. Lo range just constantly shifting and not enough wheel speed.
4) Turn off your traction and ESP. Look in the manual for your specific model, but just a quick push DOES NOT turn it off completely. I have to push and hold for like 10-15 seconds. Wheel spin is ok and usually good to build momentum.
5) RPM's are your friend. If you have an automatic shift into 1st and second gear manually, it will help especially when you are ready to tackle the big hills
6) Watch out for everyone else. It's a free for all and can be, and is dangerous.

Edit:
7) Weekends from Memorial day to Labor day are by far the busiest times. Week days are a nice time.
Thank you so much, this is great. My father-in-law is dead set on going on the dune ride before to show me how, but i do not want to spend the money for that. He used to go in his scrambler back in the day, and i would venture to say he’s nervous to give me advice, doesnt want to be liable lol.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Thank you so much, this is great. My father-in-law is dead set on going on the dune ride before to show me how, but i do not want to spend the money for that. He used to go in his scrambler back in the day, and i would venture to say he’s nervous to give me advice, doesnt want to be liable lol.
Well since you mention it, these are what I do. Anything you take from this is at your own risk, your own choice. Bad things happen up there all the time, you have to own your own choices and actions.

:)

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Watched a guy full send a stock JKUR. Approx 8 feet in the air and landed about 50 feet down the dune. I was high sided and he was going to pull me over the top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 3705256F-CE24-4163-92C7-8B6C22EEA8A1

He crested this at approximately 20 to 25 mph.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Make no mistake, it can be a dangerous place. Enjoy it, have fun, but be aware of the risks. This happens all the time (so far about 10 times this year). This year has been more dangerous due to unusual spring wind directions causing more peaks and surprise dropoffs that usually aren't there. Plus the lack of rain and lowering water levels (finally) has allowed the sand to move even more freely and be deeper/softer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Wow that’s wild. I was playing around on some hunting trails out here in Greenville that are all sand. 4hi and high rpm works great especially for hills, airing down will be night and day.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Watched a guy full send a stock JKUR. Approx 8 feet in the air and landed about 50 feet down the dune. I was high sided and he was going to pull me over the top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest

He crested this at approximately 20 to 25 mph.
Did he break anything after launching it like that?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Most of the dunes required a little bit extra to get over as the wind was blowing hard and making the dunes a knife edge or a big wave at the top. It was very easy to get a little air over the top or to high center. Very few of the dunes rolled over the top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1623847600760

Getting ready to launch a Jeep duck..... to the wild blue yonder.
Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1623847672577

All the drag racing has been stopped. No more lining up 8 to ten vehicles and racing down the strip. The dunes even had a tractor that would level the drag strip back out if it got to rough.

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver Lake Dunes Michigan Interest 1623847548371

I did pull about 15 people out that were stuck in various places around the dune. The kinetic rope is such a great recovery tool. Nothing like guys in lifted diesel trucks saying you will not be able to get them off the top of a dune and then easily pulling them out.

As always the Chicken Stack pulled through with the best wings ever.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Did he break anything after launching it like that?
He did not. We all commented on how many stock vehicles can you jump like that and then just drive away like nothing happened. The driver was shaken for a couple minutes.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What is the kinetic rope?
A rubber band of a tow strap. Tow straps don't have any give to them, whereas a kinetic rope does. I'm not expert, but it's the preferred recovery method. While never using a tow strap or kinetic rope, I think a kinetic rope is smoother and allows for a much nicer snatch than a jerk from a static strap.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
A rubber band of a tow strap. Tow straps don't have any give to them, whereas a kinetic rope does. I'm not expert, but it's the preferred recovery method. While never using a tow strap or kinetic rope, I think a kinetic rope is smoother and allows for a much nicer snatch than a jerk from a static strap.
Good basic answer. It also enables a smaller vehicle to recover a larger vehicle. Basically, you leave slack in the rope and take off, up to about 10 mph and the rope will stretch and transfer energy smooth with out the Jerk.....

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
Is it possible to bypass the big hill(s) but still have fun riding the dunes?
Sponsored