Silent Panda's Rubicon build update #2 - Metalcloak Bump Stops

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
UPDATE #2 on our Rubicon build. We installed Metalcloak's DuroSpring MCU bumpstops. These were installed at the same time as the inner fenders...I wanted to post the install and report my impression of the bumpstops after a couple of trial rides.

The first build post and some tasty pics can be found at the link below:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/silent-pandas-2-door-rubicon-build.25628/

These look to be a better solution for a Jeep that is a trail truck...air bumps need high piston rod speeds to be effective...trail riding and rock crawling do not typically generate those speeds.

These bumpstops are much longer than the stock units. This should give longer and more progressive travel while in the bumpstops.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_748d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7480.jpg

The installation is VERY easy on the rear simply pull out the stock bumper and push in the new one.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_74a6.jpg

The front was a little more involved...rather than fight with the bumpers through the spring, I dropped the axle, pulled the spring and swapped out the bump stops.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7477.jpg

To say I am pleased with the new bumpstops is understatement. While we were in Moab we were into the stops more than a few times and the transition was pretty damn abrupt.

With the Metacloak DuroSpring bumpstops, you can still feel when you are into them but the transition is much more subtle and less jarring. Very smooth.

These are an excellent alternative to air bumps in our application and in my opinion far more appropriate (and far less expensive!) for a trail rig.

As we get more trails runs on them, I'll update this post with more info. If you have any questions...fire away.
Sponsored

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How much travel does the front axle have before it gets into the new metal cloak bump?

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
How much travel does the front axle have before it gets into the new metal cloak bump?
I will measure tonight for what it is on my set-up...your's may vary depending on your lift and dampers body length.

There will be a difference in free travel since the Metalcloak bumpers are longer. Their added length gives a longer engagement length and allows for the more progressive action of these over the stock bumpers.

Since, the solid height (compressed height) of the stock bumpers and DuroSpring are the same, there is not reduction in up travel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I verified with Metalcloak that the fully compressed stock bumper and and fully compressed DuraSpring are the same height. (Solid height)

There in no change in total suspension travel.

Think of the DuroSpring more like a long travel jounce bumper.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I verified with Metalcloak that the fully compressed stock bumper and and fully compressed DuraSpring are the same height. (Solid height)

Thanks for that info.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase

@Matsonian can you please confirm that the JL DuroSpring bump stops compress down to the OEM bump stop height at full compression? I bought a full set of DuroSprings but have not installed them yet. I bought them based on the information in this thread where DuroSprings and OEM are the same compressed height; but when I read about DuroSpring bump stops in other locations there is information that the compressed length is up to 1” longer than OEM and maybe only 0.5” longer than OEM.

I have a 392XR which has very limited up-travel and if the DuroSpring bump stops reduce that total up travel at all I don’t think they will work for me. Please confirm one way or another.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@Matsonian can you please confirm that the JL DuroSpring bump stops compress down to the OEM bump stop height at full compression? I bought a full set of DuroSprings but have not installed them yet. I bought them based on the information in this thread where DuroSprings and OEM are the same compressed height; but when I read about DuroSpring bump stops in other locations there is information that the compressed length is up to 1” longer than OEM and maybe only 0.5” longer than OEM.

I have a 392XR which has very limited up-travel and if the DuroSpring bump stops reduce that total up travel at all I don’t think they will work for me. Please confirm one way or another.
Matsonian can provide the final word but my experience with these shows that they do compress to the stock height. I lost no uptravel with them and did not remove any pucks from axle.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Matsonian can provide the final word but my experience with these shows that they do compress to the stock height. I lost no uptravel with them and did not remove any pucks from axle.
That is exactly what I’d like. I’m adding a 2.5” lift solely to increase up-travel. My original plans were to install these Durospring’s at the same time. If the DuroSprings reduce up travel at all I’m wasting the whole reason for the lift.

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
That is exactly what I’d like. I’m adding a 2.5” lift solely to increase up-travel. My original plans were to install these Durospring’s at the same time. If the DuroSprings reduce up travel at all I’m wasting the whole reason for the lift.
I’m in the same boat currently. Are you still liking these bumpers? And complains?

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the same boat currently. Are you still liking these bumpers? And complains?
I purchased a full set of the MC bump stops but wound up not installing them. I still have them in case I give in and try 37” tires instead of the stock XR 35”. With the 2.5” Clayton lift installed and no additional bump stop height I have to try really hard to get into the stock bumptops now. The lift worked very well in that regard.

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I purchased a full set of the MC bump stops but wound up not installing them. I still have them in case I give in and try 37” tires instead of the stock XR 35”. With the 2.5” Clayton lift installed and no additional bump stop height I have to try really hard to get into the stock bumptops now. The lift worked very well in that regard.
Thanks, great to know.
Sponsored