Sponsored

Signs of Failing Auxillary Battery?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am starting to see the brakes and ABS light flash for a few seconds immediately after startup then disappear.

I thought I read this was a sign of the auxillary battery failing or did I dream that?

Is that battery covered for 3/36?
Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Curious about this myself. I'm getting the message that says something like "aux switches not available, battery charging" at startup. Disappears after a minute.

Jeronimo44

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon X 4xe
I just dropped my 2019 2.0T off at the dealer because the aux warning popped up and my ESS has been only lasting for 3-5 seconds at stop lights and turning back on. Battery voltage in the screen has been consistently between 13.6-14.1b

I’ll keep y’all posted on what the dealer says over the next few days.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Easiest way to tell aux battery is failing is when ESS stops working due to "battery charging". This message appeared even after I trickle charged overnight. I changed the aux battery with one from Autozone (AUX14). I didn't want to wait till I got stranded. ESS works now. I'll soon probably have to change the main battery, too.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Easiest way to tell aux battery is failing is when ESS stops working due to "battery charging". This message appeared even after I trickle charged overnight. I changed the aux battery with one from Autozone (AUX14). I didn't want to wait till I got stranded. ESS works now. I'll soon probably have to change the main battery, too.
Yeah...I don't wait to wait until it fails.

Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Found a few threads discussing the message I'm seeing. Solution seems to be new battery or batteries. I guess I need to go to the dealer and see if they'll replace under warranty. I haven't found anything definitive on the battery warranty length though.

I do have a Tazer plugged in that keeps ESS off, maybe I'll disconnect it to see if ESS is working like it's supposed to.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Mine has failed twice with no warning. Both times resulted in a tow to the dealer. I’m now running the Genesis dual battery system. I don’t enjoy hanging out in busy intersections waiting for a tow truck.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Curious about this myself. I'm getting the message that says something like "aux switches not available, battery charging" at startup. Disappears after a minute.
Had that same message a few months ago, ended up getting 2 new batteries within a week of seeing it. My jl sports s was just under 2 year's old when it happened.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Another Genesis adherent. Never had a mini batt failure because I swapped out my factory batteries within a month of buying my Jeep.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine fail 7 months into ownership and was replaced under warranty but shortly after I got the battery charging msg again so jumped on the Genesis train quite while back and no issues, yes I do have ESS disabled with a SSS module but I do occasionally check messages and ESS and no issues at all.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I believe that there is an issue with the Tazer JL mini being programed out of the box with a setting turned on when it should have been shipped with the option off, then if you want it turned on you do so. Something with braking.....folks were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. On startup, brakes lights and ABS would flash along with the physical brakes themselves being able to be pushed almost to the floor. It happened to me when I re-married the Tazer after updating the firmware. Sorry I don't remember exactly which setting it was, though it was in live settings I think.....!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that there is an issue with the Tazer JL mini being programed out of the box with a setting turned on when it should have been shipped with the option off, then if you want it turned on you do so. Something with braking.....folks were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. On startup, brakes lights and ABS would flash along with the physical brakes themselves being able to be pushed almost to the floor. It happened to me when I re-married the Tazer after updating the firmware. Sorry I don't remember exactly which setting it was, though it was in live settings I think.....!
Thanks, I will check this. I flashed my Tazer with the latest firmware when I recently re-geared. I am still wondering about the auxillary battery though since I am at the 2 year mark.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I will check this. I flashed my Tazer with the latest firmware when I recently re-geared. I am still wondering about the auxillary battery though since I am at the 2 year mark.
Offering this: i JUST upgraded to the latest Tazer FW as well and noticed your flashing symptoms for the first time. Not sure if it's Tazer FW related..?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My aux battery has made it 3.5 years without failing, the main battery was replaced at 3 years. I just replaced the aux while it was still good so now I have a known good spare incase there is a shortage of aux batteries when I need one.
Sponsored