Significance of Wheel Weight

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Subscribing. Those rims are really sharp but I would be concerned about weight. Particularly if you're already concerned about weight and you thought they weighed less....
Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few threads on this topic. As some of the people here have mentioned it is not just the unsprung weight, but also the rotational weight. It is not as bad as some people (I've seen claims as high as 10x), more like 2 x the actual weight of the wheel. For example: If you add 40lbs per wheel for wheels and big tires, you are essentially adding 4x40x2 = 320lbs when it comes acceleration, braking, MPG etc. Think of it as permanently having 2 passengers in the back.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I have spent countless hours researching wheels and tires to find the optimal wheel/tire combination for my needs. One of the considerations was not only the weight of the tire but the weight of the wheel. I selected an 18" tire (Mastercraft Courser MXT, 295x70x18, weight 61 lb) and the Black Rhino Barstow in matte black (18x9 with +30 offset). I wanted a more positive offset as I like my tires more tucked in as opposed to poking out for various reasons. The issue I am now having is that after finally receiving the wheels from Discount Tire Direct (they were special ordered), the wheels in my opinion weigh significantly more than what I was told. The rep from DTD told me 29 lbs. I then personally called and spoke to a Black Rhino rep and he told me 26 lb. These weights had me thoroughly excited about the wheel I had selected. So today I personally weighed the wheel and it weighs 36 lb. That is a huge discrepancy in my opinion. How could the quoted weights be so far off?

So my question is am I making too much of a deal out of how much each wheel weighs? Should I be concerned about combined weight of 97 lbs. on each corner vs the anticipated 87 - 90 lbs. I was expecting? Am I overthinking this? Any advice/opinions are welcome. I tentatively have an appointment for install of wheels and tires in less than 24 hours.

Here are what the wheels look like:

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG
Update on my original post. I ended up doing a little more research and looked at dozens more wheel options in 18" diameter. The consensus was the majority of wheels that caught my eye and met my criteria for a more positive offset weighed at least (36 lbs) if not more than the Black Rhino Barstows which I had ordered in from Discount Tire Direct. These wheels included several Fuel Wheels and KMC XD Wheels. Long story short, I ended up taking a chance and had the Black Rhino Barstow wheels mounted and installed on my JL Sahara Unlimited and couldn't be more happy that I did. So far I have not noticed any change in acceleration that I was concerned about. The 3.45 gearing with the 8 speed auto transmission is handling the added weight on each corner quite well. I give myself a little more breaking distance but this I was expecting regardless. And just as important, I am quite pleased with the quality and aesthetics of the Black Rhino Barstow wheel. I still have to install my Rough Country spare tire extender and pair my Tazer JL Lite. Here are a couple of pictures of the wheels installed on Mastercraft Courser MXTs.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
Looks great- I actually have the same wheels, deciding on tires. Have you noticed any major performance differences from stock with the extra tire and wheel weight?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks great- I actually have the same wheels, deciding on tires. Have you noticed any major performance differences from stock with the extra tire and wheel weight?
I used the Tazer lite to reprogram for my larger tires. This adjusted the shift points as well. On paper, the weight of my new wheel (Black Rhino Barstow, 18x8, +30) plus tire (Mastercraft Courser MXT, 295-70-18) combination was 97 lbs. I did not notice any significant difference in acceleration or performance when compared to stock set up. I do notice the difference in breaking and stopping but I expected that and have adjusted my driving habits to allow more distance when I break. Hope this helps.

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
New I used the Tazer lite to reprogram for my larger tires. This adjusted the shift points as well. On paper, the weight of my new wheel (Black Rhino Barstow, 18x8, +30) plus tire (Mastercraft Courser MXT, 295-70-18) combination was 97 lbs. I did not notice any significant difference in acceleration or performance when compared to stock set up. I do notice the difference in breaking and stopping but I expected that and have adjusted my driving habits to allow mor
Thanks for the info. Those tires are on my shortlist as well. It’s a great looking set-up. I hear they are pretty quiet for mt tires as well.

stuckonjeeps

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 JK 75th Anniversary
Do you happen to have a list you made of the weights of the tires and wheels you were considering. I feel like a list like that would be beneficial to a lot of new or future owners of all these ‘19s coming in soon.
I've been working on selecting tires for a 2019 JL Rubicon, Weight is important to me. My 2012 with 35x12.50/R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers didn't hold up as well as my 2016 with the same tire in a 285/75/R18. I want to go back to a larger tire, here's what I have so far:

tire weight 2018.JPG

stuckonjeeps

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 JK 75th Anniversary
Update on my original post. I ended up doing a little more research and looked at dozens more wheel options in 18" diameter. The consensus was the majority of wheels that caught my eye and met my criteria for a more positive offset weighed at least (36 lbs) if not more than the Black Rhino Barstows which I had ordered in from Discount Tire Direct. These wheels included several Fuel Wheels and KMC XD Wheels. Long story short, I ended up taking a chance and had the Black Rhino Barstow wheels mounted and installed on my JL Sahara Unlimited and couldn't be more happy that I did. So far I have not noticed any change in acceleration that I was concerned about. The 3.45 gearing with the 8 speed auto transmission is handling the added weight on each corner quite well. I give myself a little more breaking distance but this I was expecting regardless. And just as important, I am quite pleased with the quality and aesthetics of the Black Rhino Barstow wheel. I still have to install my Rough Country spare tire extender and pair my Tazer JL Lite. Here are a couple of pictures of the wheels installed on Mastercraft Courser MXTs.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG
Love it! Sting Gray rocks and the Black Rhino rims are a great match. I'm leaning toward the Black Rhino Armory, thinking the finish may be a little lighter gray but it couldn't look any better than yours!

OrthoPA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have spent countless hours researching wheels and tires to find the optimal wheel/tire combination for my needs. One of the considerations was not only the weight of the tire but the weight of the wheel. I selected an 18" tire (Mastercraft Courser MXT, 295x70x18, weight 61 lb) and the Black Rhino Barstow in matte black (18x9 with +30 offset). I wanted a more positive offset as I like my tires more tucked in as opposed to poking out for various reasons. The issue I am now having is that after finally receiving the wheels from Discount Tire Direct (they were special ordered), the wheels in my opinion weigh significantly more than what I was told. The rep from DTD told me 29 lbs. I then personally called and spoke to a Black Rhino rep and he told me 26 lb. These weights had me thoroughly excited about the wheel I had selected. So today I personally weighed the wheel and it weighs 36 lb. That is a huge discrepancy in my opinion. How could the quoted weights be so far off?

So my question is am I making too much of a deal out of how much each wheel weighs? Should I be concerned about combined weight of 97 lbs. on each corner vs the anticipated 87 - 90 lbs. I was expecting? Am I overthinking this? Any advice/opinions are welcome. I tentatively have an appointment for install of wheels and tires in less than 24 hours.

Here are what the wheels look like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Significance of Wheel Weight tire weight 2018.JPG

Hey , Rob here, also a PA. love the ride... looking to get the same set up for my JLUR. Wondering if the wheels stick out pass the fenders at all or are they just in line with them? thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey , Rob here, also a PA. love the ride... looking to get the same set up for my JLUR. Wondering if the wheels stick out pass the fenders at all or are they just in line with them? thanks
Hey Rob. The wheels were right in line. I did not want all that poke and then the spray from the tires constantly hitting the side of my Jeep.

OrthoPA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey Rob. The wheels were right in line. I did not want all that poke and then the spray from the tires constantly hitting the side of my Jeep.
Thanks. I see you got 18x9 +30 offset. Didn't know they came in 9.... I do like the look of them sticking out just a bit and the guy at a local shop here said he could get them in 18x9.5 and i think those are -18 offset... I wonder if thats a bit too far out

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
It isn't just unsprung weight, it is also rotational weight, which makes a huge difference in power/torque loss. The farther out the weight is, the more power you loose.

So saving 7+ lbs on the tire will make a bigger difference than saving 7+ lbs on the wheel. However any weight savings on that rotational weight is a benefit.

36lbs per wheel isn't horrible compared to many wheels. The non-beadlock wheels will be the lighter, some in the 28lb. range.
Many beadlock wheels are up in the 40+ Lb. range.
^^^ This

The unsprung weight will affect ride and handling. I don't think 7 lbs per corner could be noticed on a solid axle vehicle. You might be able to tell on a sports car.

The rotational weight (polar moment of inertia) goes up with the square of the distance from the center of the wheel. I ran the numbers once for my 5,000 lb CJ-7 with 40's on Hummer beadlocks (about 160 lbs per corner by memory) and damned if the wasn't as much kinetic energy stored in the wheels and tires as the entire rest of the vehicle. This is why I'm not a fan of the "it's like putting 8 times the weight in the trunk" rules of thumb. But again, I doubt you could tell the wheels are 7 lbs heavier on a Jeep. Going from 33's to 35's and gaining 7 lbs is very noticeable.

Keep in mind modern brakes are up to the task. If you can activate the ABS in a panic stop then the brakes are not the weak link.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I see you got 18x9 +30 offset. Didn't know they came in 9.... I do like the look of them sticking out just a bit and the guy at a local shop here said he could get them in 18x9.5 and i think those are -18 offset... I wonder if thats a bit too far out
-18 offset would sit out too far for my liking

RenegadeJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLU

Hello sir, great wheels on your rigs there. I’m currently planning on getting a 315/70R17 tires with 17x9 rims, however, most i’ve seen have negative offset which makes it the tire poke out further from the fender.

with your setup (17x8 with +30 offset right) i might go with this route, the stance looks great. I won’t be doing any heavy rock trailing. Any rubbing you experience so far on full lock or the fender liner?
Sponsored